“Not so much somewhere to eat but a real community”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pete's Eats

Pete's Eats
Ranked #2 of 5 Coffee & Tea in Llanberis
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Welsh
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Burton upon Trent
“Not so much somewhere to eat but a real community”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I went here with my wife and two children and my brother and his wife. Both of them are keen mountain goers and this is the place to meet up before and after you tackle Snowdon apparently. The place is big inside, fairly basic but real friendly. Every inch of the place is either photos, a wall fall full of community postings or books for charity. Then there is the menu, a whole wall of chalkboard.

My brother is vegetarian and his wife isn't, but both well catered for. A lot of climbing type places can get a bit hippy and you end up with some foul lentil and tofu crap put in front of you. No worries here as the choice is really there. Think a combination of homemade, greasy spoon and bistro type simple dishes. They are licensed so you can have a bottle of some decent local beers or ciders to go with your food or stick to tea, coffee and soft drinks.

The children were well looked after with kid-size pizzas and chicken nuggets, but no surprises there. The real treat was the quality of something simple like fried egg on toast or even really well cooked homemade chips. After a day of walking around in what has got to be one of the coldest places around, it is near the mountains and all that, my hands looked like they belonged to a cyanotic smurf. A good mug of tea and a decent breakfast was all that was needed.

Next time I pop over to Wales to see the family, it's a definite re-visit.

Thanks guys :)

• Visited October 2012

Southampton, UK
“Does exactly what it's supposed to!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Does exactly what it's supposed to! Load up on your carbs and cheaply too. Don't expect Cord en Blue but a big plate of what you want. Cheap and cheerful but either sets you up for the day or finishes it off nicely when you're weary.

Eire
“Awesome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great food and rapid service! Staff always cheerful and one or two budding comedians. Try the large Hot Chocolate with all the add ons! Great after a day on the hills!

Visited November 2012
“Don't waste your time.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I really aren't one to complain but this restaurant is very poor. I had heard great things about petes eats (including here on trip advisor) prior to our visit; and I was completely dissapointed. First off, the waiter who was serving on behind the counter was terrible, he looked so drab and mucky, though it wasn't this that really annoyed me, he literally was moving at I'd say just a little faster than 'snails pace' I really didn't know if he was doing it on purpose but this annoyed me to begin with, after waiting in a very long que we finally got to the front only to be pushed in front of by someone who 'works here' and got her order in first. We finally sat down and my partners hot chocolate was half liquid half hardened chocolate powder, absolutely horrible. We then got our meal and I ordered a burger (stupidly as I aren't a massive fan of burgers) but when it did come it was okay, the chips weren't chips, well not where I come from anyway, but they were actually ok taste wise. My girlfriend got a jacket potato and again she got a half cooked half frozen potato, disgusting! Also, the system the food gets sent out to tables in is just ridiculous, the waiters literally just shout order numbers around the restaurant in silly voices, and this is all you can hear throughout your meal, oh, that along with a waiter who was literally throwing mugs into the dishwasher making an awful racket.
Like I say, I really don't complain much, but this restaurant is a complete waste of time and money. Its got a cheap feel to it, its sort of like a very bad fast food restaurant. Save your money!

2 Thank Francesca S
Oxford
“Best 'greasy spooner' I've had in ages”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

After walking up Snowdon with my lad, decided it was getting dark too quickly to cook back at the tent; so wandered through the village and ended up in here - mainly because I fancied an 'all day breakfast'.

It was a wet dreary evening and the cafe was about two thirds full, yet despite the grim weather it was clean, warm and had a nice atmosphere. The lad who served was friendly and was trading banter with everyone in the queue, locals and 'foreigners'. Tea was in big mugs and poured from an 'eternL teapot', no individual tea bags, but endlessly topped up and a new bag added when needed - just as I remember from cafes when I was younger.

The menu was large but fairly simple, with some specials such as lasagne and a few veggie options. Orders were taken and a raffle ticket given to identifqho had ordered. I had the small breakfast and it wasn't that small! Bacon was delicious, thick and not too crispy, two hash browns, fried egg, sausage and fried bread. The boy had a cheeseburger and chips, which had fresh salad and proper slices of cheese, not a plastic square. Both very yummy and very welcome after our climb up the mountain.

All in all, a really friendly cafe with nice atmosphere, serving good basic food well.