“en route to & from Denmark. Stella Hollandica. Mixed feelings”

Stena Line Limited - Day Trips
Ranked #6 of 33 things to do in Holyhead
More attraction details
Owner description: Stena Line, one of the world's leading ferry companies, offers low fares and a speedier ferry travel service to Ireland, Britain and Holland. With our extensive route network, Stena Line gives you more flexibility and choice. As well as a range of hotel breaks, self-catering, landbridge holidays and the option to travel by car, by rail, by coach or on foot, you will enjoy excellent service and value for money. Book early and online for our lowest fares
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Would give Stena a GOOD rating if there was one. Could be very good/excellent.

We have always travelled to Denmark with DFDS before. Lovely small ferry but expensive. Decided to try Stena as an alternative.

Harwich to Hoek (overnight). We had a comfortable, clean and relatively spacious cabin. NO WELCOME ABOARD OR SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS OVER TANOY!!!!! The food in the Taste buffet bar looked good (we had already eaten) but it was a bit of a "bun fight"with a long queue.. Decided on that basis to have an early breakfast. Arrived for breakfast earlier than official opening time and dining room was fully operational so we had an EXCELLENT leisurely breakfast.

Hoek to Harwich (day sailing) Did get a welcome and safety instructions, hoorah. Because the buffet food was good we decided to treat ourselves to a meal in the a la carte restaurant. The menu was unimaginative, however we ordered for starters smoked salmon & deep fried camembert, grandmas chicken and steak with herb butter & gratin potatoes for our main course. Salmon was pleasant, but served with salad leaves & olives!!!? drenched in olive oil. Camembert ok but no better than a supermarket purchase.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!! The gratin potatoes turned out to be 2 miserable hash browns!!!!! The steak looked ok and was served with few (very few) soggy vegetables. Spoke to the waiter about potatoes, who spoke to the chef and we were asked if there was something else from the menu instead. Opted for chicken. The menu was snatched from my hand and we had to ask for my husbands meal to be returned to be kept warm. The waiter returned and apologised saying that he had not been told about the change in potato with the steak. The chicken was pretty bland but OK. Would strongly recommend eating in the buffet. This a la carte restaurant is pretending to be something that it isn't. NEVER AGAIN.

PLEASANT SURPRISE. We had booked seats in the Stena plus lounge. A small and extremely comfortable & quiet area, with coffee, tea, soft drinks, wine, fresh fruit, nibbles and newspapers included. Would HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Check in was at 12.30 for a 2.30 sailing. Check in opened promptly and we were on board by 12.50. so if you did not have a Stena Plus seat there would be no problem in finding a comfortable spot to pass the time.

On balance would rather pay the extra on DFDS for a better overall experience and a shorter drive to our destination. Combine the best points of both ferries and it would be perfect!!!

All reviews
"biscuits"
"booked online"
"ferry crossing"

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I read the positive reviews and was excited to spend an evening catching up on my email and enjoying some downtime. It didn't happen like that.

First, when I made my reservation, I was told to arrive at the Liverpool Street station at the wrong time. Luckily I made the discovery sooner, not later. The ticket agent at the train station messed up my ticketing and check in took a long time.

On the ferry, the internet didn't work. When I went down to Guest Services, I was summarily dismissed. There is a sign posted about the internet not working due to high traffic. Obviously, it is a chronic issue, which I discovered lasted all night..I think if they know that it doesn't work, they should take it off their promotional materials.

And it became clear that Guest Services was focused on freight haulers, not passengers. There was no apology and I was clearly bothering her, keeping her from her real work.

If you are a vegetarian, don't prepay breakfast. Just bring your own banana and croissants.

1  Thank NomadicKim
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Love travelling with Stena Line such a brilliant ferry company to travel with
Day trips are out of this world and at cheap/reasonable prices
Highly recommended!!!!!!!
Try it, you will love it

1  Thank donard b
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We travelled overnight from Harwich to the Hook of Holland and found this an excellent way to travel to the Netherlands with our car. For us, the journey to any East coast sea port is tedious, so it was a real treat to settle in our comfortable cabin and relax with a drink and a TV programme. The bunks were comfortable, the cabin very clean, the wake-up call discrete but effective, and we would really recommend this trip.

1  Thank Gwen C
See more reviews
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Recently I decided to drive to Nordkapp at the top of Norway, why you might ask. Well it was a good idea at the time.

The start of my trip was Harwich to the Hook of Holland via Stena Line. On booking I discovered that I have booked the right date but the wrong month to go out. As it was a fixed ticket I did not expect too much other than, "if you had bought the flexi ticket we could do something". Wrong. They were so helpful, refunded part of the cost and re booked me on the correct date.

Setting off on the due date my car started to play up. Back home I went. Once more they were excellent at changing the ticket with just the £20.00 admin fee, again more help than I was expecting from a large international company. Thinking my troubles were now behind me off I went once more to the outer depths of Harwich, but this was not to be my day. Actually nor was the day after either but that's another story. With the problem on my engine rearing its ugly head once more I was forced to retrace my way home.
Contacting Stena Customer services, I was amazed, no if's, no buts. Jackie was great. She dealt with everything professionally and very quickly credited me in full. Wow.
Stena has made a friend in me and I will be using them again. Its not often that a large company treat customers so well.
Thanks Stena Line. I think your short term loss will turn out to be a long term gain.

1  Thank Bowwow2