“Close to being great, but......”

The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Llanberis
Evesham, United Kingdom
“Close to being great, but......”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on a short break. We booked their "all inclusive" package which looked a very good deal, On arrival we were not given a welcome pack or anything to explain what was included in the "all inclusive" package. ( There is great deal that is not included). This caused some difficulties before it was finally sorted out ( lunchtime on the 2nd day). Our room was fine, clean & tidy as expected of a modern hotel room. The view from our window was wonderful, as good as any we have ever had. It was only later that we discovered that any noise in the corridor came into the room, it was as if the door did not exist! We were disturbed by the occupants of the room opposite returning at 3.00am and talking loudly, they might as well have been stood in our room, it certainly sounded like it. Don't have room on the 3rd floor if you are a light sleeper and like quiet.
Our 1st experience of problems because we were "all inclusive" happened in the bar when we ordered afternoon tea which we knew was included. The barman took our order, brought the tea and scolded me for not telling him when we ordered that we were "all inclusive" as he had rung it up on the till before serving it and had now got to change it. I overcame my urge to tell him to put his tea, till and hotel where the sun doesn't shine for the sake of my wife. I am not used to being told off by barmen and it did not go well with me. Still, I thought, it can only get better.
That evening we went into the dining room for our evening meal. We sat at a lovely table in the conservatory overlooking Llanberis with a lovely view of the gardens and mountains. The waiter took our order for food but when we went to order our glasses of wine we hit "all inclusive" problems again. I had ordered a medium size glass of merlot and my wife the same size of a German white (her favourite). Nothing was said when we placed the order although this time I made it clear at the start that we were "all inclusive". The waiter came back and said that we could not have medium glasses of any wine, only small glasses of house wine. Not what we really wanted but did not want to cause a fuss. The food when it arrived looked very nice but we were both surprised not to see any potatoes of any sort on our plates. The menus had been taken away after we had ordered and nobody came near us enquire if were happy until after we had finished. As we were enquiring about this to the waiter, who seemed to know nothing about anything, the table next us (also "all inclusive") got their meals which did have the potatoes that had been missed off ours. I asked to see a manager who apologised. He also agreed that was was needed was a "welcome pack" for those who were "all inclusive". The food was OK but not really warm. The only really hot meal we had of the 6 were the two breakfasts. Soup at lunchtime was only luke warm on both days and the evening meals likewise.
Breakfast on our 1st morning was very good, bright alert, helpful staff and hot food. This really was the best meal of the day and there were no "all inclusive" problems. We went out for the morning and returned for our "all inclusive" lunch. We were told that we could have the dish of the day, Lobscouse, or soup & a sandwich. We went for the latter and I ordered welsh rarebit as it was in the sandwiches section on the menu. There was then a long discussion if welsh rarebit was included or not. Other guests were looking at us and we felt that were being accused of trying to get something for nothing. A manager was asked who did not know the answer. He went to reception to seek information and I followed him. There he produced a letter from the general manager of the hotel to all staff setting out what was included in the package and instructing reception to issue a "welcome letter" setting out what was included when gusts checked in. The receptionist (not the one who checked us in) produced said welcome letter and gave me a copy. It did clarify things and would have been very helpful if we had had it 24 hours earlier. I got my welsh rarebit this time, the soup was only just warm again.
After lunch we went out again and returned for afternoon tea. I ordered it at the bar from the same barman who had scolded me the day before. I made sure that I showed him my "all inclusive" card when ordering. I signed his ticket with our room number as asked. 15 minutes later with no sign of our tea I went back to the bar and enquired where it was to be told that he had forgotten it.
This hotel is close to being good and very good value but it fell short in some key areas. We were made to feel like 2nd class guests because we were "all inclusive" and some staff just didn't understand it. The absence of the welcome letter left us without important information as well. Whilst some staff were very good, the breakfast staff especially, others were very poor. Being "scolded" by a barman younger than my son is not something that I will look to repeat. Incomplete meals, meals that were only warm not hot and bedrooms with tissue paper walls and doors will also not be on my agenda again.
It is a pity because it could have been so different with so little effort. The setting of the hotel is wonderful. The meal menus were good and the food was tasty if cool. Breakfast was great.
I would council against the "all inclusive" package, it isn't all inclusive and will leave you feeling very 2nd class. You may be luckier than we we were in avoiding the poorer staff in which case your experience will be better.
We were left feeling disappointed about what might have been. It was certainly not the relaxing break we hoped for.

Room Tip: Beware the "all inclusive" package, it isn't. Keep away from the 3rd floor rooms if yo...
1 Thank BeemerBikerAbroad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Polish first
Maldon Essex
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had a short stay at the hotel and found the whole experience excellent. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and this made our stay very enjoyable. The setting was outstanding with a view of Snowdon on one side and lake on the other. The room had everything you could need and the only thing we could fault was a noisy extract fan in the en-suite. The breakfast was filling and it is well worth having the cooked option. The evening meal in the restaurant was good value and varied. You could also have a 'value' meal in the bar which was ok but not quite as good as the restaurant. The hotel is very near the station for the Snowdon railway, walking distance, and well worth a visit. Overall a great stay.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

im not one to complain but i feel this is needed to warn other people,Dont be fooled by the good reviews like me and my partner was.We rang up 2 days before we went to book a certain room the lady said it was fine and that the room we wanted was empty,So after travelling from blackpool we got there to be told the room was taken,so we ended up in a room that had courtyard view (which made the room very dark and we was outlooking onto a dirty garden and some steps) ,We ignored this because we would be out most days but then we went into the bathroom no toilet rolls dirty bath hair all over-we had to go and ask for toilet roll, the bed in the room was uncomfy we may aswell of slept on the floor and you could also hear EVERYTHING,Next morning we went to breakfeast cued for ages even though we did actually book a table then we got in there we wasnt even told by any member of staff what to do or how we could get our breakfeast! we finally got a pot of tea but then had to go and ASK for milk because the lady forgot to bring us some out.That was the final straw we was meant to be staying in this hotel for 3 nights and left after the first night i was very dissapointed and we also got told we would receive and email and a refund a week later after the manager apologising,2 weeks on and we still havent heard anything! Dont be fooled by these reviews its not all whats it made out to be!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jodiehaughton
RoyalVictoria1840, Front Office Manager at The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly to discuss the matter further.
Many Thanks
Ann Owen
Deputy General Manager
deputy@theroyalvictoria.co.uk

Travelers are raving about these Llanberis hotels

Preston
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A two night stay in an ideal location at the foot of Snowdon,
A special deal Dinner B&B + a bottle of wine,

The room was clean, The Staff were very good and friendly,
The food was excellent,

The fixtures and fittings are a little tired and some refurbishment is required but pleasent stay.
would go back some time in the future.

Room Tip: 218 had no view and noisey from some mechanical source. poor water flow on shower
shropshire
Reviewed April 8, 2013

yet again we have had a great stay at this hotel. The family room had plenty of space for the four of us with a double single and pull out double sofa bed.The view was amazing looking out over the lake. Breakfast was a cooked full welsh and help your self buffet, there was pleny to choose from (shame about the mick taking people making butties up for dinner !!!) The hotel staff were friendly and happy to help.
We had a bar meal in the evening 2 for £8 not massive but good quality. The kids had burgers and they were better than the adult meals.
LLanberis is great for families we went on the lake railway, then for a walk round the slate museum and up to the hospital. My 8 year old found all this fasinating. We finished the day with a trip down electric mountain

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I would certainly recommend this hotel.The room was warm and the bed extremely comfortable,the bathroom was well appointed with an excellent electric towel warmer that not only warmed the towels but warmed the bathroom to a very pleasant heat as well.All the staff were most welcoming and helpful and this assisted in making our stay most enjoyable. Both the dinner and breakfast menus were excellent value for money and it was to the credit of both the serving and kitchen staff that they were prepared to allows us to deviate from the set menus when we wished to have a "mix and match" meal. If we have the opportunity we will definitely return to this hotel

Colchester
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was a last minute booking as our daughter had an assignment in the area and needed to find accommodation in a hurry. We travelled with her to look after our grandchildren whilst she and her husband were working - weren't we the lucky ones! All the staff were so helpful and friendly and went to great trouble to ensure that we had everything we needed. We only ate from the bar menu but it was very good value, as were the rooms, which were warm and comfortable. We would like to come again - and special thanks to reception staff Gwyneth (hope I've spelled that correctly!) and Andrew for their help.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanberis
Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel
#6 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Y Gwnnedd Inn & Bunkhouse
Y Gwnnedd Inn & Bunkhouse
#8 of 8 in Llanberis

Been to The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia? Share your experiences!