“Great location.”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Llanberis
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great location.”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Paid £52 a night B&B for a double room on a recent trip and this is about the right with price.

It's an older hotel which has had an annex added so there are plenty of rooms and when we stayed, lots of guests. The hotel is a hive of activity with lots of walkers, cyclists etc. and is a very good base for covering some of the Snowdonia National Park. It is located across the road from the railway which goes up Mt Snowdon and is an excellent location for wandering around the town or for starting a day's outing. A definite bonus is the hotel's large car park.

It is an older hotel and is a little rough around the edges, but nothing a lick of paint couldn't sort out and it is my understanding that it has recently undergone a change of management. Since they were working on some parts of the hotel during our visit, I am assuming that they are getting to grips with some of these problems, which is good news.

We had a great room - good size with a large en suite which was spotlessly clean, so no problems there.

Food was good, but better value for money with the bar meals (a selection of two meals for £12) than in the main restaurant. There was lots of choice at the continental breakfast (cooked breakfasts are available, but would have been extra on our deal).

All in all a very good visit and somewhere I would stay again and be more than happy to recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here for two nights for a trip up Snowdon as it was perfectly located for the Llanberis path. Overall a good stay, the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Our room was a bit disappointing - miles from the reception through several corridors (one which smelt of mould) and doors and wasn't very clean - I had to ask for the floor to be vacuumed. Tap in bath came off in my hand. That said the beds were clean and very comfortable and we weren't in the room very much anyway. It is what I would have expected at the price. Breakfast was plentiful. Getting food at the bar on the Saturday night took a very long time but the food and drink was good value. Overall I would stay again but would ask for another room.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Nelson, Lancashire
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We went on a special 2 nights DBB deal for £65 each. Although our room was a long way from Reception, Dinning Room and Bar we could not really complain. All the staff were very helpful and the food was very good, the breakfasts especially. Llanberis itself has nothing very much to offer but we used it as a base to have a full day exploring Anglesey which we found delightful. (We can understand why Prince William and the Duchess enjoy living there. Red Wharf Bay is as bonny as Cornwall beaches)

Room Tip: For access to a lot of the rooms the use of TWO lifts and long walks are needed so ask for a room th...
Chard, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Royal Hotel Llanberis

Having just spent 5 days at the Royal Victoria Hotel, We would like to say how friendly and helpful all the staff were. The rooms were clean and comfortable, with tea/coffee making facilities. The restaurant again was roomy and the food excellent, well cooked and presented.

Evening entertainment was again excellent, we had a talk the first evening on the locality which was very informative and with slides very interesting. After that we were entertained by a pianist, a singer and last of all a male voice choir all very good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed April 12, 2013

A three day stay. Excellent friendly staff. A great location for the attractions. Brilliant food and very cosy atmosphere. Brilliant for mount Snowdon. Not far from Caernarfon which you can visit the Caernarfon castle.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank lyntaz
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on a short break. We booked their "all inclusive" package which looked a very good deal, On arrival we were not given a welcome pack or anything to explain what was included in the "all inclusive" package. ( There is great deal that is not included). This caused some difficulties before it was finally sorted out ( lunchtime on the 2nd day). Our room was fine, clean & tidy as expected of a modern hotel room. The view from our window was wonderful, as good as any we have ever had. It was only later that we discovered that any noise in the corridor came into the room, it was as if the door did not exist! We were disturbed by the occupants of the room opposite returning at 3.00am and talking loudly, they might as well have been stood in our room, it certainly sounded like it. Don't have room on the 3rd floor if you are a light sleeper and like quiet.
Our 1st experience of problems because we were "all inclusive" happened in the bar when we ordered afternoon tea which we knew was included. The barman took our order, brought the tea and scolded me for not telling him when we ordered that we were "all inclusive" as he had rung it up on the till before serving it and had now got to change it. I overcame my urge to tell him to put his tea, till and hotel where the sun doesn't shine for the sake of my wife. I am not used to being told off by barmen and it did not go well with me. Still, I thought, it can only get better.
That evening we went into the dining room for our evening meal. We sat at a lovely table in the conservatory overlooking Llanberis with a lovely view of the gardens and mountains. The waiter took our order for food but when we went to order our glasses of wine we hit "all inclusive" problems again. I had ordered a medium size glass of merlot and my wife the same size of a German white (her favourite). Nothing was said when we placed the order although this time I made it clear at the start that we were "all inclusive". The waiter came back and said that we could not have medium glasses of any wine, only small glasses of house wine. Not what we really wanted but did not want to cause a fuss. The food when it arrived looked very nice but we were both surprised not to see any potatoes of any sort on our plates. The menus had been taken away after we had ordered and nobody came near us enquire if were happy until after we had finished. As we were enquiring about this to the waiter, who seemed to know nothing about anything, the table next us (also "all inclusive") got their meals which did have the potatoes that had been missed off ours. I asked to see a manager who apologised. He also agreed that was was needed was a "welcome pack" for those who were "all inclusive". The food was OK but not really warm. The only really hot meal we had of the 6 were the two breakfasts. Soup at lunchtime was only luke warm on both days and the evening meals likewise.
Breakfast on our 1st morning was very good, bright alert, helpful staff and hot food. This really was the best meal of the day and there were no "all inclusive" problems. We went out for the morning and returned for our "all inclusive" lunch. We were told that we could have the dish of the day, Lobscouse, or soup & a sandwich. We went for the latter and I ordered welsh rarebit as it was in the sandwiches section on the menu. There was then a long discussion if welsh rarebit was included or not. Other guests were looking at us and we felt that were being accused of trying to get something for nothing. A manager was asked who did not know the answer. He went to reception to seek information and I followed him. There he produced a letter from the general manager of the hotel to all staff setting out what was included in the package and instructing reception to issue a "welcome letter" setting out what was included when gusts checked in. The receptionist (not the one who checked us in) produced said welcome letter and gave me a copy. It did clarify things and would have been very helpful if we had had it 24 hours earlier. I got my welsh rarebit this time, the soup was only just warm again.
After lunch we went out again and returned for afternoon tea. I ordered it at the bar from the same barman who had scolded me the day before. I made sure that I showed him my "all inclusive" card when ordering. I signed his ticket with our room number as asked. 15 minutes later with no sign of our tea I went back to the bar and enquired where it was to be told that he had forgotten it.
This hotel is close to being good and very good value but it fell short in some key areas. We were made to feel like 2nd class guests because we were "all inclusive" and some staff just didn't understand it. The absence of the welcome letter left us without important information as well. Whilst some staff were very good, the breakfast staff especially, others were very poor. Being "scolded" by a barman younger than my son is not something that I will look to repeat. Incomplete meals, meals that were only warm not hot and bedrooms with tissue paper walls and doors will also not be on my agenda again.
It is a pity because it could have been so different with so little effort. The setting of the hotel is wonderful. The meal menus were good and the food was tasty if cool. Breakfast was great.
I would council against the "all inclusive" package, it isn't all inclusive and will leave you feeling very 2nd class. You may be luckier than we we were in avoiding the poorer staff in which case your experience will be better.
We were left feeling disappointed about what might have been. It was certainly not the relaxing break we hoped for.

Room Tip: Beware the "all inclusive" package, it isn't. Keep away from the 3rd floor rooms if yo...
1 Thank BeemerBikerAbroad
Maldon Essex
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had a short stay at the hotel and found the whole experience excellent. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and this made our stay very enjoyable. The setting was outstanding with a view of Snowdon on one side and lake on the other. The room had everything you could need and the only thing we could fault was a noisy extract fan in the en-suite. The breakfast was filling and it is well worth having the cooked option. The evening meal in the restaurant was good value and varied. You could also have a 'value' meal in the bar which was ok but not quite as good as the restaurant. The hotel is very near the station for the Snowdon railway, walking distance, and well worth a visit. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanberis
Royal Oak Hotel
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
Y Gwnnedd Inn & Bunkhouse
Y Gwnnedd Inn & Bunkhouse
#8 of 8 in Llanberis

Been to The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia? Share your experiences!