Waterloo Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel(Betws-y-Coed)
Swallow Falls Hotel(Betws-y-Coed)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Bryn Tyrch Inn(Capel Curig)
View Hotel
All reviewsleisure facilitiesdeluxe lodgethe main hotelsauna and steam roomswimming poollodge stylesunday carverygroupon dealpatio doorsbuffet stylerailway linelovely hotelsofa bedhotel restaurantnight breakplenty of choiceboth nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Wife and I stayed here for two nights for a wedding. Again, booked it on the strength of trip-advisor reviews. I'm at a complete loss as to how I had a completely different experience to everyone else I read on this site. I booked a deluxe lodge room and was told I would get a refurbished one. After the long drive through Wales to the hotel, all we wanted to do was relax. We checked in and drove to our room. From the outside the lodge rooms reminded me of one of those appalling cheap american motels - just give the exterior a lick of paint or something! Anyway we walked into our room and it looked like it hadn't been touched since the 60's (or cleaned), so I went back to reception and enquired as to whether it had been refurbished like I had been sold. Hugely apologetic they gave me the keys to another lodge room. This one had been refurbished, so wife and I settled in. Refurbished deluxe rooms have an entrance hall, a small sitting room (with TV), a bedroom (without TV) and a bathroom. Wife was very disappointed at the lack of TV in the bedroom - it's always something we look forward to as we don't have them in our bedrooms at home as a rule, so it's nice to wake up and switch some C4 comedy on with the morning tea. We took it on the chin as I needed to do some work before heading to the wedding rehearsal, so I ordered a cafetiere of coffee and the wifi code. Both arrived quickly, neither satisfactory. I don't expect wifi in every hotel, but if it is advertised, make sure you have it. I'm absolutely certain that the cafetiere of coffee was literally a cafetiere filled with filter coffee. Charge - £5. In the process the handle fell off of the door (leading not only to outside the room, but outside the building a la motel) so a handyman arrived and wedged it open until he could fix it. We had to leave to attend the wedding rehearsal. With an hour to kill between that and the bridal party dinner that evening, we dashed back to the hotel and decided to bath and change. The taps were loose in the bathroom, and in the bath the one that didn't come off with your hand didn't work anyway. I went back to reception and said 'I really don't like making a fuss but this is just unacceptable, I am paying not insignificant prices for a deluxe room - and nothing works - I don't care how much it costs me please could you just upgrade me to the absolute best type of room in the hotel' - she typed into her computer, looked back at me and said 'oh, you're already in it'. She could see how distressed I was so offered me another room which, although not at all refurbished and still looking like it hadn't been touched since Wilson was prime minister, was perfectly pleasant and everything worked. We moved our things and settled in again.
After the bridal dinner that evening we went to the bar for a quick drink before bed, it was largely empty and I asked the barmaid what flavour crisps she had - the reply was a shrug and then "red, yellow or blue". Oh come on!
At breakfast the next morning I asked the waiter if he could get the chef to do me a slice of fried bread - no problem apparently. From the result I don't think the chef has ever cooked fried bread. That's me being pernickerty - otherwise the breakfasts were absolutely fine. Nothing special, just fine - but it takes a lot to muck up an english breakfast.
The day at the wedding ensued, and we only returned to sleep, breakfast and then checkout.
I do have to say that apart from in the bar, which was appalling, on reception and at breakfast the service was friendly and helpful. The receptionist who dealt with me on the first day must have had amazing tact and diplomacy to deal with my endless complaints. I have never been a compainer before, but maybe I haven't ever spent this much money for such an awful product before. If I was paying travelodge prices then I wouldn't expect much - but the wife and I just got the feeling that this hotel was priced because there weren't really any other options in the area - only B&Bs - and that it took the absolute mickey out of anyone staying there by charging so much for so little.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Jimmy J
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have just read some of the 'poor' reviews and wondered if we had stayed at the same place! Clean, good food, great breakfasts, loads of parking space, all the facilities one would expect at reasonable prices and quite frankly, whatever the staff are paid, it is not enough.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel on our recent tour of the UK. As members of Best Western we prebooked accommodation here as we were experiencing difficulty obtaining daily accommodation on spec as we travelled. We were allocated a superior room which was located behind the main building. The location was a bit remote but the accommodation was great. It would be a bit inconvenient during winter when it was much colder. It actually appeared to be a suite and the extra space was wonderful. The main room was well appointed and well planned. The rooms and bathroom were comfortable and warm and everything worked. The bathroom was a bit on the small side. We would stay here again. Having to go outside to get to breakfast was novel and inconvenient in rain and cold weather, but the food was good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Waterloo Hotel on May 10th 2013. We found the Hotel very comfortable and the Restaurant was Top class and the food delicious. We stayed on a Package of Dinner B& B and which suited us nicely.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Close to all the transport links.
Nice sized double room with a very impressive bathroom.
Breakfast was excellent and all the staff very friendly.
The only downside was the very slow speed of the WiFi.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo