“snowdon - the hard way ???????”
Review of Snowdon

Snowdon
Book In Advance
More Info
$682.46*
and up
5-Day Heart of England Tour from London: North Wales, Stratford-upon-Avon...
More attraction details
Owner description: The highest mountain in Wales (higher than any in England) at 3,560 feet.
Reviewed January 7, 2013

ok so i have wanted to go up snowdon since i was 8 - 41 years later a friend says come on lets do it - he is i hasten to add a seasoned long distance and hill walker/climber. so - i agreed - he said "we'll go up te miners track - its easy ... and yes it was till we got half way round the scond lake when he pointed to the "stairway to heaven " as he put it ........... 2 and a half hours later and we are still going up ...... but amid the howling wind, the sideways rain/water voapour and cloud I DID IT !!!! yes it was hard - yes i was scared but i proved to myself i cn do these things and even if i didnt get to see the views i know i have conquored snowdon !!!!!!!!!!
however i did think that they wouldhave the cafe on the llanberis path open for me when i got there - but it wasnt so i went to see Stefans instead !!!

4  Thank sausagelover1963

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have been to the summit of Snowdon two times, once on the little train and the other time I braved it and hiked up, both times you get fantastic views but if you are healthy enough I would walk up as you can pause and admire the glorious views. I would only climb on a clear day, it can get windy and very cold so make sure you are wrapped up warm.

5  Thank Simon M
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at a hostel at the base of Snowdon and made the hike the next day. Rolling hills, mountain lakes, sheep wondering by on the trail, and we had beautiful weather until the top. We had a great time climbing Snowdon and breathing in some of the clean, welsh air. The hostel provided us with maps and safety advice. There are several routes for all types of hikers. Our route took about 3 hours up and 2 down.There's even a small train that goes to and from the cafe at the top for those unable to make the journey on foot but still want the views. The winds can get crazy toward the peak so go prepared even in good weather. The cafe at the top blends into the mountain side and doesn't obstruct views but is nice if its raining when you get there like when we went. Even with the wind and rain at the peak, our hike had terrific scenery and I would really recommend taking the trek. There's a little bar down the road from our hostel that had pictures and autographs of the first English climbers that conquered Everest. They used Snowdon as a training ground for their adventures and so should you.

4  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed December 29, 2012

If you are looking for a challenge then Snowdon has everything, no matter what anyone says the only easy way up Snowdon is on the train. Even the gentler Llanberis path is a hard physical workout and even tougher in bad weather. Crob Goch is not for the feint hearted, especially in winter.

I have taken a few of the routes up Snowdon, the Pyg track, Crib Goch, Llanberis path and Watkins path.

The Watkins is my favorite as every time I have done it we have been pretty much the only ones on there, the more popular tracks on a sunny weekend can get very busy with people queuing to get to the top and traffic jams occurring on the narrower parts, especially on Crib Goch

If you are thinking of doing Snowdon my advice is do it, anyone with a moderate level of fitness, some waterproofs and a decent pair of walking boots should be able to do it but if it's your first time on the mountain and you aren't very good at reading a map then stick to the more popular paths as the fog can come down very quickly and getting lost is a real possibility.

6  Thank l3nny600
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Snowdon is the Crown Jewel of North Wales.

The main questions new walkers ask: is it dangerous? is it hard?

The greatest thing about Snowdon is that you can ascend it on every difficulty.

It would take an idiot to die on snowdon if they stuck to the easy paths, but the danger of death is very real on Crib Goch, the most dangerous ridge, only about 1 metre wide on average.

If you are new to climbing, do the Llanberis trail, easy enough to summit in 2 hours, at an average pace, and the safest route.

Taking the steps up from the Climbing centre is medium difficulty, and will give you good calf burn, but make sure you always wear correct footwear.

Overall, with the Cafe's on the top, and the different varieties of route, Snowdon is the perfect walkers Mountain.

Remember to not go up with winds over 70mph and be vigilant in poor visibility.

14  Thank David N