“Unfriendly staff, smelly drains, Go Ape much better”
Review of Zip World Fforest

Zip World Fforest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Formerly Tree Top Adventure, the Zip World Fforest site is Zip World's most recent acquisition. It offers an idyllic woodland setting for all your adventurous wishes. Enjoy a journey through the canopy of the trees on Zip Safari, opening 24th March 2016, or bounce and explore to your hearts content on Tree Top Nets, opening 23rd July 2016. Free fall from up high on Plummet or sore over the tree tops on the giant five seater swing, Skyride. The Junior Tree Trail will also keep any little adventures busy! After all that adventure, why not relax, re fuel and watch the action from Zip World Fforest Caffi.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were on holiday in North Wales and wanted to try this out. We had done Go Ape before in several locations and been very impressed. This course here is much shorter, no zip wires and our boys aged 13 and 9 didn't find it a challenge at all, although they did enjoy it.
We found the staff in the cafe very unfriendly and off hand. In the car park there are signs all around telling you only food purchased on site can be eaten there, it was so over the top. My son stood up on a wall outside the cafe to get a better view of something and the woman in the cafe shot out and told him to get down, there were plants there. We looked - brambles, undergrowth etc. She could have kindly asked him not to stand there instead of her aggressive manner.The dirty crockery was not collected from the tables so there were wasps bothering people constantly. The loos / drains absolutely reek, obviously a problem.
Our session was running late by about half an hour and it seems they book too many people into one time slot so that when you actually get to the course you have to wait ages before actually starting, especially if there are some nervous people before you.
Our boys also did the power fan jump and the swing. The girl staff member at the power fan jump wrongly accused a man in the car park of smoking. He wasn't, and told her it was her dusty car park , but she didn't apologise.
In comparison to our experience of Go Ape, this place is a poor second cousin and unfortunately it was the staff ( and the whiffy smell) that made it less pleasant.

6  Thank BananaLegs04
Jason M, General Manager at Zip World Fforest, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

I would like to respond to your review bananalegs04 on the 25th August. I appreciate how late this review is in posting, however at the time I had only just taken over the position here as General Manager and was not signed up to be able to respond to any comments on Trip Advisor, by the time I was registered it was over a month and I thought this too late, however I now think that I should respond to as many of our customer reviews as possible.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the negative experience you had here, it is unfortunate that you chose only to express your views here on Trip Advisor and did not bring it to the attention of either myself (General Manager) or one of our staff on the day who would have been able to address your concerns. I therefore hope I can address those issues here. The lack of challenge that you mentioned is purely a subjective view, and while I appreciate that it might not have challenged your boys as much as you would have liked it does and continues to do so for most of our customers both for the first time and even for those returning. In reference to there being no zip wires, we do not advertise ourselves as a zip wire course, however there is a short one in the middle of the course which takes you to the scramble net, but I am unsure as to why this was mentioned?
In regards to the waiting behind others who are nervous and therefore slower, there is nothing that we can do about that at present. We have trialed in the past with groups on alternate wires, nonetheless the vast majority of people simply waited behind and supported those struggling rather than pushing past. We have no intention of changing our safety system whereby once attached you are connected for the duration of your experience. However, we are looking at alternative methods to reduce queuing. This would hopefully address the issues with a delayed start, however we did have two days over the summer period where two different large groups on successive sessions where very nervous and slow which had a knock on affect to the remainder of the sessions, again if this was the case I can only apologise and would have happily explained this to you on the day.
The smell from our sewerage system was an issue for several days due to a failure on two of the four pumps; this was remedied as soon as possible with replacements. As an immediate intervention we did have the waste management truck come and empty our tanks, but this did not unfortunately completely get rid of the smell of which you and our other customers experienced at this time.
I cannot comment directly about the instructor you mentioned who shouted at a member of the public for smoking as I was not there and none of the instructors can recall this specific moment. I can tell you that all staff are constantly aware and reminded by myself that participants cannot wear the equipment when they are eating, drinking, smoking or need the bathroom facilities. This again is purely from a health and safety viewpoint and ensures the longevity of the expensive safety equipment. Also no one wants to be putting on a harness with tomato sauce on or smelling of smoke.
Finally in regards to the café, that is a separate business to us and therefore I cannot comment on the issues you experienced. I can however tell you the reason that we are so strict in the policy of standing on the walls and tables etc is purely from a risk management perspective. Injuries can occur from this.
I hope this has at least explained or clarified the issues you have raised, we have hundreds of visitors daily and I am again sorry that yours was such a negative experience, as you can see from the reviews from our other customers this really does seem to be more of an isolated incident. If there are any further comments or feedback you wish to make then I can be reached on 01670710914 or alternatively Jason@ttadventure.co.uk

There are newer reviews for Zip World Fforest

Reviewed August 23, 2013

A really well run attraction for the whole family, if everyone is brave enough to do the tree top tight rope walking, zip wire, balancing. There was also a course for very little ones. There was a Restaurant with a limited menu

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I pre-booked the adventurers course, the powerfan plummet and the sky ride which offered a good discount on the individual prices of each attraction (adult £40 and child £35).
The adventurers course is a good physical challenge and alot of fun.
The staff are friendly and knowledgeable and you are under no pressure to complete the course in quick time etc. The course has about 30 obstacles which are a mixture of balance beams, zip wires, rope bridges, and parachute simulator.
Once we finished the adventurers course i mentioned that we were booked to do the powerfan plummet and a member of staff took us straight to this attraction without any waiting time which i thought was excellent.
The powerfan plummet (parachute simulator) is a 100ft climb up a pole to a platform which in itself is an achievement. Enjoy the views before you step off the platform and descend down to the ground - an exhilarating experience especially for someone who has a fear of heights !!!!
Next up was the sky ride - Europe’s highest and first 5 seater Giant Swing.
Again no waiting as the same member of staff took us straight from the powerfan plummet to the Sky Ride.
The ride itself left us all breathless as we were hoisted over 80 ft high into the air then released to swing out over the magnificent Conwy Valley. We were told that we reached the speed of 60mph as were released - i can quite believe it !!!
I would definitely recommend doing all 3 attractions in the one visit - Overall a superb family day out, well worth the money, great customer service and my fear of heights a little allayed.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Very challenging but fun course. The staff were friendly and helpful the whole way round the course. I liked the fact that once you were on the course you didn't need to clip on and off. The kids (7 and 10) loved it and didn't find it too difficult. The weather wasn't great when we did it but it didn't matter in the forest. Highly recommend it to anyone in the area as something a bit different.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We decided to visit while down in Wales for a week on holiday. So glad we did! We both had a brilliant time, the staff where very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything was on time and organised to a high standard.

We bought a package deal for £80 each where we got to do the Tree Top course, the Power fan Plummet and the swing, it was all so much fun and we thought very good value for money.

There is a small course for younger children and a larger course for older children and adults. Everyone in our group was of mixed ages and abilities but all seemed to have a great time. Our instructor who followed us round the course was great, he made the more nervous members of the group feel at ease! At the end of the course there is a mini Power fan plummet where you jump of a platform, this is a great way to end the course.

After we had finished at of the activities we grabbed some food, this was yummy and good value also.

Overall a brilliant experience and well worth the money!