“Perfectly good way to cross the Irish Sea”

Stena Line Limited - Day Trips
Ranked #5 of 33 things to do in Holyhead
More attraction details
Owner description: Stena Line, one of the world's leading ferry companies, offers low fares and a speedier ferry travel service to Ireland, Britain and Holland. With our extensive route network, Stena Line gives you more flexibility and choice. As well as a range of hotel breaks, self-catering, landbridge holidays and the option to travel by car, by rail, by coach or on foot, you will enjoy excellent service and value for money. Book early and online for our lowest fares
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Holyhead terminal - At the terminal in Holyhead you are able to get a hot drink and there is toilet facilites, and you are kept up to date with what time the ferries are due to leave and the weather conditions out to sea, which is definetely good to know so you are able to find out what kind of crossing you are going to get.

Stena Adventurer

There is a option where you pay extra for stenaplus where you can get uploaded/disembarked faster and have your own exclusive section, but we didn't bother with that. The restaurant on board is good and they are generous with their portions. The shop onboard is quite big, and worth a browse. There are 2 decks that you can wander around, although the deck 7 is basically unused, atlthough I guess a good place to have a rest if you want some quiet time. The toilets on board are clean, which is definetley good. I went on the Stena Adventurer on the outward journey.

Stena Nordica and Dublin port

Not much at the port but there was some toilets which is good. You are able to get a hot drink if you require one. Stena Nordica is a small ferry and only had one deck really to wander around. Good food onboard, and a very small shop. The place where you can change you money back only opened for an hour but as long as you did it when you get on, it wasn't a problem.

So to sum it up, perfecty acceptable way to get across the Irish sea.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

We choose this service as we didn't want to fly and have long airport waiting times and possible delays. We booked on the rail and sail section. We did the night time sailing and we caught the train from London's liverpool street station to the ferry terminal at Harwich which is right beside the ferry terminal and is a short walk up the ramp like you would for a normal cruise ship. We took the earlier train so we didn't have to change trains. There wasn't much at the cruise terminal but there were seats, toilets and a small snack shop. We had to wait for the gates to open as i said we caught the earlier train. Through customs as normal then checked in for the room and onto the boat. we only had a budget cabin (2 berth inside) as we booked late, but it was fine for the few hours we would be on the boat. We didn't book the dinner option (3 course) either as we weren't sure how hungry we would be this late at night. After getting our room and dropping our bags we did end up dining at the restaurant and the meal was fine. We also didn't bother about breakfast as it was also early and just grabbed a coffee and muffin. the train station is also right beside the terminal in holland and we walked over to catch the train. very straight forward. highly recommended as an alternative to flying. we were in amsterdam before lunch. It might be a bit of effort for the elderly, but depends what room you book on the boat as the budget rooms have a bottom and top bunk and if you can manage your luggage up and down ramps, steps, lifting on and off trains etc; as opposed to walking on and off a plane. It took longer this way than flying but we liked it. No problem with sickness either. A bit of a restless sleep as it sailed so late and eating late also didn't help. A floating hotel rather than a ferry. We went straight to bed after dinner/drinks so can't comment on any other facilities on board as it had been a long day for us.

5  Thank ozveildancer
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My husband and I took the Stena Lines Ferry from Hoek Van Holland to Harwich.
I'm so glad my husband found this method of getting to London. We were going to take the train.
We took the overnight option and stayed in the Captain's Room.
When we first arrived, I was amazed at how massive this Ferry was.
The room was perfect. Everything was super clean. I wished that we were able to stay for two nights instead of one. I knew we were going to have a good night's sleep on the beds they provide. too bad Wake up was at 5:30am.
I had paid for a 3 course dinner and we had reservations.
My husband wanted to eat at the buffet, but I advised him to be patient.
The onion soup was too salty. His smoked salmon was good according to him. The risotto was good.
My ravioli was delicious and we had the best desserts. best creme brulee ever.
It's too bad we went at night since we had a beautiful of darkness from the window.
The ferry didn't leave until after our dinner.

Inside the ferry was pretty cold, so I had to wear a jacket to walk around. There is a shop inside if you need buy stamps for postcards. I dropped my postcards off at the information desk who sent them out when they docked.

I thought it was hilarious that there was an outdoor basketball court on the sundeck and people were attempting to play. It was super windy and cold.

On the TV, you can watch your pets in the kennel on a special channel.

We docked really early, 4:30am. I just saw the dock when I woke up.
To gently wake up everyone, they play Bobby McFerrin's "Don't worry, Be Happy" song. That brought a smile to my face at 5:30am.

Breakfast was awesome. I had purchased this ahead of time as well.
The yogurt with muesli was yummy. The bacon tasted good but looked like ham. I loved the hash browns and kept going back for more. The eggs were typical cafeteria style but you could ask for sunny side up.

When we got through customs, there was a train waiting for us at Harwich International. We arrived in London at 8:30am.

This was definitely the best option to travel from Amsterdam and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I felt like I was on a cruise ship for an evening. I took everything that was in the mini bar. It included Heineken beers and wine. It was all included!!

6  Thank mimimoura
Reviewed October 14, 2011

We booked via the internet (from Australia) some months prior to travelling from Stranraer to Belfast with a car. Everything was handled with high efficiency and we enjoyed the crossing immensely. Would happily use Stena Line again.

3  Thank Kenthurstian
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Booked the overnight Stena Line Harwich to Hook of Holland, Rail and Sail.

I took the 1830 train from London Liverpool Street, and ended up being early for check in, so this tells us that later trains can bring you there on time.

I loved every bit of the journey. I woke up early to catch the sights from the open deck as the boat sailed into Holland in the morning.

After you leave the ferry terminal at Hook of Holland, catch the first train that arrives and it brings you to Rotterdam.

3  Thank handsomecat