“Unexpected gem!”
Review of Escelantes Mexican - CLOSED

Escelantes Mexican
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Escelantes - Beautiful mexican food in Holyhead, Anglesey. Authentic, fresh and tasty with friendly service and a great atmosphere. Dining-in and takeaway / delivery.
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Visiting from Toronto, I did not expect good Mexican food in Holyhead! Was delicious, portions were big, staff was friendly and the whole place was decorated nicely. Will definitely visit again when my travels bring me back to Holyhead!

2  Thank LexSpiwak

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We weren't sure when a google search of 'restaurants in Holyhead' brought back a Mexican!

We've lived on Anglesey for 10+ years and a Mexican, really? We went for my wife's birthday and goodness me, what a find! We live a few miles from Holyhead and this is a hidden gem.

The food was gorgeous, fresh - nothing pinged here! We had fajitas (my wife and my 7 year old daughter) on sizzling hot plates - kids portion as big as the adults almost! I had a burrito with steak and wedges, really lovely presentation and very tasty. We didn't know when ordering that you can ask for extra spices, which we will do next time.

Fair play, a hard working couple making the absolute best of the cafe and upstairs area they have - the paintings on the walls are brilliant and the way they've decorated the upstairs (& starting downstairs) is authentic and adds to the atmosphere.

Holyhead has struggled as a town like lots of places on Anglesey (& the uk) the last few years but this place is indicative of how the town is turning itself around.

Puddings were also fab and big glasses of wine for the Mrs. Mmmmm!

We will be back! Thank you.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We live just north of the Mexican border and can assure you they do not serve Mexican food. The food was spicey and flavorless, the choice of ingredients was not of mexican origins. We ended up barely eating our meals and clutching our stomach all evening.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

I was very surprised how good this restaurant was, having been in two minds about going because I'm not a mexican food fan. The staff were welcoming, friendly, helpful and pleasant. While waiting for our meals, my wife took photos of me and my sons at the '3 amigos' and 'Butch and Sundance' frescos while wearing the mexican hats available.

We all enjoyed our meals, 2 people in my family going for mexican meals while I have to admit I stuck to the steak, which was lovely. The chips were among the best I've ever tasted - fatter than I usually like them and cooked with the skin on, they were ever so slightly spicy. I'm even a fan of onion rings now, thanks to eating there!

My wife and youngest son enjoyed their meals there too, and my eldest son said it was one of the best meals he'd EVER had at a restaurant!!!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Eat here last Thursday having booked a ticket at the newly restored cinema. Went on the strength of very good TripAdvisor reviews.

I wasn't disappointed. As I was on my own I only had a main - pulled pork chimichanga. It was very good. The tortilla was full of meat, onions, rice and peppers with guacamole, soured cream and some chillis on top. Was plenty filling and very tasty.

Will be going back there again next time a decent film is on!