“a complete dissaster, worst hotel we have ever stayed in.”

The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Llanberis
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We arrived on Saturday afternoon and were greeted by reception, although they were expecting us, none of the meal tokens were prepared and we had to wait for them to be written up. Not a great issue in itself but this lack of attention to detail was typical and evidently entrenched in the operation and management of the hotel, as you will see below.

We had driven for over 3 hours so were looking forward to our afternoon tea. After standing at the bar for nearly 15 minutes, along with another couple waiting for a member of staff to arrive, I went back to reception to ask them to get someone organised. Finally someone arrived and we got served. Afternoon tea arrived, no sugar and one small jug of milk to share, which is daft considering there was enough tea and coffee for at least 3 cups each. When I asked for some sugar and some more milk the member of staff walked off and didn't return, I had to borrow the sugar bowl from the couple on the next table. afternoon tea comprised a single welsh cake each, one pack of butter and one portion of jam. nothing home made - all mass produced.

Before dinner we wanted to wash and freshen up. However there was black mould surrounding the bath and shower area and orange slime covering the shower tiles. This would be a combination and build up of body fats forming a bio film and black mould which is linked to respiratory illnesses.* Evidence that the housekeeping team haven't been doing a thorough job for some time. Considering that I am asthmatic this is quite worrying.
The paint on the ceiling was all flaking and falling into the bath. Ongoing housekeeping and maintenance operatives have obviously been working with blinkers on.
After an brief and uncomfortable bath I walked back into the bedroom bare footed, what a mistake, as clumps of hair and debris left on the carpet stuck to my feet. There hadn't been a vacuum cleaner anywhere near that carpet in weeks. To prove this I got some sellotape from reception and took a few samples to show the duty manager. There were clumps of matted hair, dust and debris on the tape.
On to dinner, we had to remind the waiter that we were supposed to have a bottle of wine with our meal. We had to ask twice for some water before it arrived.
Starters - served with brown limp old lettuce
Mains - overcooked, dry and tasteless. Christmas dinner served for valentines day...really?? My husband sent his fish back as it was swimming in brine and got a lamb dish to replace it. Unfortunately they took away the cutlery so had to wait for the waiter to reappear before asking for another set. However we needn't have bothered as again the meat was dry and leathery. The whole meal was tasteless and we assume that it was precooked and then microwaved before serving. We sent both mains back and we didn't even want to try a dessert. We left the restaurant at this point, hungry.

Unfortunately the rain had set in for the night and as I fully appreciate that the hotel can't control the weather they can ensure that the hotel is maintained. The guttering outside our bedroom was damaged so that all the rain that fell onto the roof ran into the guttering which emptied onto the slate tiles below our window. This was like Chinese water torture all night long and we hardly got any sleep.

By breakfast time we had had enough of the hotel and decided to call it a day and leave.
We called for the day manager, discussed our issues with him, showed him the bathroom, the contents of the sellotape and gave him a list of our complaints.

He did apologise, said that it would be investigated, that you would be in contact within the next 7 days, and we left. We haven't heard back from the hotel since and are passing on our complain and photos to the local environmental heath department.

Considering that it was Valentines weekend, the staff seemed as sullen as they could hang together, no one was able to summon a smile. This was our first Valentines day since getting married so were really looking forward to a relaxing romantic break away. Sadly this hotel didn't deliver. To summarise -
The room was filthy and hadn't been cleaned properly for weeks if not months, mould in the bathroom which could cause a health hazard. The TV was on the blink and didn't work. The food was dreadful, the maintenance of the hotel was substandard, and your staff were dismal and unco-operative.
Not only have we lost out financially, our first Valentines day as a married couple was ruined and we can't get that time back.
DON'T GO TO THIS HOTEL IF YOU VALUE YOUR HEALTH, GOOD FOOD AND EXPECT A GOOD SERVICE! WE LEFT AFTER LESS THAN 24HRS INTO A 3 DAY STAY.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,650)

Reviewed February 22, 2011

We booked in for a 3 night break with Travelzoo for the 2 nights b&b with tickets for Carnefron castle, afternoon tea, meal on 1st night, 20% off meal for 2nd night and a free bottle of wine. We were very pleased overall with our stay, the staff were very friendly, although a little slow on some occaisons on service. Our room was fabulous, very large with a four poster bed which we weren't expecting, it was very clean and had fantastic views. The menu choice was limted to 4 options but thought it was great value for a 3 course meal. We had the continental breakfast which was fine for us and had lots to choose from, or u could upgrade to full english for £2.50.
The location of the hotel was just fantastic for great scenery and close by to other towns. Lots to see and do within walking distance, the Slate museum was definatley worth a look around as was the lake side train.

All in all a very good break and would recomend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Look we have been to this hotel every february for the last 5 hrs. Why? Because the location is perfect. However, in previous years the service, food and general hotel upkeep has been great. Unfortunately this year our stay was spoilt by rude reception staff on the Friday evening and hidden extras. The hidden extras included an extra £2.50 for cooked breakfast - something that was always included. And then dinner although well served was very small - ok for me who is a small eater but my husband found the portions too small. We also brought our small Jack Russel with us - we were quoted £10 on the telephone which translated to £10 per night when we arrived. The the room sevicing was disappointing- the bath wasn't cleanded and the carpet wasn't vacuumed (considering that we had a dog in the room this was pretty important). We understand the financial climate makes running such a hotel difficult but please state your costs and service levels up front and we won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed January 21, 2011

We paid £55 each with travelzoo for 2 nights bed and breakfast, dinner on the 1st night, afternoon tea the next day and 25% off dinner on the 2nd night. Tickets for Caernarfon Castle were included. We weren't expecting much but were happily surprised.
The reception staff were very friendly and efficient. The hotel was very clean and all staff were friendly. Yes the corridors could do with an update but they were clean and for this price we were very happy. The room had tea and coffee facilities, it was a decent size, the bathroom was small but very clean. It had a tv, a small one but it worked :) I think it's a bargain.
Dinner in the restaurant was delicious, decent sized portions, friendly staff and the house wine was good. We ate in the bar the 2nd night as we hadn't booked a table in the restaurant and it was full. The bar food was good and reasonably priced.
It's in a lovely location and i'd go back again.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This is a copy of the letter I sent to the hotel, the head office and the welsh tourist board.

I have just arrived home from a stay at the Legacy Royal Victoria Hotel in Llanberis. My partner and I stayed for two nights arriving on Friday 19th November and checking out today. The mini break was for us to celebrate our engagement. On arrival at the hotel we were given our room, we went to our room and found that we had been given a twin room when we requested a double room when we made our booking through booking.com. The room that we were allocated number 411. It was something that you would see in the television programme Fawlty Towers, we kept expecting Basil Fawlty to pop out at anytime. There was a thick layer of dust on top of the wardrobe, grout left on the tiles in the bathroom, the ceiling above the shower was cracked and looked as though there was mould growing, the whole room was stained with cigarette smoke and it was in an uncared for state. We went back to reception and asked why we had been given a twin room when we requested a double room. The woman said that it was all they had available. We asked if we could be moved to another room and we got told that they were fully booked for the night and also for the Saturday night as well. We then left the hotel to explore the area.

When we came back to the hotel we went back to the room and the radiator in the room was not heated. Again, we went back down to reception and they said that they would get someone to go and look at the thermostat in the corridor. We went back to the room after having a drink in the bar and the radiator was warm but not as hot as we expected it to be.

The beds in the room were uncomfortable and hard, I woke up with a sore back on the Saturday morning. The pillows inside the pillow cases were stained yellow and were very flat. The shower in the bathroom was very unpredictable, it started being too hot and then going cold, and there was no constant temperature. The window in the room had very bad condensation and if the radiator wasn’t on then the room would have been extremely cold. We both then went down for breakfast.

The breakfast itself was a disgrace. I asked for some mineral water which was stated on the menu. No water was brought to our table. We then both got up and went to help ourselves to the breakfast buffet. My partner was satisfied with the croissants. I got some of the fruit from the large bowls. The fruit itself was tinned fruit which had been opened and put straight in to the bowl. It was not fresh as it stated on the menu. We then went back to our table and a young girl took our order for breakfast. My partner requested bacon, sausage, fried egg, and mushrooms. He got this along with fried bread and baked beans which were not requested. I ordered scrambled egg on toast. When it arrived it didn’t look very appetising. I tried some of the scrambled egg and it was not cooked properly. I sent it back when I managed to get hold of the waitress that was dealing with our table and requested another scrambled egg on toast. While I was waiting for the second one to come, I said to my partner that if this one that comes is not cooked I will have some cereal instead. I asked one of the other waitresses what type of milk it was that was available for the breakfast cereal, she stated that it was semi skimmed. The original waitress brought out the second scrambled egg on toast. Again this was not cooked, I sent it back to the kitchen. She asked if I would like to order anything else, I said no I will have some cereal. I went to get some cereal and used the milk in the urn. When I sat down and started eating the cereal, I had one spoonful and I found the milk was whole milk. I left the rest of the cereal and did not have anything else. We decided to buy some skimmed milk when we went out for day just in case the same thing happened again.
We went back to our room and found that it had been tidied up without us requesting for the room to be serviced. The floor had not been hoovered and the bathroom was not cleaned along with the coffee cup my partner used the night before. We went back down to reception and asked if we could speak to the manager. The general manager was not available so we spoke to the operations manager. The operations manager Jon Wiggins took our complaint as detailed above and said he would ask for the room to be serviced, he also said he would speak to the kitchen staff regarding the breakfast. He asked if we were eating at the hotel this evening, I said that judging on the quality of the breakfast we would probably eat elsewhere he then said we could have a complimentary meal and drinks that evening. This was at about 10am.

We arrived back at the hotel at approximately 4:30pm. We went straight to the room expecting it to have been cleaned to a satisfactory standard. The only thing that had been completed was the hoovering of the floor. The bathroom had not been touched except for the bath mat that was picked up out of the bath. We went back down to reception and asked if we could speak to Jon again. The person we spoke to phoned Jon and asked for him to come down. He came down within two minutes. We stated our concerns regarding the cleanliness of the room and he said that he was embarrassed. I asked him for a bucket of hot soapy water and some rubber gloves so I could clean the room myself. I thought that over six hours was ample time for the room to be cleaned. He said that he would go and service the room himself. He then re-confirmed the offer of the free meal with drinks.

We went in to the bar by the lift as the other two bars had been blocked off for a private function even though they were not in use. We placed our order for the food and drinks at approximately 5:30pm. When the food was ordered we were asked if we would like the mains and desserts to arrive at the same time. I said I would like them to arrive separately. Our main meals were with us within 20 minutes. We had both ordered the 7oz Sirloin Steak. My partner ordered his with hand cut chips and I asked for new potatoes. The chips that came with the steak were not hand cut they were frozen McCain Home Fries, not homemade. The new potatoes that came with the steak looked as though they had been oven baked not boiled in water. We finished our main meal about 15 minutes later. Usually with restaurants or bars you receive the dessert approximately 5 to 10 minutes after you have finished the mains. We waited one and a quarter hours for our plates to be cleared and for our dessert to be served. The celery that came with the cheese and biscuits I had ordered was not prepared very well. The strings were still on there. My partner and I expected the food to be of better quality.

After we had finished our meals we went back to our room and found that Jon had kept to his promise and serviced the room. The bathroom was now cleaned to an acceptable standard.

My partner needed to charge his mobile phone. He plugged the charger in to the plug socket in-between the two beds and the plug socket was cracked and also was not straight on the wall. This risked my partner being electrocuted. During the early hours of the morning there was a lot of people walking up and down and banging doors in the corridor. We both had a restless night’s sleep.

The breakfast this morning was again a major disappointment. My partner and I went down to the dining room and were shown to a table in the conservatory part of the main dining room. We were seated next to the fire exit. The fire exit was partly blocked by this and looked as though the fire exit doors did not work properly as the bars were not together. We were asked by our waitress if we would like some tea or coffee, we asked for coffee. She also asked what we would like to order. We had only just sat down at the table. We said we would like to have some of the buffet first then order. We went up to the buffet table and my partner chose the croissants. I chose to have some mandarins again. It was the same fruit as yesterday apart from the fact that a tin of orange segments had now been put on top of the mandarins. This is extremely unhygienic. I was absolutely disgusted by this. We went back to our table and again the same waitress asked if we would like tea or coffee. We told that waitress that she had already taken our order for coffee. I also asked for some mineral water, expecting it not to appear as per the day before. The water I received was tap water not mineral water as I asked for. She also asked what we would like to order. My partner asked for 2 slices of bacon, sausage, fried egg and tomato. I asked for scrambled egg on toast expecting a lot better than yesterday after Jon Wiggins had spoke to them. The breakfast we had ordered came and my partner got what he asked for and the whole plate was swimming in grease. It was worse than what you would see in a greasy spoon cafe. The scrambled egg I ordered was not cooked again. I went to find Jon who was on duty again and showed him the scrambled egg. I stated to him that if this was served to a pregnant then she would sue them as it would be a risk of salmonella poisoning as the eggs were not cooked. He apologised and asked if how well I would like the scrambled egg cooked and if he could get one for me. I said no I will have some cereal instead. I had the cereal instead along with the skimmed milk we had bought the day before. We kept the milk cold by keeping it on the window sill of the room.

After breakfast, we made our way back to our room and we walked past some rooms with the doors open that the housekeeping staff were servicing. The rooms were of a much higher standard and also not stained with cigarette smoke. We went back up to our room and finished packing the items we had brought with us. When we went down to reception, we asked for the address of the head office as we wished to make a complaint. She then asked if there was anything she could help with as she was the reception manager and the complaint would get passed to her when it was received. She said that she was not able to give an address as all her items had gone missing while she had been on leave and that it was now all done online. I find this to be bad customer service as she was moaning about her job to us. I have sent a copy of this letter to your head office of the hotel also to the welsh tourist board who consider the star ratings for the hotel. I will be looking forward to your prompt reply.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PurpleQueen35
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We booked a two night ‘special deal’ after staying in another Legacy hotel. Later, we were a little concerned when reading negative comments.
However we had no reason to be disappointed and enjoyed our stay.
The hotel itself is nothing special in terms of ambience but was pleasant enough and warm (very important in Llamberis in the winter!) Our room was modest in size but clean and comfortable and had all the facilities you would usually expect (tea making facilities, hair dryer, iron, TV, etc.) The view was spectacular.
We found the staff to be very friendly, courteous and helpful.
Breakfast and dinner were both served in a pleasant conservatory with views over the town. There was plenty of choice for breakfast including a really good cooked breakfast. The coffee and tea were very good, hot and plentiful.
The three course dinner was from a short limited menu, but in saying that it was well prepared and enjoyable. Service was very pleasant and efficient.
Considering the price we paid, dinner bed and breakfast, complimentary bottle of wine on arrival and free tickets to Caernarvon Castle for about the same price as a standard room charge in one of the lodge chains it represented excellent value for money and would happily return for another ‘offer’ break.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff_HLiverpool_UK
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Stopping in this hotel as a base for New year in North Wales and my wifes birthday.
The staff were friendly and helpfull,our room was clean and comfy. Ok some of the stairs creaked,the place is old,course they are going to creak,
The breakfast each day was hot and a good start to the day.The room was basic but clean and warm and did us fine.
There are a couple of shops in the village, a short walk away and ,a couple of pubs 10 minutes walk away as well.There is a Castle just behind the hotel,worth a look. Easy access to Carnarfon and Bangor from Llanberis and you are at the mouth of the Llanberis pass as well..my favourite drive.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanberis
Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Seiont Manor Hotel
Seiont Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanrug

Been to The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia? Share your experiences!