“Fab evening meals”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Beddgelert
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Fab evening meals”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Go to Bedgellert every year and always have a couple of evening meals here , we meet up with friends who stay at the hotel . There is always a crowd of us and we've always had a really good time . The menu is very varied and there is a specials board too , this year 3 of us asked for omelets , the waiter said I need to just check with the chef as they were really busy , he came back and said it would be no problem ! and they were lovely , good prices too for an hotel . We'll be back next year ..... Hopefully! Do try , I'm sure you'll love it , and I'm really fussy !!!

Room Tip: Didn't stay here myself but our friends always do , and they love it !
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night after an exhausting but rewarding trek up Snowdon. The room was lovely, great views from the windows, a superbly comfortable bed and most importantly a very welcoming bath! What was not so good though, was the fact the the shrill overhead alarm kept going off throughout our stay! It went off a couple of times in the evening, then again just as we were about to settle down for a peaceful (wishful thinking) nights sleep. The fault seemed to be throughout the hotel, as when my husband went down to reception to report this, he was not alone! After being reassured by reception that the problem was now sorted, we were rudely awoken at both 2.30am and again at 3.30am by the alarm shrieking above our bed. Yes, I'm sure that these things do happen, but when we checked out the following morning, there was no apology forthcoming from the hotel. When we raised the subject of the alarm, after paying our bill, we were simply told that they were aware that the alarms had been going off, but that they had checked the system and there was no fault!!! We really would have expected a profound apology for such a disturbed nights 'sleep', but sadly customer satisfaction/service/comfort was sadly lacking. Although the hotel itself was perfectly placed for our adventures and the room was spacious and comfortable, I think we'll be looking to stay at a Premier Inn next time, as we would have been given a no-quibble refund for our disturbed night, under their 'Good Night' guarantee!

• Stayed June 2013
West Midlands
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed here for one night after climbing Snowdon. This was a great location 1. as it was close to Snowdon so not far to travel after a tiresome day and 2. as Beddgelert is a lovely little picturesque village. The hotel itself has lots of character and a lovely restaurant which we ate in usual prices for al a carte food. Very good quality & superb tasting selection! Nice homely feel with extremely polite & helpful staff. Our double room was a little small but all u need when realistically you dot spend much time in them! The sheets towels and bathroom was very clean. Stayed here with my husband and mother & mother in law who had a twin room who said it was a great sized room. The only thing that let the hotel down was there were lots of cobwebs in places so we thought appearance could have been a bit better! But that's us being picky everything else was clean .. Breakfast was excellent great service again and plenty of choice. When I booked the hotel I wasn't sure breakfast was included however when we checked in the receptionist said it was served from 7:45-9:15am so we thought great. However on check out we were charged £8.95 per head which wasn't a problem as it was lovely but a heads up would have been nice :) overall great place definitely worth a visit especially for the views and plenty to explore

• Stayed June 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

But not quite 'very good'.

Although our 'superior' room was wonderfully clean, spacious and airy and although the food was very good, well prepared and presented, the place doesn't quite float my boat.

I've been trying to put my finger on what it is about this place which doesn't give me the confidence to lift it up from 'average' to very good'.

Perhaps I didn't find it but it seems to be lacking somewhere 'snug'. I did see a lounge but it was in darkness and, unless I looked in at the wrong time, did not seem to be in use.

For a place of this size and maturity I would have expected a comfy lounge;somewhere to sit in peace and quiet for pre or post dinner drinks. Equally I would have expected a quiet restaurant in which to dine

What I did find was a brightly lit restaurant which seemed out of sorts with the rest of the place. It was quite loud in the restaurant. To be fair, it was a bank holiday weekend and there were a couple of young families staying there. We do understand that children are of course noisy but I guess that we shouldn't have expected a country hotel restaurant to be quite so lively.The food and dining room service were great but we never quite felt as though we were in a restaurant, more like a canteen. I'm sure that others are OK about such style but we prefer somewhere a little more tranquil to enjoy dinner.

The hotel is in a great location, very well placed for Snowdonia and the attractions of North Wales. Beddgelert is a very attractive village set amongst quite dramatic scenery.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night for a family event, could not fault anything. Everywhere very clean. Friendly helpful staff. Rooms warm, showers good. Breakfast just what you would expect, plenty of it, well presented, hot and served by friendly staff.

Had used the hotel over 40 years ago and it's good that both the hotel and area are unspoiled.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in this beautiful part of Wales.

• Stayed May 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just stayed at the Royal Goat and had a little trepidation given some of the reviews I had read.

Having taken 2 rooms it is clear the hotel is over time being updated as 1 room was lovely, well decorated and a bathroom which would not be out of place in top rated hotel. The other room was not to the same standard. The easiest way to describe room 2 is tired and dated.

They have free wi-fi, but you need to be careful which room you are in. Our room on the first floor had great access, but the one on the third floor could not pick it up.

When we checked in we were told Dogs are allowed in various rooms, but the instructions in the room are contradictory, and when we took the dogs into the residents lounge we were greeted with 'tuts' from other residents. The hotel need to decide where Dogs are allowed and then be consistent.

The hotel has a fantastic location, in a super village which is in an ideal position to explorer the area. The village has nice places to eat and drink, so you need not be confined to the hotel.

As others have said, the breakfast is good.

I would return, but would ask for the refurb rooms only.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have lovely views. Lower floors appear to get wi fi.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Basseth0und
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

an excellent base for any expedition to climb mount snowdon, or any visit to the snowdonia area for that matter. The three rooms that we took all had great facilities, the breakfasts were spot on, and the meal we had in the restaraunt was very good too

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beddgelert
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia
#1 of 1 in Penmaenpool
Plas Yn Dre
Plas Yn Dre
#1 of 2 in Bala

Been to Royal Goat Hotel? Share your experiences!