“Day trip to Dublin”

Stena Line Limited - Day Trips
Ranked #5 of 31 things to do in Holyhead
More attraction details
Owner description: Stena Line, one of the world's leading ferry companies, offers low fares and a speedier ferry travel service to Ireland, Britain and Holland. With our extensive route network, Stena Line gives you more flexibility and choice. As well as a range of hotel breaks, self-catering, landbridge holidays and the option to travel by car, by rail, by coach or on foot, you will enjoy excellent service and value for money. Book early and online for our lowest fares
Anglesey, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Day trip to Dublin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We always enjoy a day trip to Ireland , normally taking the HSS Stena Explorer over in the morning and returning in the evening on the Stena Adventurer.
Staff are always pleasant and willing to assist passengers and make their journey as enjoyable as
possible.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank 701delwyn701

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Harwich - Hook of Holland crossing, no lonnger a treat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

I use this crossing on a regular basis and always opt for the comfort class accomodation for my prefered over night crossings. Stena have now decided without notice to no longer provide the extras such as fruit, wine and beer along with savory snacks.
After a long drive all I want to do is relax in a comfortable cabin. These little extras were really appreciated. With the drinks voucher you are presented with at check-in you can go to the bar and put up with the loud piped music and crowds.
The Taste Restaurant continues not to live up to its name, poor food and over priced, I can not comment on the silver service restaurant.

Having said that the vessels are great and the cabins are good. I always try and avoid arriving in Holland on a Mon -Fri and the traffic is awfull if heading towards Utrecht.

2 Thank Schuby47
East Anglia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Excellent Stena Hollandica - change in comfort class though?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Just back from a trip to The Netherlands outbound overnight on the Stena Hollandica, back overnight on the Stena Britanica.
Both ships excellent as ever but I've noticed a slight downgrading in the Comfort Class cabins. Previously the cabins included a plate of fruit, some crisps and a mini bar including wine, beer and soft drinks. Now that has gone and all that is included is two cans of mineral water.
A voucher is handed out at check in for a free drink in the bar but no mention of the change when booking.
Also seems to be a change on the Britanica in that pre-booked meal vouchers aren't given out at check in. No problem in the Metropolitan in the evening but slightly chaotic for breakfast in the morning in Taste restaurant.
Still the best way to cross the North Sea though.

4 Thank Skywalker3
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fishguard>Rosslare>Fishguard.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I wanted to buy a large antique rocking horse that was in Southern Ireland- these are difficult to post, and risky to courier, so the only option left was to catch a ferry and hire a van.
I was shocked at the prices for vehicles, but have since learned that the Irish Sea and St George's channel is expensive to cross. [foot/rail passengers can get much cheaper deals] .
My memories of ferries in the past made me anxious about the crossing-I am such a lubberlegs I get motion sick on a bus ride into town.
However, this ship was much larger than the little 3 tonner that had given us our worst ever crossing. The ship is 'old' built 1981, but clean, and the staff are so helpful. My son had worked all day, and driven for 3.5 hrs to catch the 2.45 am ferry crossing, and he was exhausted. We asked if there were any cabins available, and were given a basic tiny two bunk one, [comfortable beds] with en suite loo ,washbaisin and shower. It also had a window. small, but again clean, and the bedding was immaculate. [£32 for the cabin] .

The staff are very helpful, and as they are Irish, have a working knowledge of the local area.

The food was fine, my son had a fry up, and the coffee was good. There were televisions, a large screen [for films] and the deck has plenty of space to walk about. The weather in the Irish Sea can be notoriously rough, but we were lucky and had a non-rough ''moderate'' one.
Compared to the ''gawk buckets'' of my youth, this was miles better.

1 Thank Cathy M
Gouda, The Netherlands
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A great way to arrive well rested at your destination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I love traveling with this ferry. I've travelled many times with it already and will keep on doing so in the future.

The best part is for me the kindness of the staff. It starts when arriving at the terminal. You get recognised by your license plate and are greeted by your name. The boarding is quick and simple and directions are given clearly.
*little hint: Don't forget to take your paper near the elevator that says on which deck your car is!

As for the journey, of course it is quite a few hours. It can get a bit boring. Not due to the facilities on the boat but just because it takes a long time. I always prefer day crossings and tend to book a cabin with them. I take an extra long nap and watch some tv.

At dinner time I always eat at the taste restaurant. Plenty of choice in foods (also vegetarian!) and it tastes well. Usually there's a combo deal combining a dish, salad and something to drink.

There are also some bars on board. Tax Free doesn't exist any more when traveling between the UK and the Netherlands, but the bars on board sell duty free pouches of tobacco (1 per person) so if you are a smoker you should definitely consider that offer since it's way cheaper than in the UK.

The shop always has a wide range of gifts available and also sells books and magazines. I'm not too keen on all the bling bling but I'm sure it's nice when you got daughters or a wife that like gifts like that when you get home. Personally I usually buy other things like a travel adapter I forgot to pack or headlamp beam reflectors.

3 Thank Jules v