“Brilliant steak” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Saracens Head

The Saracens Head
Ranked #6 of 11 Restaurants in Beddgelert
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Preston, United Kingdom
“Brilliant steak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Came here for the second time. Three of us and a dog came on a busy Saturday night for food. We were quickly seated (the tables all had reserved but the waitress told us this was so they knew where they were up to) and they were very happy to allow the dog in. I had the sirloin steak which was perfectly cooked and very tasty. It came with a large portion of chips. My parents had the lamb rack special. They said this was very tasty although the portion size of the potatoes/ veg was a bit small (had it come with 2-3 more new potatoes it would have been much better) so they ended up stealing a few of my chips! We then had 2 cheese boards between us which again was very tasty. The whole meal including 2 bottles of wine came to £90
All in all a very nice meal though some more thought could go into the portion sizes.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Appearances can be deceiving!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We call in here on our way back from a day out! We have two children 7 and 3 yrs.
After seeing children welcome and the appearance of the hotel/ restaurant looking lovely we decided to eat here. On arrival we we were very impressed the interior had obviously just been refurbished and was lovely.
The menu was very poor in choice, the children's menu was obviously decided by someone that has no idea what children like. We were told to order drinks from the bar were the service can only be described as unwelcoming. Food was slow and I had to return my meal as it was cold on arrival!
They then continued to clear our plates whilst my children were still eating!
My husband enjoyed his meal and the children said that they enjoyed theirs although my eldest was sick during the night I do not know if this was connected!
Overall I would say that the restaurant is over priced, food is not up to standards or worth the price charged £12.50 for a burger! If you want a drink with in a lovely location then maybe call in here.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Covestiffee
London, United Kingdom
“Embarrassed and felt ripped off!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

On Wednesday the 7th August my family visited this establishment as it had been recommended by staff at the local campsite we were staying in.I was told that the chef was really good and that the food was all served fresh.
On this evening we arrived without a reservation and i asked if it was possible to have a table for 5.
This was fine said the gentleman who seemed to be in charge of the restaurant and bar.We were informed that there would be a half hour wait,which was fine with us.we were then told to go through to a small bar area where there were tables,when suddenly a large woman with black hair appeared and to be frank was very rude and saying no cant come in here and told us to wait while she checked if we could.Anyway she didn't come back but the bar man told us to go through .
To stop waffling we spent £90 .00 for 3 sirloin steaks apparently 8oz and 2 burgers.3lemonades 1xlemonade and lime and 1 pt grolsh.
The steaks came out having been asked how we wanted them cooked.we wanted 2med well and 1m rare.well we got 2rare and 1 medium. half a tomato almost the size of a cherry tomato and a whole roasted bulb of garlic! Well the chef must be on drugs ! Lol what the f.... Am I supposed to do with it???
On the plate was some UNWASHED rocket salad.Gritty as anything! Nice!!!!
Also we received 2 bowls of saturated grease ridden chips!
I pointed out to the large black haired lady who I assume was a waitress ( all in black and filthy, I do not believe that iwas a clean uniform either.) and said that those two small bowls of chips were enough for in effect 5 adults as my children were not eating of the child's menu.She said she would get some and never re appeared.
I quite frankly could not justify spending any more money there.I explained to the chap i saw when we first arrived that I would pay the bill but was embarrassed as we had an invited guest with us and the portion size was to small the steak well I don't know where it came from praticaly flavourless it looke like it had been STEAMED.For this kind of price I feel that the quality of food was EXTREMELY POOR.
If the chef and Management would like to go to the local GLANDWR CAFE 1 minute walked around corner then that I can guarantee has freshly made ice cream etc..and not forgetting a third of the price warm smile and efficient service.
Shame on you Sarasens Head!
Ps when we revisit next year we certainly will not be eating with you.

8 Thank Mark B
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Do I look like I am waiting for a bus”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

On Tuesday 13th August, having driven up from Bristol, my wife and I decided we would call into The Saracens Head for an evening meal. On approaching the bar I ordered our drinks and asked for a menu. I was directed by the barman to take a seat and someone would bring us a menu. Having set up a tab for drinks and a meal we then waited for 25 minutes with no one attending to us. This was despite the fact the barman had no other customers to serve. Neither he nor the two waitresses who moved around the restaurant would make eye contact with us. When we asked to pay for our drinks, so we could go elsewhere to eat, the barman asked if we were not eating. When I pointed out that no one had served us he said "that should have been me" but offered no explanation. Obviously this establishment has more than enough custom and did not require our money. This is good news in these times of austerity. Thankfully we drove down the road and found a really lovely local pub that served excellent food.

5 Thank Joanna S
London, United Kingdom
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

They do a good job for a village pub. We went there for dinner and had burger and fries with drinks. They also have free wifi.
It is in a nice location by the water, and there is outside seating for when the weather is nice.
The bar was quite busy and it seemed popular with the locals.

Visited August 2013