“A great B&B in a fabulous location”
Review of Grove House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Betws-y-Coed
Grove House B&B
Ranked #24 of 47 Betws-y-Coed B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Another great stay at this family run B&B. The hosts (Huw & Emma) are charming and nothing is ever too much trouble. The rooms are clean and tidy and the beds are comfortable. Tea and coffee making facilities are also available - just what we need after a long walk in the mountains. The breakfasts are excellent (try the full english) and the location is perfect for exploring Snowdonia National Park (Huw has an encyclopedic knowledge of the area and has recommended some fabulous road and mountain bike routes). We have stayed at Grove House several times and we will definitely be going back - we love it!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KJL59

Reviewed February 10, 2011

I have stayed here before when the price was just below £60 and for that I thought the place was great. But a price increase must be met with improvements and that is not the case.
The breakfast is the selling point and is absolutely great quality. You can also choose the time you eat so don't feel sandwiched into a slot. The hosts are fantastic and very welcoming. I have not experienced a lack of cleanliness talked of in other reviews. The beds are comfy although the one in the back room was too soft for me on the first stay and so when I returned I opted for a front room where the bed was firmer.
It was true that when I arrived the room was cold. But the heating was put on soon after and was warm in about half an hour.

The main downside of this place are the bathrooms. They have no heating and therefore are cold and are absolutely tiny. Water pressure in the showers in low and a tall/large person wold have trouble showering in the confined space. If relaxing and pampering yourself in a bathroom is your thing then don't stop here. If you are happy for a quick, no fuss shower then it will be fine. Larger bath towels would be an improvement although there is nothing wrong with the ones provided.
The other downside of this place is a lack of a guest lounge. This could be remedied if the hosts were to include a sofa and arm chair in the room where you eat breakfast. And cranking the heating up in that room would make it a cosier and more welcoming place to sit and read.

I really hope the hosts read this, because with a few upgrades this place could be fantastic

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank culturevulture80
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We booked this through the travel centre in Conwy and we were happy with our stay. The hosts were excellent - loaned us a road map, suggested places to eat, told us about the Welsh Male Choir meeting in a hotel after their Sunday concert. The location was ideal - right across from the village green and the train station shops and a 5 minute walk from the Royal Oak. I enjoyed being in a house with a family. Many B&Bs are retired folks but this seemed like a normal household with kids, a puppy and lots going on. Breakfasts were excellent. The bathroom was small but quite functional. The room could have been a bit wamer but maybe I should have asked about it to. I would say this is a good value B&B close to many things in Snowdonia.

Reviewed October 4, 2010

I booked this about two weeks in advance for last Saturday and Sunday night. When my partner checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor the day before our journey, I was a bit worried, especially after the review concerning the alleged standards of cleanliness and temperature of the rooms. I decided to take my chances and I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The hosts are great people, and immediately made us feel welcome in their home. When i confronted them about the review, they showed me the room (incidentally we stayed in that same room) and i've got to say the room was warm, clean and functional. There was no dust on anything or on the skirting boards. There was also no mold in the wardrobe!

When we got back from our first day out, the hosts recommended a couple of places to eat. We enjoyed sitting outside at the royal oak which is only a five minute walk away. When we got back that night, the hosts asked us if the temperature was ok - which it was.

The en-suite was admittedly small - but the important thing here is to have an en-suite that is functional - and this one is. And anyway, you don't go away to a place like that to spend your weekend in the toilet!

One thing i have to say is that the breakfast was out of this world. I am a fussy eater and generally don't like low quality - supermarket mass produced sausages or bacon. The full english was bursting with flavour (and bursting out of my plate) and the coffee was fresh (and my other half thought his pot of tea was lovely).

I have never written a review on here before, but i felt I had to put the record straight as one of the reviews almost put me off my romantic break and to be frank i would say the character of the house, the breakfast, the hosts and the very very comfy bed more than makes up for a couple of decorative issues. On top of all that, the hosts were really helpful, helping us to plan our walking routes and visit to their area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank catgirl-manchester
Reviewed October 1, 2010

This is an adequate place to stay, but perhaps the very nice hosts have been unable to keep up with it. The front yard was overgrown, the room very cold, and it and the tiny bathroom could have used a good cleaning and dusting. Breakfast was good and it was a quick walk from town center.

Reviewed September 26, 2010

Found this place at the last minute and sadly it is one of those places where they have obviously been doing this for too long and have forgotten about refurbishments and what cash paying customers want. Despite being lovely hosts and on initial entry the house seemed ok, however the room of acceptable size had a en suite which was tiny and in need of a refit and a good clean. the room generally needed a redecoration and was dirty when i went to use the sockets to charge phone the skirting boards were filthy and there were a few dead spiders and webs around. In side the built in closet was what looked like mould. The room was absolutely freezing and others also complained about the same thing. The host was lovely and helpful, however having three very young children was not ideal at bedtime or breakfast for paying guest.

5  Thank theopeanuts
Reviewed July 18, 2010

The rooms were a nice size and the beds very comfortable. Although the ensuite was very small it was clean and functional. We would have appreciated larger bath towels though.

The hosts were very friendly and spent a long time helping us plan our days.

The location is great for walking into betws y coed. There are some fab restaurants, we especially liked the food at the grill at the royal oak.