“An old-fashioned but fascinating museum”
Review of Stone Science

Stone Science
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Pentraeth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My granddaughter (5) was fascinated by this place. The beautiful mineral and fossil specimens were a source of great delight, but she learned a lot as well. For example, seeing and touching specimens or replicas of dinosaurs and their bones made her realise for the first time that these were not scarry pretend creatures but had actually once lived. And the adults picked up a lot too, even granddad who had spent his whole working life as a geologist. A previous reviewer used the expression 'Aladdin's Cave' - my very words on entering. They just don't do museums like this any more, usually for good reason, but here it works. Yes, though it is literally dusty, it is never boring. The shop is worth sometime as well. The entry charge is minimal and, if you want somewhere to take the kids on a wet Anglesey afternoon, look no further. Drawbacks? Well, you have to keep you eyes open or you will easily pass it as the road sign is none too prominent.

4  Thank Douglas H
"school"
"shells"
"sharks"

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I read some of the reviews on this site, and was presently suprised at the eclectic nature of this place, my six year old son has just started up an interest in fossils so this was the perfect place for him. My five year old daughter also enjoyed herself. The owner is a lovely chap who clearly has a lifelong passion that he imparts in a friendly manner. please ignore the negative reviews as they are very unfare, and as I have already stated if your child has a fascination with fossils or dinasaurs or like my daughter likes shiny stones! this place is well worth a trip,and the dated nature of its decour only adds to the charm.

3  Thank garry_oakes
Reviewed June 16, 2013

long Time Since I Had Been There Myself To Find Not Much Had Changed, Well Run Family Business, Yes It Is A Bit Higgle Piggle In Maintenance But You Can Clearly See The Passion The Owners Have For The Subject, Very Informative& Also No Pressure You Get In Some Corporate Run establishment. My Little Boy Was Fascinated With All The Layouts (Though Some Being Basic& Aged) At The Shop In The End The Learning Continues With A Well Stocked Shop Of All Things Fossil Dino & Crystal At Reasonable Prices, Would Recommend To Any Body With A Couple Of Hours Spare :)

3  Thank markmlyn
Reviewed March 29, 2013

i am an archaeologist, and have been in love with all things old and dusty since i could walk! this place is an aladdins cave! yes it is eccentric in terms of layout and content, but the passion and time spent on this collection by the owners is apparent. if you love rooting through old antiquarian collections then you'll love it! i do!

2  Thank vhud20
See more reviews
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Having read the recent reviews about Stone Science I thought I should put forward my views.
Whilst I think it can be agreed that there has been a lot of hard work put into the collection at Stone Science I wouldn’t actually describe it as a ‘top attraction, awesome, great experience or a little boys dream’. It is rather more a place which has been sourced to display a huge amateur collection. It is a personal hobby of the owner that has got out of hand over the years and could not be housed anywhere else.
I too was surprised by the car park and if I am really honest there was nothing about it that would have wanted me to stay apart from the fact that we had been talking about it and so there would have been some disappointment. As one reviewer said there was a table with stones for sale for 25p each, we laughed that this could be the shop. So we went to the entrance and given the general condition of the place I was taken aback at the cost, it is more or less £5 each. Given the fact that there are many good attractions around at a similar price I think it is a bit too much, £3 would have hit the mark. It is difficult for me to accurately describe what it is like inside apart from a collection gathered together by a well meaning but eccentric person. There is no real form in what you see apart from trilobites and fossil stones randomly thrown together. A lot of the exhibits are home made and certainly not to scale. It would be fair to say that they aren’t in the best condition. Some really do have to be seen to be believed, they are funny. My grandson was excited to see the dinosaurs (one of which is depicted on the flyer) I can only describe this as a sandy table with random dinosaur figures displayed with no regard for scale whatsoever. He was totally under whelmed. These could be bought to scale from any decent top shop. I didn’t quite understand the presence of piles of random books, many nothing to do with the Stone Science theme. Most of the display cabinets were very dusty and in many cases the hand written signs were either hanging upside down or had fallen off. I think the grubby condition of the place was mentioned by a previous reviewer, but bear in mind that when you are paying hard earned cash, it might not be what you expect. At first I was rather impressed by the cave and of course the cave drawings, this was my eureka moment when I finally understood how Stone Science had evolved. It seemed to me that the owner had discovered these and built his collection around this. It didn’t take me long to discover that these had in fact been drawn and painted by the owner in an attempt to depict early man in living in that area. I did think though that it was rather strange to say the least. The shop has been mentioned, whilst those with a serious interest in fossil or rock collections could find it a marvel, well again I didn’t. I can’t imagine how or where I would proudly display a 6,000 year old sharks tooth or ancient pine cone in my house. In summary it would be true to say that people who visit and pay an entrance fee are in fact contributing to the upkeep of a personal hobby. If you literally have nothing else to do on a very rainy day and could do with cheering up Stone Science might fit the bill.

4  Thank Bernadette K