“Nice spot for lunch”

Ranked #5 of 29 Restaurants in Betws-y-Coed
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We had lunch here with a group of 8. Although the menu was not very elaborate, there was enough variation. Even a simple omelette or salad was presented with obvious care. The service was friendly and correct.

There are newer reviews for Bistro Betws-y-Coed

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Fine food - little nibbles to start with. Breast of pigeon and pate starters then lamb shanks, smoked haddock and veal. Raspberry flummery and grapefruit sorbet desserts were all good. Minor quibbles - something small and sweet with the coffee would have been nice and the veg were the usual microwaved stuff. Delicious chips.

However, weren't impressed with the arrangements for paying. We had to pay at the counter and weren't offered an itemised bill. As it happened not a problem because I had done my usual "guess the bill" mental arithmetic but when it's a £100 for four then you really should get a proper
bill at your table.

Service was fine except for one forgotten glass of wine.

Would happily go again.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

After a long hard day needed some nice food. Had a quick look on trip advisor and decided to give this place a go. I am so happy we did. The staff were so friendly, warm and inviting. Helpful with out choices, and even offered a couple of free canapés which were lovely. The food was delicious. Can not fault it. We had steak which was cooked to perfection, and the sauce was yummy. Staters were great. Portion sizes aren't huge, so you can fit all 3 courses in. The restaurant itself is also lovely. It's only small, which means the staff are able to be super attentive without being overbearing, and it has a warm cosy atmosphere. I was also extremely shocked at the bill, as was expecting to have spent twice as much as I had. Fine dining at a reasonable, fair price. I would definitely recommend.

1  Thank Nds16
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We ate at lunchtime, so it was pretty quiet and there was a special lunchtime menu, which had sandwiches, snacks, omelettes, and a few random larger meals. For example you could either have fish OR chicken, with exactly the SAME assortment of vegetables. Anyway, we settled on sharing "Anglesey Eggs" and "Welsh Rarebit" with chips, as our day walking was only half done.

The Welsh rarebit was tasty enough, the wholegrain mustard and Worcestershire sauce really brought out the flavour. The Anglesey eggs consisted of leek mash, with a boiled egg, covered in cheese. It was interesting enough and well cooked without really tickling the taste buds, but as its supposed to be a "supper" dish, I guess it's meant to be pretty plain.

I'm sure at night there would be a much more impressive menu, but the food we had was a decent price, and filled us up fine. Nice enough location, very good service, just not that exciting.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

This bistro has a nice homely ambience. Despite being very busy on a Friday night, they were able to seat me early at my table and served be delicious local ales while I waited. The canapés at the beginning of the meal were a lovely surprise. The homemade gravalox was delicious as a starter and the lamb cutlets were cooked perfectly. I only wish I had enough room for pudding. Definitely recommend to others.