“Stena Hollandica”

Stena Line Limited - Day Trips
Ranked #5 of 33 things to do in Holyhead
More attraction details
Owner description: Stena Line, one of the world's leading ferry companies, offers low fares and a speedier ferry travel service to Ireland, Britain and Holland. With our extensive route network, Stena Line gives you more flexibility and choice. As well as a range of hotel breaks, self-catering, landbridge holidays and the option to travel by car, by rail, by coach or on foot, you will enjoy excellent service and value for money. Book early and online for our lowest fares
Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you have to cross the Channel, this has to be the best boat on which to do it - it's clean, the cabins are comfortable and the waiter-service restaurant excellent (it served the best steak I have had in months if not longer). The staff, even those at check-in are friendly and helpful and there isn't really anything to complain about at all with regard to the boat. The only drawback is docking in Harwich, which is not the most convenient port and the transport links are terrible.

1  Thank Angevin1154

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Having had to abandon our flight plans as a result of snow in Heathrow we got the train to Holyhead & had a most comfortable crossing to Dublin Port via Stanaline. It's years since I'd been on a ferry & was pleasantly surprised at the facilities available & the staff were extremely friendly & helpful. It took all the stress out of the journey & we would definitely recommend travelling with Stena as their standards are obviously high.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stenaline Rosslare Fishguard on 28th December got off to a flying start...out of the harbour at 8.57pm I watched in dismay.
It was 70mph winds and torrential rain. Irish ferries had cancelled their crossings...so I decided to wait (in the waiting room with 1 broken vending machiene not dispensing a warm drink) only to be eviced into this inclement weather by Stenaline security who advised me the waiting area was now closed ! I explained my predicament and as I would now need to catch the 9am crossing the following morning. Unfarmiliar with Rosslare I was told the nearest open shop/stall/pub was 15km away and there was no bus!
And so they drove me to a Truckers Portacabin with 3 chairs bolted to the floor and you guessed it ANOTHER BROKEN VENDING MACHIENE but this was for cold drinks so it didn't seem so bad a loss. As the Portacabin was devoid of all heat and ran the risk of blowing into the channel, I decided to risk been run over my a wet car and hiked up the steep hill with rain & wind driving me back into the harbour waters.
I found a very pleasent Hotel on the clifftops where I recovered my windswept self,
Thanks stenaline for looking after your patrons...it would have made interesting reading with recovered from the harbour bay a 7 stone lone female finds no waiting permitted in the waiting room

2  Thank Vincent K
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Sadly our experience can be summed up quite simply: everything Dutch ran great. Everything British fell below par, however.

The Stena Hollandica on the outbound is a Dutch-run ship. It was clean, we boarded early in order to get a full night's sleep, the staff were excellent and the ride was very smooth.

The British-run Stena Brittanica on the return trip was just as good, except...
- Shower drain full of long black hairs, clearly visible by just look at it
- No baby cot on arrival.
- The baby cot that was provided was made from natural untreated wood and had not been sanded properly, leaving opportunities for splinters everywhere.
- Bed sheets not actually fitted, but simply laid on top of mattress
- Toothpaste marks all over the walls of the bathroom.
- No coat hangars
- UK passport control took an age

Although I'm an Englishman, I'm sad to say that the Stena Brittanica was so, so much poorer than the Stena Hollandica. Overall though, I've still given 4 stars as, on average, the Stena Hollandica pulls up the score greatly.

1  Thank Tim1983_11
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I travelled back from Hook of Holland to Harwich on 20/12 on the above and can highly recommend the ferry was clean and warm i paid extra for the Stena plus seat and was well worth the money . The lounge was not to big and was very quiet so had a table to myself there was free refreshments and papers to read, if you are like me and drink a lot of coffee for the extra £14 it was a bargain. I also tried a meal in the restaurant Swedish meatball which were on offer for 5 euros highly recommend.

I will use again