“Nightmare place nightmare visit”

Swallow Falls Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Betws-y-Coed
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We booked for just one night. Two rooms including a disabled friendly room. We were given rooms in what the hotel calls the lodge .. Which is akin to a cheap motel block at the rear of the hotel. There was no parking for my car so had to park 100 yards away and the surface of the car park is totally unsuited to wheel chairs or scooters so had to struggle up to the rooms with the aid of my 73 year old father.... I still ended up on the floor with the loose chippings due to the slope up to the block.
Once inside the rooms there was a awful smell, and there seemed to be a growth on the ceiling in the bath room along with a general dampness.there was no heat on in the room (30 Oct) the build quality of the lodge was such that I could hear the conversation of the people in the room above me, also I had book a twin room and a double... So I was surprised to find a rollaway bed in the room that my son was supposed to sleep on.
The hotel was about 20 yards away over an unlit , unpaved yard and then down some steps .... Due to all the things that we found we decided to return home... 130 miles at night after a full day..... And forgo the snow don railway tickets I had pre bought.
All in all a terrible experience , and a third class hotel. I did not even get it cheap! I would recommend staying at a premier inn instead... I wish we had!! Terrible for the disabled too as I found out.The staff offered to put heaters in the rooms for a few hours.... That was the only help offered.
Nothing to recommend it and plenty against !

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Pete_pom
_Peter_Jones_61, Owner at Swallow Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

This guest did not have the courtesy to discuss their issues with us. Instead one of the party left the keys at reception and disappeared out the door. 3 days later we then received an e-mail of complaint, at the same time as this appalling review is posted. Usually if people have complaints, they discuss these with us, and we endeavour to resolve them. On this occasion they chose not to which we find difficult to understand. On subsequent inspection of the room no fungal growth was found, the room was clean and warm with no smell. If you read the review below the complaints have been about the rooms being too warm rather than cold. Also there are 13 lights in the courtyard where the rooms are situated.

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Swallow falls should get 4/5. It really should.
The staff we found were polite and talkative, apart from one receptionist who didn't give particularly clear details as to where the bike room was. However points were not lost there as that may have been fault.

The food was fantastic, filling homely food and the do a great deal with two mains.
The rooms are clean, although you may need to turn the radiator down a tad as it was quite stuffy when we got there.
In the bar there looks like one barman doing prettying all the work apart from cooking, so more praise to him.

Breakfast, was better than a lot of other places and a pretty good selection!
We booked Swallow Falls on booking.com for 3 nights at £50 a night with breakfast for a double room, our room looked out over the river which was very lovely as we could hear the falls.

Now, the only con. The Bike room.
When I finally found it with my wife, the door was open, another key was inside it. A single bike was in there, no padlock. My wife was fairly annoyed that this was supposed to be a secure bike storage. Also I'm not sure how many keys that have for the room, one person said three, then two. So that was worrying. But the most concerning was when I came downstairs the following night there was a different receptionist, she had never sen me before but when I asked if I could check on my bike she handed over the key, there wasn't even a check to see if I was a guest.
Furthermore, there is an alarm system in there, but you guessed it. It's not on. Ever, it seems.

My only gripe. But it's a big one when you have over a grands worth of bike to keep secure.

Swallow Falls is lovely whether you want to bunk it, stay in a hotel room or camp. Food is great as is service on the whole. Plus two pool tables, fantastic.
For couples and families alike, wonderful....
....just don't go for a biking holiday.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Will O
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Just stayed here for 3 nights to do some walking.
For just over £100 for 3 nights B&B in a single room you can't go wrong.
After reading some poor reviews I wasn't expecting much, but it would seem that some people are expecting 5 Star country house quality for a few quid a night....idiots.
My room was clean and well appointed, the breakfast was very good, and the bar food more than acceptable. The hotel has a good bar with pool table. I would certainly recommend this place and would return....for those of you expecting more..try Storrs Hall in cumbria...I stayed there last month...absolutely faultless...and you will only pay £180 a night B&B ;-)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Antony B
Reviewed October 6, 2013

For a hotel that has such a privileged location the Swallow Falls is a disgrace. The hotel bar is very badly decorated and is far from welcoming. Didn't eat so can't comment on the food. The bar/cafe around the side is simply awful - no idea what it's supposed to be at all - bit like a school canteen or old motorway service area - it really is weird! To be fair the cakes looked good. Overall a strange mishmash of an establishment that is crying out for the makeover and attention it deserves. Definitely wouldn't recommend anybody visiting.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The hotel was very clean and the staff very friendly. I was in the area for work but am planning on going back for a holiday and shall definitely stay there again. The only very slight downside was its location on a bend on a busy road. Having said that, I got out very easily every morning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Quite simply impossible to beat as a staging post for hiking in Snowdonia - or even a peaceful weekend away in Wales.

Set just off the A5 about 2 miles from Betws-Y-Coed, the setting is both peaceful and handy...and guess what - Swallow Falls itself is about 10 yards from the hotel entrance!

The staff are friendly and helpful, the chalet-like rooms spacious and the pub - although not always overly busy - is friendly and awash lots of like-minded hikers. Its not just a hotel either - there is a youth hostel and campsite on the premises. Its by no means isolated though, Betws-Y-Coed is a short taxi ride away (its walkable - 2 miles or so - but on top of hiking? Not for me). Book in advance though, taxis in the area are like gold dust!

To be perhaps overly picky, the floors are paper thin, so my friend and I were awakened both mornings by the child upstairs treating his/her room as a racetrack. But such is the way of hotels, and not necessarily the fault of the proprietors.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Convenient location in a lovely area. Stayed for 3 nights, co incidentally in the same room as a previous visit 2 years ago. The hotel is a bit tatty,as is the bar area, however room was clean and neat. Staff were without exception above average in friendliness and politeness which is a big plus. Food was adequate and value for money.The "Tavern" where breakfast is served could do with a revamp as it feels like a canteen.
Would I stay there again, yes, because I know what to expect.But I'd like to see some money spent on improving and updating the establishment

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Betws-y-Coed
2 mi away
Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel
Ty Gwyn Hotel
Ty Gwyn Hotel
#3 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Swallow Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!