“Back in time”

National Slate Museum
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Llanberis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This working museum tells the history of the slate industry.
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was an unexpected highlight of the holiday, especially the slate cutting demonstration, also slate articles are better priced here than in the souvenir shops which abound.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Recommend for anyone in the area looking to find out more regarding the slate industry and production of slate.

This was a very interesting place to visit. I think this is a good place to take older kids.

The facilities are good, there were a couple of audio visual showings to help bring the exhibits to life, as well as a live slate demonstration.

My group found the museum and exhibits very interesting and informative.

There was no entry charge.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We wandered over the river to the Slate Museum because we were unable to get a train for Snowdon & thoroughly enjoyed the experience. There are films, exhibits, workshops & slate-cutting demonstrations & also reconstructed slate workers houses & a hospital that dealt with the many injuries of the workers.
The entrance is free & there is a café & shop. Worth a look!

Reviewed June 19, 2014

We visitied the museum for a couple of hours in the morning however we wish we had allocated more time to see all the exhibits in grater detail. There is much to see and marvel at here with many rooms showing not only how slate was processed but also how machinery was made and used in the production of slate. Parking is not free but when one considers the museum is, then the parking is very good value for money. I will certainly be gong back ensuring that I have plenty of time to tour the museum more thoroughly

1  Thank Glyn H
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We visited this after a recommendation from somebody we met at Snowdon Mountain Railway, and I'm glad we did. There was a lot to see and we watched the Slate trimming and dressing and the guy that was giving the talk was very funny & informative and I would go back just to see him, as he worked in the slate industry he had a lot of information to share. There were also quarryman houses from different decades so that you can see the differences between them. There was also a huge waterwheel, which was amazing to see and the number of machines that this one wheel powered. I would definitely recommend for a visit if you are in the area. I would definitely go back.

1  Thank Kim_Pete7049