“Don't even bother”

The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Llanberis
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This is a copy of the letter I sent to the hotel, the head office and the welsh tourist board.

I have just arrived home from a stay at the Legacy Royal Victoria Hotel in Llanberis. My partner and I stayed for two nights arriving on Friday 19th November and checking out today. The mini break was for us to celebrate our engagement. On arrival at the hotel we were given our room, we went to our room and found that we had been given a twin room when we requested a double room when we made our booking through booking.com. The room that we were allocated number 411. It was something that you would see in the television programme Fawlty Towers, we kept expecting Basil Fawlty to pop out at anytime. There was a thick layer of dust on top of the wardrobe, grout left on the tiles in the bathroom, the ceiling above the shower was cracked and looked as though there was mould growing, the whole room was stained with cigarette smoke and it was in an uncared for state. We went back to reception and asked why we had been given a twin room when we requested a double room. The woman said that it was all they had available. We asked if we could be moved to another room and we got told that they were fully booked for the night and also for the Saturday night as well. We then left the hotel to explore the area.

When we came back to the hotel we went back to the room and the radiator in the room was not heated. Again, we went back down to reception and they said that they would get someone to go and look at the thermostat in the corridor. We went back to the room after having a drink in the bar and the radiator was warm but not as hot as we expected it to be.

The beds in the room were uncomfortable and hard, I woke up with a sore back on the Saturday morning. The pillows inside the pillow cases were stained yellow and were very flat. The shower in the bathroom was very unpredictable, it started being too hot and then going cold, and there was no constant temperature. The window in the room had very bad condensation and if the radiator wasn’t on then the room would have been extremely cold. We both then went down for breakfast.

The breakfast itself was a disgrace. I asked for some mineral water which was stated on the menu. No water was brought to our table. We then both got up and went to help ourselves to the breakfast buffet. My partner was satisfied with the croissants. I got some of the fruit from the large bowls. The fruit itself was tinned fruit which had been opened and put straight in to the bowl. It was not fresh as it stated on the menu. We then went back to our table and a young girl took our order for breakfast. My partner requested bacon, sausage, fried egg, and mushrooms. He got this along with fried bread and baked beans which were not requested. I ordered scrambled egg on toast. When it arrived it didn’t look very appetising. I tried some of the scrambled egg and it was not cooked properly. I sent it back when I managed to get hold of the waitress that was dealing with our table and requested another scrambled egg on toast. While I was waiting for the second one to come, I said to my partner that if this one that comes is not cooked I will have some cereal instead. I asked one of the other waitresses what type of milk it was that was available for the breakfast cereal, she stated that it was semi skimmed. The original waitress brought out the second scrambled egg on toast. Again this was not cooked, I sent it back to the kitchen. She asked if I would like to order anything else, I said no I will have some cereal. I went to get some cereal and used the milk in the urn. When I sat down and started eating the cereal, I had one spoonful and I found the milk was whole milk. I left the rest of the cereal and did not have anything else. We decided to buy some skimmed milk when we went out for day just in case the same thing happened again.
We went back to our room and found that it had been tidied up without us requesting for the room to be serviced. The floor had not been hoovered and the bathroom was not cleaned along with the coffee cup my partner used the night before. We went back down to reception and asked if we could speak to the manager. The general manager was not available so we spoke to the operations manager. The operations manager Jon Wiggins took our complaint as detailed above and said he would ask for the room to be serviced, he also said he would speak to the kitchen staff regarding the breakfast. He asked if we were eating at the hotel this evening, I said that judging on the quality of the breakfast we would probably eat elsewhere he then said we could have a complimentary meal and drinks that evening. This was at about 10am.

We arrived back at the hotel at approximately 4:30pm. We went straight to the room expecting it to have been cleaned to a satisfactory standard. The only thing that had been completed was the hoovering of the floor. The bathroom had not been touched except for the bath mat that was picked up out of the bath. We went back down to reception and asked if we could speak to Jon again. The person we spoke to phoned Jon and asked for him to come down. He came down within two minutes. We stated our concerns regarding the cleanliness of the room and he said that he was embarrassed. I asked him for a bucket of hot soapy water and some rubber gloves so I could clean the room myself. I thought that over six hours was ample time for the room to be cleaned. He said that he would go and service the room himself. He then re-confirmed the offer of the free meal with drinks.

We went in to the bar by the lift as the other two bars had been blocked off for a private function even though they were not in use. We placed our order for the food and drinks at approximately 5:30pm. When the food was ordered we were asked if we would like the mains and desserts to arrive at the same time. I said I would like them to arrive separately. Our main meals were with us within 20 minutes. We had both ordered the 7oz Sirloin Steak. My partner ordered his with hand cut chips and I asked for new potatoes. The chips that came with the steak were not hand cut they were frozen McCain Home Fries, not homemade. The new potatoes that came with the steak looked as though they had been oven baked not boiled in water. We finished our main meal about 15 minutes later. Usually with restaurants or bars you receive the dessert approximately 5 to 10 minutes after you have finished the mains. We waited one and a quarter hours for our plates to be cleared and for our dessert to be served. The celery that came with the cheese and biscuits I had ordered was not prepared very well. The strings were still on there. My partner and I expected the food to be of better quality.

After we had finished our meals we went back to our room and found that Jon had kept to his promise and serviced the room. The bathroom was now cleaned to an acceptable standard.

My partner needed to charge his mobile phone. He plugged the charger in to the plug socket in-between the two beds and the plug socket was cracked and also was not straight on the wall. This risked my partner being electrocuted. During the early hours of the morning there was a lot of people walking up and down and banging doors in the corridor. We both had a restless night’s sleep.

The breakfast this morning was again a major disappointment. My partner and I went down to the dining room and were shown to a table in the conservatory part of the main dining room. We were seated next to the fire exit. The fire exit was partly blocked by this and looked as though the fire exit doors did not work properly as the bars were not together. We were asked by our waitress if we would like some tea or coffee, we asked for coffee. She also asked what we would like to order. We had only just sat down at the table. We said we would like to have some of the buffet first then order. We went up to the buffet table and my partner chose the croissants. I chose to have some mandarins again. It was the same fruit as yesterday apart from the fact that a tin of orange segments had now been put on top of the mandarins. This is extremely unhygienic. I was absolutely disgusted by this. We went back to our table and again the same waitress asked if we would like tea or coffee. We told that waitress that she had already taken our order for coffee. I also asked for some mineral water, expecting it not to appear as per the day before. The water I received was tap water not mineral water as I asked for. She also asked what we would like to order. My partner asked for 2 slices of bacon, sausage, fried egg and tomato. I asked for scrambled egg on toast expecting a lot better than yesterday after Jon Wiggins had spoke to them. The breakfast we had ordered came and my partner got what he asked for and the whole plate was swimming in grease. It was worse than what you would see in a greasy spoon cafe. The scrambled egg I ordered was not cooked again. I went to find Jon who was on duty again and showed him the scrambled egg. I stated to him that if this was served to a pregnant then she would sue them as it would be a risk of salmonella poisoning as the eggs were not cooked. He apologised and asked if how well I would like the scrambled egg cooked and if he could get one for me. I said no I will have some cereal instead. I had the cereal instead along with the skimmed milk we had bought the day before. We kept the milk cold by keeping it on the window sill of the room.

After breakfast, we made our way back to our room and we walked past some rooms with the doors open that the housekeeping staff were servicing. The rooms were of a much higher standard and also not stained with cigarette smoke. We went back up to our room and finished packing the items we had brought with us. When we went down to reception, we asked for the address of the head office as we wished to make a complaint. She then asked if there was anything she could help with as she was the reception manager and the complaint would get passed to her when it was received. She said that she was not able to give an address as all her items had gone missing while she had been on leave and that it was now all done online. I find this to be bad customer service as she was moaning about her job to us. I have sent a copy of this letter to your head office of the hotel also to the welsh tourist board who consider the star ratings for the hotel. I will be looking forward to your prompt reply.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PurpleQueen35
There are newer reviews for The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia

Reviewed January 5, 2011

We booked a two night ‘special deal’ after staying in another Legacy hotel. Later, we were a little concerned when reading negative comments.
However we had no reason to be disappointed and enjoyed our stay.
The hotel itself is nothing special in terms of ambience but was pleasant enough and warm (very important in Llamberis in the winter!) Our room was modest in size but clean and comfortable and had all the facilities you would usually expect (tea making facilities, hair dryer, iron, TV, etc.) The view was spectacular.
We found the staff to be very friendly, courteous and helpful.
Breakfast and dinner were both served in a pleasant conservatory with views over the town. There was plenty of choice for breakfast including a really good cooked breakfast. The coffee and tea were very good, hot and plentiful.
The three course dinner was from a short limited menu, but in saying that it was well prepared and enjoyable. Service was very pleasant and efficient.
Considering the price we paid, dinner bed and breakfast, complimentary bottle of wine on arrival and free tickets to Caernarvon Castle for about the same price as a standard room charge in one of the lodge chains it represented excellent value for money and would happily return for another ‘offer’ break.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff_HLiverpool_UK
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Stopping in this hotel as a base for New year in North Wales and my wifes birthday.
The staff were friendly and helpfull,our room was clean and comfy. Ok some of the stairs creaked,the place is old,course they are going to creak,
The breakfast each day was hot and a good start to the day.The room was basic but clean and warm and did us fine.
There are a couple of shops in the village, a short walk away and ,a couple of pubs 10 minutes walk away as well.There is a Castle just behind the hotel,worth a look. Easy access to Carnarfon and Bangor from Llanberis and you are at the mouth of the Llanberis pass as well..my favourite drive.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2010

As the purpose of our three day break was walking we made the best of the accommodation at the Royal Victoria. The hotel, though, needs serious re decoration / modernisation. Our room was small and basic - certainly nothing to write home about. We had dinner there on the first night and unfortunately the service was very slow and the food not great.
Someone else who has reviewed this hotel has commented 'only stay here if you pay less than £50 per night' and I wholeheartedly agree. This hotel is not worth any more.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2010

The hotel is in a great location - we had booked an executive double room with a view, only to discover that we had been given a dirty, dated twin room. It had a view alright - of a service tunnel at the back of the hotel. My partner went straight back to reception to ask for a room change, only to be told that the hotel was busy that weekend and there were no other rooms available. We were tired and had travelled a long way, so decided to stay and make the best of it. The room was not clean - spider webs hanging in the corners and a couple of very large spiders wandering around. Bathroom door had huge gouges in the panelling, and fittings were dirty. The television was a tiny portable. We couldn't wait to get away next day.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mrsstapleton
Reviewed December 12, 2010

Booked this hotel on a deal through Travelzoo. My husband and I were prepared for the worst (having read the reviews in July) but couldn't have been more pleased with our stay at this hotel. Our room was basic but clean with every facility we needed. The staff were incredibly helpful and welcoming. The food was amazingly good value. This isn't a modern/contemporary/boutique/5 star hotel but it does what it does extremely well.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank j9p9
Reviewed December 6, 2010

We stayed here on a travelzoo deal and what excellent value for money. My wife is disabled and we asked for a spacious room and spacious it was. When we arrived we were welcomed at reception by Gill who was very helpful. The meals were great and good service in the restaurant. On Saturday morning Gill was the duty manager and she came round asking everyone if they were enjoying there stay and if things were alright. To us this made us feel that she cared about everyone and everything. The rooms were clean and all the staff were great from the cleaners to the managers. The area is beautiful with spectacular views. We have booked to return again in march 2011 and would recommend you go and see for yourself. If you ring ask for gill on reception she is a great girl and very helpful. Excellent all round.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanberis
Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Waterloo Hotel
Waterloo Hotel
#2 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia? Share your experiences!