“Lovely food, warm welcome... A great find!”
Review of Cwellyn Arms

Cwellyn Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Rhyd Ddu
Cuisines: Pub, Welsh
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We were staying at a nearby B&B and ended up eating twice at the Cwellyn arms during our 3 night stay as we so impressed. The first we chose from the evening menu, the second time from the equally impressive bar menu. The Chef's do an excellent job, fresh local produce with an imaginative menu. The slow cooked lamb shank was delicious. A warm welcome from both bar and waiting staff and a lovely log fire. Highly recommended!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I quite often enjoy a Sunday wandering around snowdonia and last Sunday was no exeption. On our way back from Beddgelert we stopped off in a lovely little walkers pub at the very bottom of snowdon, the smells coming out of the kitchen were simply define! we both had their sunday roast. The pork was lovely and tender and we were very surprised to notice that it was all homemade which struck a wonderful cord with my wife and I, simply because its very rare to find a little hidden gem like this..the bar was lovely and cozy and it had a wonderful open fire. We finished our exellent main course with a baked alaska ( they called it something else...snowdon I think!!) which was beautiful and well presented.

I would definately recommend this lovely pub, were going to make a habit of passing through Rhyd Ddu as often as we can.

( dont know were you were eating mr. Welsh Gaz but I think nasty unhelpful comments like that should stay in South Wales, Food 10/10 ,Service 10/10) we shall return!!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I visited this pub because the reviews were pretty good. Don't be fooled!! The food is very over priced, however I thought i dont mind paying a little over for a good quality meal. I have eaten at many pubs and restaurants across the country and I've got to be fair to say that this place was disgusting. I ordered two pork Sunday roasts at £22.95 when they arrived they looked fine, it was presented well and looked really appetising. This was where it all ended, the food was covered in pepper and the red cabbage was over powering with balsamic vinegar. The pork was very fatty and the pork crackling needed a razor " if you know what I mean" looked like someone hair piece fell on my plate. Overall it was very disappointing and I definatly wouldn't eat there again. I can't understand how all the good reviews, all I can say these people must have no taste buds or very strong stomach's.

2  Thank welshgaz
Cwellyn A, General Manager at Cwellyn Arms, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

We openly receive feedback both positive and negative and respect that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That does not give you permission to insult those that disagree, it seems to me that you are trying to discredit our business.
Our pork dishes are freerange and from a local farm.
There is no pepper in our Roast Pork although the rims of the plates are decorated with pepper.
Our red cabbage is a popular side vegetable and does not contain any balsamic vineagar.
Your waitress, on the day of your visit, has reported that she did check with you, after tasting your food, to ascertain whether everything was allright with your meal and was assured so and no complaint was made.
We always have a Manager on duty and if you had made your comments known at the time, we could have dealt with your concerns immediately and in person.
Julie

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have stayed here a couple of times with friends and would definitely go again, particularly with the family. The camp site is really well organised the facilities are good. I like the no nonsense policy on noise and music on site. The pub has some good ales but needs to decide where it wants to pitch itself in terms of food. What most people want after a day on the hills is a massive plate of food, at a good price. Pete´s Eats in Llamberis understand this. What you get at the Cwellyn Arms is very nice, expensive food with portions on the small side, as other trip adviser reviews have observed. You can spend a lot of money and still be hungry. If it wants to be a quality gastro pub then fine, they will just have to do something about the general state of the Gents and the “communal” cloth hand towel as the only way of drying your hands (wince). I would suggest a “bar menu” to serve hungry mountaineers and a restaurant menu, to serve the country drivers, with prices pitched appropriately. My overall experience of the pub and camp site are good, I would happily go back there. I may choose to dine elsewhere.

Cwellyn A, General Manager at Cwellyn Arms, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you for your review, we are pleased that you enjoyed our campsite and our new facilities.
However, I do not fully comprehend your comparison of Cwellyn Arms to Pete's Eats Cafe in Llanberis. Cwellyn Arms is a country inn with a 26 seater restaurant compared to Pete's Eats which is a large Cafe (approx 100 seats) situated in a busy tourist town with major attractions such as Snowdon Mountain Railway and Electric Mountain.
Our three outstanding chef's do offer a bar menu ( with homemade pies, homemade rolls with various fillings, beefburgers, sausages and gammon from our local butcher and a lot more) and a Special's menu from 12 noon to 6pm every day to cater for walkers and climber's and all.
The evening is the time for the chef's to excell and do what they love to do:- experiment, try new dishes whilst supporting local suppliers. This is more costly than ordering bulk pre made foods and we have always found the vast majority of our customers do prefer this. We try to offer a warm atmosphere where customers can relax in front of a real fire and enjoy anywhere between 1 and 3 courses to spoil themsleves and savour the freshly cooked local produce after a full days walking, rather than a quick snack to simply to refuel.
I do agree on the 'communal towel, it is not now acceptable and we have been looking at alternatives and have today installed two dyson airblade dryers for the gents and the ladies.
Our aim is to always try our best and we do take notice of our customers requirements.
At the end of the day if you want a Cafe you go to a Cafe if you want a Country Inn and Restaurant you go to a Country Inn and Restaurant!
Julie

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had a reservation for 13 people for a meal and despite having to put back our arrival time having spent a fabulous day on the mountains we were all served with excellent meals, piping hot and cooked to a high standard. We were all very impressed.