“Lovely food, quaint atmosphere, hit-and-miss service”
Review of Ty Gwyn

Ty Gwyn
Ranked #2 of 29 Restaurants in Betws-y-Coed
Cuisines: British, Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, quaint atmosphere, hit-and-miss service”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I ate at the restaurant on our first night in Betws-y-coed. I think we were perhaps one of the last group of customers there as we dined at 8 pm and were among the last to leave. The two courses of fish that we ordered were very good with substantial portions. The restaurant itself was decorated with a lot of knick-knacks and pottery particular to Wales and they exuded a certain charm. The service started out very well but ran out of steam as the evening progressed. By the end of our course, we had to wait 30 minutes to pay the bill, a sad end to a promising evening.

Visited August 2013
bampar, Manager at Ty Gwyn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for you valued feedback following your dinner, it was shared with the team , we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you again.

• Polish first
Nottingham
“You have got to eat here!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Old world charm and sumptuous food. I had the slow roasted belly port, a dish I wouldn’t normally have and boy what a great choice it proved to be. The chef here really does know how to cook.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank GuysNottingham
bampar, Manager at Ty Gwyn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a nice comments which all the team do appreciate
London
“Good service”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is a really idyllic and quaint place to come for a meal out. It's very popular but that adds to the atmosphere and the food was great. The parking is not great but this is outweighed by the superb service. Will be coming again.

• Visited July 2013
bampar, Manager at Ty Gwyn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Delighted to hear you enjoyed your dining experience and the service, We look forward welcoming you again very soon
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gorgeous food in an intimate setting”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I loved the extensive menu, the service was well paced and the setting was perfect. Really good value for money too.

Visited August 2013
bampar, Manager at Ty Gwyn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Many thanks for your kind words regarding your visit to us
I have forwarded your compliments on to the team
Bournemouth
“Overrated”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We booked in advance as we were aware how popular this place is, but we were a bit disappointed. We were seated in the bar area, which is very quaint and pretty but not really suitable for a special meal. It was very hot inside and no windows were opened, I guess because it's on a main road. We were offered a table with low arm chairs for seats, but were able to choose one with normal chairs as we got there early. We later watched the couple sat there struggling to eat with their elbows in the air! The restaurant area looked much nicer, so maybe we were unlucky? The waiter/barman was friendly and efficient. I have to say our starter of Pate was superb and plenty for both of us. Then it went downhill - our £20 bottle of Rioja was of the very cheap screwcap variety you can get in the supermarket for about £4, weak and watery. My husband's lamb was overdone and dry, my peppered sirloin steak turned out to be a ribeye with pepper sauce (nice, but not as advertised) I was asked if I wanted chips or veg to accompany it, I chose chips so was very surprised when it came with some sort of saute potatoes, which were burnt, greasy and inedible, so the chips were a good idea after all! I wouldn't mind their high prices if the food and wine was to that standard, but sadly I can't recommend.

• Visited July 2013