“Excellent value and location”

The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Llanberis
Cardiff
“Excellent value and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

Having read some of the other reviews I was nervous about what to expect. Yes, some of the decor is a bit shabby but considering the age I was expecting a lot worse. The room we had was a reburbished one with a Kings size bed (very comfortable), a plasma TV and a spotless modern bathroom - I've stayed in worse looking 4*'s! The travel zoo deal we had was £59 DBB, plus afternoon tea and free entrance to Caernafon castle.

The first night we went to a recommended local pub for food (Glyntwrog Inn) - great home cooked food, excellent service and a great atmosphere. The second night we braved the food and found it was surprisingly ok - the starter and dessert were lovely but the main did let it down where the veg had obviously been reheated in a microwave. The breakfast is good as it is all cooked to order.

The service was excellent and everyone was friendly and polite. Brilliant location as all the attractions are a short walk away. Really great value but wouldn't pay the full price.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Polish first
Wales, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

At check in on 28 March 2pm we were asked to pay up front. The young male receptionist was very unfriendly.
Checked into an execetive room 210. This had the cleaner in when we arrived even though we were told it was reay by the male recptionist.
The room itself was fine.However the large bed had a zip down the middle of the mattress and this was most uncomforftable. The radiator did not work and water pressure in Shower very weak.

Afternoon tea at 4pm -The scones were lightly spread with jam and the cream tasted of onions.Very poor.

Dinner-Very limited choice.
Basically in edible and the worst meal i have ever been presented with.
Pudding much the same.

Following a complaint to the duty manager the following night the dinner on Monday was a huge improvement.

Breakfast on both mornings was a shambles. Sour milk no white bread for toast,cold breakfast. Dirty dishes not removed. Unfriendly staff.

I must praise Dylan in the bar both for his friendly personality and attention to detail.He looked after us very well.
The rest of the staff need training this includes reception staff. On one occassion a female came to the desk eating .Not a good look.

There is no excuse for the poor food on the Sunday eve , breakfast chaos or the lack of efficient and friendly staff.

Location is very good.

Dinner the first evening (Sunday)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Llanberis hotels

Plakias, Greece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

Seedy and disappointing, despite the beautiful frontage and the enormous gardens.
We arrived around eight in the evening, having driven from London. We asked if there was food available and were told there was food in the bar. The only seat we could find was a bench which needed reupholstering, and the springs needed repairing. But that didn't matter, we didn't eat as the kitchen was closed.
The room was adequate, but not too clean.
Breakfast was very hit and miss.The cooked breakfast wasn't worth the wait, coffee was poor, and it depended on who'd got there first as to whether you got fruit and yoghurt or not. We tried the evening meal one night. BAD idea.
We were woken nice and early by the tourbuses outside our window, they keep their engines running for about half an hour. The receptionist insisted they'd been told not to - but couldn't ask them to switch their engines off, she was busy.
The staff weren't friendly, and the whole place was geared to the tours. I'd not go there as an independant traveller. The cherry on the top is that the carpark is covered in trees, and my car got covered in bird-poo.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

Came back yesterday after a couple of nights at this hotel. We were given room 101 and our daughter had single room 103 both on first floor. The beds were very clean but the rooms seriously needed updating. The single room was extremely small. There was a function room directly below ours and as we were tired the first evening decided to have an early night. Music started approx 9:00 very loud. At 10:00 we asked at reception when it was likely to finish and we were told 11:30. I said we could not stand the noise and after some searching we were found another double room after saying that we were staying another night, and they said there would be a wedding on that night too!! I have to say it was a lovely large room and everything was new so we were were very pleased. You would not have thought it was the same hotel. I then asked if my daughter could be moved and again they found another for her also of the same standard. The rooms were both faultless. I did wonder though how these rooms were vacant and we had been given the rooms above the function room!!!!! The evening meals were (in my opinion), below average. I had chicken the second evening and it was awful..... There was a lack of staff too the first evening. Breakfast was average, but at least it was edible, but there did seem to be a lack of management. My husband came home after our second night and was violently sick, our daughter had a bad stomach so we are not sure when the problem arose from as they had eaten lunch in Portmerion before we left for home.

I would stay here again but only if we could stay in the rooms that we moved to and I would eat evening meals elsewhere. I have given top rating for the rooms, but simply because we had such good ones after our complaint.

leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

I booked this Hotel simply because it's name led me to believe it would be a superior standard hotel with high quality food and facilities. Boy was I mistaken!

This hotel could do with a complete overhaul.

The reception area is very small and non descript, the staff however are friendly & professional. My first impression was that the decor seemed very dated and after listening to the complex directions to my room on the third floor my 5 minute walk confirmed this impression entirely. The walls, floors and paintwork appear to be decorated in a victorian fashion however the various extensions and age of the original building have lead to the floors settling at many varying levels which all drum as soon as anyone walks on them. A noise which is quite loud inside the rooms too.
To get to my room meant getting in a lift on the ground floor and going up to the 2nd floor then tavelling the length of two corridors and taking another lift to the 3rd floor.
I have to say that I thought my room was very comfortable and well equipped although the bathroom could have been bigger.

Breakfast was very good with cereals, fresh fruit and a cooked breakfast readily available. My partner & I are both vegetarian but we both had a cooked veggie breakfast for the 3 mornings we were here.
We only ate the main meal once at the hotel and were not impressed, the choice for vegetarians wasn't great but we both felt the food was too expensive and poorly cooked to try again.

On our second night we went to the Spice of Llanberis and again we were disappointed the restaurant was very well furnished but the food is to be avoided. We were rushed though our meal and our table cleared as we ate which is very annoying. we asked for poppudums and were told these were on the way already which implied that they were included but then we were charged on the bill for them.

On our third night we ate at Petes eats caffi it was the nicest meal we had during our stay. The Hotel is ideally situated for lots of sightseeing but I would only recommend the legacy to the older generation of travellers.

Herefordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights this week on a Travelzoo deal. The shower in our first rather cramped room only pumped out freezing cold water. We were moved to another - lovely - room, however room service told us that the shower hadn't been working for months! So why is it still being used?
The food was no more than adequate and the selection very limited, particularly if you dined after 7pm when several of the dishes were no longer available (Why?). Service at breakfast was simply appalling. I have stayed in 100s of hotels in my working life and I have never experienced anything as bad. No one seemed to be in charge. It was a lottery as to whether you were noticed. Some people - including us - sat there for 10 minutes trying to raise someone. Tables were being cleared as people waited to give an order and tables were not being relaid for late comers, so there was nowhere for them to sit. Breakfast service is not rocket science. What is going on here?
Overall, for what we paid it was ok. We even had simple evening entertainment, which we were not expecting. But for the management issues it would have had 4 stars - as it was, just 2 stars. And we did not get food poisoning!

1 Thank pantodame1
blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

The staff in all departments made our stay memorable and the hotel was friendly and clean, the food was fantastic as was the service in the dining room

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanberis
Waterloo Hotel
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
Ty Gwyn Hotel
Ty Gwyn Hotel
#1 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia? Share your experiences!