“Outstanding in every respect. We'll be back again soon.”

Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Betws-y-Coed
stoke on trent
“Outstanding in every respect. We'll be back again soon.”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is the seventh visit in just over two years and it's the sort of hotel that, once discovered, you just want to keep coming back. The location is fantastic, accommodation excellent, food can't be faulted and the staff and service should be awarded six stars out of five. Nothing is too much trouble and everyone went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable as possible even given the exceptional weather conditions - heavy snow and ice at the end of March. Paths and car park were cleared and gritted by breakfast time, there was a roaring log fire in the lounge every evening when we got in after a few hours following snow ploughs round Snowdonia. Our usual ground floor room was lovely and warm and spotlessly clean as always. Breakfast is always freshly cooked and dinner offers a wide choice of dishes. All beautifully prepared and served with ample portions. We are already looking in our diary to find a couple more weeks that we can come and stay this years - hopefully when the snow has gone, but it was very scenic with the valley under a blanket of the white stuff.. Well done everyone.

Room Tip: River view room is worth the extra and the ground floor room is great if you have mobility problems.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bb62StokeOnTrent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
england
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I fell in love with this hotel. The location,the food,the helpful staff the room,everything about it was just perfect. We stayed here for four nights and nothing was to much trouble for anyone. We ate at the hotel everynight and had a different meal everynight. Every dish was beautiful and very tasty indeed. The restaurant has such a pretty view of the river and never got tired of looking at it. We have booked to come back for a week in June and we can't wait. One of the best hotels we have stayed in...ever.thankyou to everyone who looked after us.x

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank smellyEngland
London
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I booked my ticket through Booking.com for the hotel on 3rd March. We had a trip planned with friends for the Easter break. Unfortunately within hours of booking, we had to cancel the trip due to personal reasons. As father of one of the friend fell seriously ill.
I promptly notified both Booking.com and the hotel requesting them to cancel my booking first thing on 4th March. All this was done even before the money was processed through my account. Initially both the hotel and Booking.com made me go in loops and kept on saying that the final decision to cancel my booking and refund my charges lies with the other party. Finally after 5 calls, the hotel reservation team accepted that it is their decision on whether they will charge me or not.
However, the reservation team at the hotel is not willing to consider my circumstance and keeps on emphasising that they have a policy. Even when I promptly notified them about my situation they are still not willing to cancel my charges. They keep on highlighting that I agreed to make the booking and no matter how bad the circumstances are on my side they will not cancel my charges.
They are saying because of me they have lost business even when I sent my cancellation within 8 hours of booking. I was surprised to experience such an un-accommodating attitude from somebody working in the hospitality industry. When I requested the lady in reservations to put me in touch with the General Manager, she says that I do not need to go to anybody other than her and the rest are not even in the UK. I have to deal all this in addition to situation within the family. A completely unhelpful staff with no consideration for the customer's situation and realising that I am on hook they do not even want to be bothered with my circumstance. The total charge is GBP 2490 and this is a lot of money for anybody.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank sarva
snowdoniahotel, Manager at Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
This is not actually our customer, they booked with Booking.com under their terms and conditions and as such our hands are tied. For customers who book directly with the hotel our policy is as follows:

We respectfully remind guests that a reservation constitutes a contract between themselves and Craig-y-Dderwen hotel. In the event of cancellation, alteration or reduction of numbers by the client, the hotel will undertake to mitigate its losses and to re-let the room at similar rates. The guest will be responsible for the loss incurred by the hotel in the event that rooms remain unoccupied or are at the lower rate the date the room was booked. The cancellation charges imposed by the hotel will therefore reflect the actual loss. Any postponement of confirmed bookings will be treated as cancellation. We reserve the right to amend our tariff without notice.

We recommend travel insurance should always be purchased and this can be done for as little as £5.00 online at.

Accounts can be settled by cash, credit or debit card.
Jamaica
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have recently come back down to earth after our stay at the beautiful Craig-y-Dderwent Hotel in Betws-y-Coed. I have wanted to take my wife and our 2 dogs somewhere special and how lucky we were to find this hotel and all it has to offer. All the staff are so welcoming, professional and so helpful from the minute we arrived to the time we left. Our room was fantastic offering unbelievable views of the Welsh countryside, combined with all the amenities of a 4 star hotel made this whole experience so memorable.

The food is exceptional and I would honestly say why bother looking elsewhere when you have it under your roof, spectacular menu's made from local fresh produce left us with the best of both worlds.

The hotel is situated in a very quiet palatial part of Betws which was easily commutable to Snowdonia and surrounding areas, local walks within the grounds was so useful for us as we had to consider our dogs too.

The crescendo of our time at the hotel was the Hot Tub on our personal balcony, champagne sipped in a hot tun when it is minus 1 is an experience not to be missed!

I have booked the room and and dining for our anniversary this July and cannot wait to visit the hotel and experience again what is without doubt Snowdonia's best kept secret, thank you to all at the Dderwent!!

Room Tip: book the Hot Tub Four Poster Room 2!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cisl
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in room 7, super king with river view balcony, outstanding. Simply and tastefully furnished, warm & clean. Dinner & breakfast outstanding, great menu to much to choose from. An outstanding place to stay, highly recommended, we will be returning.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Chahan
Essex
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had a 2 night stay and after changing rooms from a double to super king we have no faults with this hotel whatsoever. Whilst there we noticed they were re-decorating which will only add to the appeal. I hope they renew the carpet as I would say this is the only dated element of the hotel.

Breakfast was lovely overlooking the river from the high vantage point of the conservatory and the centre of town is literally a 10 minute walk

Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Super King bedrooms have the better view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrewdayo
Rhuddlan, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

All started well, gorgeous room, brilliant view and nice location. Then we attempted to eat. I had chillied beef to start, this failed to arrive with a microscope to locate the beef. My wife chose leek and potato soup which seemed to contain no leeks or potatoes. It tasted ok but looked liked blended veg soup garnished with weeds. I am also assuming that the restaurant had just purchased a consignment of spinach as their wasn't much on the menu that did not contain it or was wrapped in it. The mains arrived, to be fair my lamb was not too bad albeit a bit dry. My wife's steak arrived and had the texture of concrete served with a thimble of sauce. The waitress spotted us trying to cut through it and brought out a sharper knife to try. surely in an alleged four star restaurant another steak would have been a more viable option. If she had appeared with a diamond cutting laser beam I guess we would have still struggled. The vegetables, or as I will call it one small piece of cauliflower each and a few steamed leeks (no spinach though, honest) was hardly ground breaking. Desert was, or should I say supposed to be profiteroles. These did not appear to have been made in the normal fashion using choux pastry, these used a new method which I will call 'the hollowed out stale bread recipe.'
Could things get any worse? Oh YES.
I complained to the restaurant manager, he went to have a word with chef then left us sat there and done nothing. This however was much better then the receptionist. I told her we would not be staying or paying for the second night and was told I would have to wait until the morning after she had spoken to the elusive owner. Come morning and contact with owner had been made. We were refunded for the food but charged for two small drinks. We were spoken too like naughty children and made to feel like trouble makers. We never recieved a refund for breakfast we did not bother to try, and I am still trying to work out why we paid £15 on arrival.
All in all:-
Overpriced
Over-rated (4 stars, please someone reassess soon)
Sub-standard food
Clueless staff.
The staff need to learn how to deal with complaints instead of channeling their interests in to how much money they can get out of you. I could not get to speak to the owner so I guess he was told I was a trouble maker wanting something for nothing (I am not, and I would not go back if it was free.)
Very substandard in such a nice location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank steven p
snowdoniahotel, General Manager at Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
The Hotel appreciates all genuine reviews but we will not be blackmailed with TripAdvisor for reductions and this review is purely the result of this guests failed attempt.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betws-y-Coed
Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 1 in Penmaenpool
The Gwydyr Hotel
The Gwydyr Hotel
#5 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!