“First trip to North Wales”

The Stables Bistro Bar
Ranked #7 of 28 Restaurants in Betws-y-Coed
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Northampton, United Kingdom
“First trip to North Wales”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stopped here for lunch on our first day in Betws-y-Coed as this was advertised as a 'dog friendly' eating venue. The lunch was very good value for money and the service was good considering how busy the restaurant was inside. We were very disappointed to find the 'dog friendly' meant you had to sit outside with all the smokers where there was limited cover from the weather and all the floor area was tiled so very cold and uncomfortable for the dog. For those dog owners who do not smoke I would not recommend this as a place to eat unless it was not busy and the weather was warm and sunny.

Hessle, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We visited this pub for food twice, the first time was on a Tuesday night, fairly busy but teh food still arrived really quickly, which im not sure is a good thing.
I ordered a chicken curry, which was ok, the sauce was slightly watery, but it was a large portion served with chips and rice for £8.75
Mr partner had the mixed grill, all looked ok, cost £15.95 this was quite large and we had to leave some of both meals.
On this visit staff were friendly as kept quite busy.

When we went for the second time we just went for a pudding. We ordered to hot chocolates and 2 puddings. We asked for the delux hot choc only to be told they had ran out of marshmallows and cream, and were served by a young man coughing all over and asking repeatidly to be sent home, which didnt exactly fill us with confidence.
Hot chocs arrived with no spoons, so i had to find my own, which was a dessert spoon from the cutlary table. Puddings however were really nice, £4.95 each but where very tasy. We sat outside the front with a lovely view of the surrounding area.

Lots of staff just stood around the bar area, even though we had 3 tables surrounding us the whole time that needed clearing.

Pub itself had a nice atmosphere and gets quite busy at weekends with live music etc

Would possibly return if we were in the area.

Federated States of Micronesia
“Average - Shame you have to pay for the parking”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Not many restaurants charge for parking, sadly this one does...that left a sour taste in my mouth. The food itself is average and fairly costly, nice location. The table that we were at was places near the toilets and there was not enough space for people to get through - which meant we had to get up every minute for people to get through to the toilets.
I would eat there again, mainly as there is nowhere else that could accommodative a large group eating lunch time at Betws Y Coed.

Bristol
“I liked it so much I went back again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is a large busy pub/restaurant and that means the menu and meals are designed for that market. There is a fair amount of car parking outside the pub. I think it is part of a hotel which seemed to have more upmarket restaurants in the main part of the hotel.
We went on a Friday night in October and it was very busy with people coming and going constantly. You first find a table and then order.
The menu was varied but very much designed for the environment. As I recall it consisted of pasta, pizza, curries and burgers. There were also a number of specials.
A good indication of how well run a pub is can be judged by the queue at the bar. Despite being very busy there was no one waiting. The guy who served me was friendly and helpful.
I ordered pasta, my wife I think had a vegetarian curry and my son a burger. All were brought to the table within 5 minutes which is incredible considering how busy it was. All the meals were excellent and it did not feel as if they had been prepared with cheap ingredients.
The prices were maybe a little below what I would expect to pay but not that cheap.
As we were pleased with our experience we went back for a late Sunday lunch a couple of days later. The experience was a repeat of the Friday, busy but good service with good food at a decent price.
The only minor fault I could find was that when a table became free the dirty dishes were not cleared away immediately. So constantly new customers were clearing tables themselves.

2 Thank digbydog
Kidderminster
“Cheap and cheerful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was an eatery attached to a hotel. Its best described as a pub/restaurant. However the food was good and reasonably priced. We called in on two occasions and found a table, although it was busy. Service was prompt. Good value.

Visited October 2012