“Don't book late unless you're a resident”
Review of Grill Room

Grill Room
Ranked #10 of 29 Restaurants in Betws-y-Coed
Cuisines: Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
St Helens, England
“Don't book late unless you're a resident”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were staying in Betws Y Coed over the weekend and were looking for somewhere to eat on Friday night, we looked at the Royal Oak hotel restaurant but didn't find anything we liked, however the grill room look nice so we went in to book. We asked for a table for 2 for 8pm and we were then asked if we were residents, when we said that we weren't we were told that we couldn't book a table after 7.30pm. Needless to say we didn't bother and instead went to the Waterloo hotel and enjoyed a very nice meal.

I cannot believe that this hotel is willing to turn paying guests away just because they are not residents and do not want to eat until after 7.30. I could understand if they required a credit card for confirmation on arrival if they are worried about people eating late and then not paying but to not even take a booking is a really strange idea as far as I can see.

We don't normally eat until after 8 and luckily there are quite a few more places which we could enjoy.

I think the management should rethink this unless they are happy to lose customers in the future.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Janet66

Thame, United Kingdom
“Quick service and good food”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The menu looked interesting, so we decided to eat lunch here. The food and service were good and the price of the set menu was very reasonable. Perhaps the vegetables did not need to be drenched in butter, but the dessert menu was particularly good. I would go back.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Fred G
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disgusting”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stopped by for a quick bite with a friend the weekend. Thought how inviting and friendly the place looked. Filled you with false sense of security. The place was heaving.
Initially I was only going to have a quick drink refreshment and my friend had mentioned earlier she fancied a pizza. So on ordering the drinks I also ordered a small Margareta pizza not wanting too much. Having paid over £6 for a small pizza when it arrived I was stunned. There was no presentation, no side salad garnish just this pizza looking so lame I actually felt sorry because I knew immediately it would taste as bad as it looked.
The first bite was awful, i really wished I hadn't bothered. No taste, no tomatoes and worst the tasted as if it had been left on top of the grill all day and was just filled with the taste of grease.
I tried to just eat the cheese and that was just as bland and awful. Eventually I stopped trying to eat this disgusting excuse for food and gave up. I called the manager and I only got the shift supervisor. He did however refund my money and tried to explain how the chef had just changed the base recipe. I asked him if he needed some lessons on making dough because it was evident the pizza was a frozen pizza. The sort where you can buy for £1 at your local supermarket. Not something that you expect to receive from this type of establishment.
Trust me if your passing - don't stop unless it's a drink you want and that I cannot fault.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank wolvobird
abergele
“good service”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

shown to table straight away, not sure if that was just good luck though.we were fortunate in that as soon as we walked in a waitress was passing. glad she was ,she was excellent ,slightly older than others,friendly, attentive and funny. she served us throughout our meal. average starter of chicken soup, lamb shank was smaller than expected but nice, same for the mixed grill. sticky toffee pudding nice but not enough of it. bit expensive for what you got but pleasant experience all in all.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank dustyAbergele
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Forget the grill: go into the main hotel entrance for a proper Welsh Tea”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Enter by the main hotel door and ask at reception for their menu. You can then book a proper 'cream tea'.
This is quickly served and has all the necessary ingredients: scone, butter, jam, cream, fruit cake and Welsh fruit bread served with a pot of tea and hot water to top up.
All well priced.