“STENA ARE 'ANTI-FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN':GIVE THEM A WIDE BERTH!!”

Stena Line Limited - Day Trips
Ranked #5 of 33 things to do in Holyhead
More attraction details
Owner description: Stena Line, one of the world's leading ferry companies, offers low fares and a speedier ferry travel service to Ireland, Britain and Holland. With our extensive route network, Stena Line gives you more flexibility and choice. As well as a range of hotel breaks, self-catering, landbridge holidays and the option to travel by car, by rail, by coach or on foot, you will enjoy excellent service and value for money. Book early and online for our lowest fares
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“STENA ARE 'ANTI-FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN':GIVE THEM A WIDE BERTH!!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

As an ex-regular user of the Cairnryan-Belfast service I was shocked when myself, my wife and our three small children (3,5 and 7) were unceremoniously evicted from the 'Premier' lounge as our girls were under eight ( we had booked and paid for this service ). The children were extremely well behaved and caused no trouble for anyone. We have never received an apology and our girls were left totally bewildered by this appalling act of discrimination by an over-zealous crew member. This crew member made a point of very loudly pointing out that we were breaching company policy before marching us out of the lounge. Our eldest girl was in tears. We will never use this company again.

Visited November 2012
6 Thank JIMMYS771

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lewes, England.
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Where is the Dutch charm???”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Harwich- Hook of Holland service is an easy way to travel, particularly overnight, with comfortable cabins (Mattresses superb) that are quiet and vibration free.
You can board from around 20.30 giving time for a drink and a bite to eat if required.
The Ferry is HUGE at 240M long, around 3 years old and spotlessly clean, and I would describe her as a good sea boat, with little movement in a moderate sea.
STENA line appear to have 'contracted out' their hotel staff on board the 'Hollandica' ~ whereas the ferry was formerly crewed by Dutch, the crew are now from the Phillipines, smartly turned out but lacking charm to me.
STENA advertise that the morning breakfast buffet restaurant is open until 8am. It is not. At 7.47 a burly chef was SHOUTING at passengers 'BREAKFAST FINISHED! BREAKFAST FINISHED!! and other crew were putting things away.
The breakfast buffet at 13.95 euro was in my opinion poor value, 'industrial' and luke warm..... disposable plastic glasses for juice, disposable plastic bowls for cereals and tiny cups for hot drinks..... served from only 2 vending machines....
Have a lie-in, forego the buffet and grab a coffee and a bun !!

4 Thank gatwickchap.
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Harwich to Hoek Van Holland - Can't be easier”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have travelled to the Netherlands by flight and Eurotunnel before and this is the first time I travelled with Stena Line and the experience was very pleasant.

Check in was smooth and going through immigration was very efficient. We are a family of 3 travelling in the 2 berth comfort class cabin. The cabin was spotless clean with everything we need, clean shower and toilet, comfy beds, mini bar, tea and coffee making facilities etc. To be honest, as we travelled overnight, we basically went in, slept and we were in the Netherlands already when we woke up. It can't be easier. We love to travel by car as we could bring groceries and plants back. Instead of going through Eurotunnel, Stena line saved us a lot of driving time and I am impressed. I am very prone to motion sickness and to my surprise, I haven't been feeling seasick at all. All in all, I think using Stena line is a very comfortable and efficient way to travel if you want to bring you car along. Highly recommended.

3 Thank BoBoPumy
Dublin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Stena Line”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stena Line needs to up its game in Dun Laoghaire. I was told the ticket office there opened at 10:30 but I was still standing in the rain with another traveller at 10:40. A nice girl appeared on the other side of the glass door about then but couldnt find the right key and we finally had to be let in through a staff entrance. Once inside the issuance of a sail/rail ticket to London to the first in line took ten minutes and then it was my turn.
When I checked in later another very pleasant girl advised me that I had to exchange my coupons at theHolyhead rail station for rail tickets. I knew this was not the case but I presented myself to the nice guy in the rail office in Holyhead and told him what I had been advised. He looked at me like I had two heads. Those are your rails tickets he said, there is nothing to exchange.
On the trip home on the Adventurer the staff seemed to assume foot passengers had done the trip before. No boarding announcement was made in Holyhead and when we pulled into Dublin Port the only advice was to take the green stairs. There was a bus on the other side of the ship so I got on it but there was nobody around to guide you.

Manchester
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Not bad!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Travelled Birkenhead to Belfast and return. Smooth crossing, cabin adequate, bit weaty smelling and difficult to control room temp, but it was OK. Bar prices ridiculously expensive! Didnt eat, but friends not impressed with their meals.
Woukd use again though.