“Excellent inspiring first trip”
Review of Snowdon

Snowdon
Book In Advance
More Info
$692.53*
and up
5-Day Heart of England Tour from London: North Wales, Stratford-upon-Avon...
More attraction details
Owner description: The highest mountain in Wales (higher than any in England) at 3,560 feet.
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Excellent inspiring first trip”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This was my first visit to Snowdonia and as I had no idea what to expect I made the ascent to Mount Snowdon via the Llanberis Path. I had read some negative reviews on this route mainly things such as 'least interesting route', 'tourist trail', 'hiking motorway' and 'easy but lengthy'. My experience is as follows:

Based on the reviews I had read I decided that I wanted to ascend as early as possible to avoid the large cluster of people that would no doubt begin to climb between 9.30 and 10.30.

I was the third car to park on The Legacy Royal Victoria Hotel car park, which was quite high priced at £6 but the car park attendant was very pleasant and informative. The attendant suggested that I wrap up as cold weather was predicted, asked me if I had packed drink/food and asked me if I needed guiding to the start of the path - he could have just took my money and let me get on my way so thanks to him.

I made my way to the Llanberis path along Victoria Terrace and reached the cattle grid at bang on 8am. First mistake I made was to walk too quickly too soon and by the the first five minutes had gone I was ready to turn back to my car - take your time, there is no rush (lesson learnt for next time). The first half hour in which I only passed a couple of descending people was very steep and at times my legs were burning and felt like they were going to drop off. After that and up to the Halfway House the climb wasn't all that bad and was mainly flat. I carried on up and that is when the fun really started.

I came to the base of some really steep stone steps which seemed to take forever to climb, I then went under the second bridge that runs beneath the railway track. By the time I reached this stage the visibility was about ten metres and the wind was blowing between 35-40mph, on went the windproof jacket. I was struggling and stopped every ten steps or so for a breather and whilst doing so some super human guys ran passed me in shorts and vests! I continued on for another half hour and all of a sudden (once the other routes merged towards the summit) a load of people appeared from no where, I couldn't keep stopping now and needed to keep up the pace in order to attempt to keep my dignity!

Visibility was extremely poor, my nose was running, my legs were on fire and my ears, face and hands were freezing cold. I had to remind myself it was July and not mid winter! I knew I was getting close to the summit as the Altimeter now stated I was 1025m above sea level. Finally after climbing what seemed like a million steps I made it and got a picture the brass dial at the highest part of Snowdon.

I headed into the visitor centre (very clean and tidy - I expected worse based on reviews) for a hot chocolate and watched with amusement as the plastics (lazy/rich folk who took the train [n/a to disabled or the medically unfit who travelled up]) came out of the warmth to have there picture taken on the summit.

As I made my way down I began to realise how inspiring my ascent was and how good I felt as I was passing all those on the way up. I also realised how much rubbish was up there, items from banana skins, jelly shots, dozens of water bottles and sandwich cases - its appalling.

I felt very smug as I passed the 'tourists' (hollister tracksuits, denim shorts with flip flops, shorts t-shirts, man in his Sunday best shirt, trousers & blazer and what looked like a stag doo of lads drinking Carling and wearing jeans, trainers, shirts) they really had no idea what was coming and I would love to know what percentage of those made it to the summit so ill equipped and under prepared - it was cringeworthy. A total of four out of breath red faced people asked me how long have I got left on my way down, one even asked me near the halfway house - obviously not the brightest person.

I got back to the cattle grid (now just down to base layer) 4 hours 47 minutes after I had started and was already mentally planning my next ascent up Snowdon. Can't wait to go back up but this time I will take my gloves and a hat!

So based on the reviews I had read which were 'least interesting route', 'tourist trail', 'hiking motorway' and 'easy but lengthy', I can confirm it was interesting and it was a tourist trail and hiking motorway (on my descent only) but it was not easy at all!

If you are in two minds about going just do it and make sure you have boots, thermal base layers, fleece, windproof jacket, hat and gloves. Go early like I did so you share the ascent with only a handful of people, its much more special and inspiring. Also, Its worth climbing just to see the tourists'!

1 Thank BritB71

• Polish first
Goes, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Be different! Walk up Mnt. Snowdon”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Most people go up Mnt. Snowdon by train. Easy, everyone can do it. Why not walk up the mountain? The reward is great! We made this walk with 3 children in the ages of 13, 10 and 8 years old.

Before you go, please check the weatherconditions en have enough water and food with you.

You can park your car by Snowdon Ranger (Youth Hostel) and from there you follow the path up the mountain. It's a good path. After about 3,5 km the path gets bumpy and steep. Lots of stones and rocks, but the view will be better by every step you take.

After 7 km. you reach the top. You can follow the same way back (which is the easiest way) or go down on the other side. This way is tougher, steep downhill and more rocks and stones. Sometimes you must find your way yourself, because the path is "vanished". Don't let this scare you, you won't get lost :-D

To find this road, you go around the railway station and follow the road over the mountain ridge. After the mountain ridge you go downward to the village Rhyd Ddu. Along the A4085 you go back to the youth hostel where your car is. You'll have walked 17 km.

1 Thank Ilona A
Hessle, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Pick your day very carefully!!!”
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

We were only in Llanbaris for a couple of days, the first it was raining so we decided to go up the mountain on the second day, bad idea!!! This day wasnt raining, but it was misty. 'How bad can it be?' I though, turns out, very very bad. In the ticket booth there is a sign stating the visibility at the top of the mountain, today it said 'poor' it should have really said zero visibity, then we wouldnt have paid £50 for the train up. We knew it was going to be bad, but not this bad.

Theres a nice commentary on the way up telling us what we could 'see' to our left and right. We could literally see nothing, it was like we had a white sheet up at both sides of the train.
The commentary was very descriptive and it was a nice looking train, however they do make 8 people sit in each bay which is very tight, if its quiet you can spread out, although you do get given seat numbers on your tickets.
The train costs £25 return each, or you can walk up and get the train back, which costs approx £18.

At the top there is a small cafe and gift shop with potentially amazing views. By the time we reached the top, it takes approx 1hour, it was pouring with rain and windy. We braved the outside, just through the cafe, onto the very top, i didnt quite make it as it was just so windy and we couldnt really see where we were walking. This small journey outside got us both soaked through so we went to dry out in the cafe, which was full of very brave, very wet walkers. Prices where ok, and i imagine after that walk you would pay anything for a warm drink. We paid £1.50 for cake and £1.95 for hot drink.

Overall for us it was a waste of £50 plus £4.95 for food. However partially our fault for going when it was misty, but also they should state in the ticket booth that the visibility was absolutely zero and not just poor.
We thought we would at least see a little bit, but we saw nothing.

On a clear day this would make a great walk, then you can take your time and stay at the top aslong as you like, on the train you only got 30mins. Just be prepared if you are walking, its long, hard, and the weather can change very quickly.

Littlehampton, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Excellent visitor attraction”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Book in advance on-line to ensure getting a ticket on a nice day. Spectacular journey.

1 Thank Ron504226
London, England, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Best campsite in Snowdon”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The campsite is split into 2 fields - one by the lake, and one by a stream with the main toilet block. The views are stunning from both fields. There are camp fires and trolleys for kit.

The main toilet block is super-clean with outside washing up facilities.

We didn't go to the pub except to book in on arrival.

It's everything you need from a decent campsite, especially with a young family. Highly recommended.

74 Thank Bradley H