“Oh dear!”

Cuisines: European, International, British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Its a shame to have to complain about what should be an exiting modern venue for family entertaining and dining. Sadly I think I'm adding to the growing list of disappointed customers. I think the fundamental problems stem from a blatant lack of staff. Those that are there are overstretched and probably under paid and under trained. The kitchen staff are, judging by the food , microwave operators.
So sadly if improvements are not made then this venue will I'm sure attract more negative feedback.

1  Thank eithin
davidb186443, Manager at The Standing Stones, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

I would first like to take this oppertunity to thank you for taking the time to visit The Standing Stones in Holyhead.

We pride ourselves in our standard of service and food.we will continue to train all our staff to reach high standards.

We take on board all the comments you have made,positive and negative and would relish the oppertunity to speak on a personal basis,about your recent experience.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

i have been here 3 times in total,the first time my mother and myself had a sandwich,they were awful and we were over charged but i did get the money refunded,second time i thought ok i will try it again and i had the 241 meal,which i must say was nice but only warm,went again today with my husband and had the 241 again,very quick service only because not many in,but again i was over charged,the waitress that served us really needs to learn some customer services skills,if she smiled im sure her face would crack.
the interior is really nice but i wish the food was better than what it is,i certainly wont be going there again,i think i will stick to morrisons cafe over the way

davidb186443, Owner at The Standing Stones, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is at the bottom of Morrison's car park and next to their Petrol Station. Therefore if you need a "view" with your eating out experience - forget this place.
It is ideally situated for anyone going to or from Ireland, look for Morrison's and Tesco.
If you are looking for a roomy place to eat without being too overlooked then this is Singapore Airlines compared to some Brewers Fayre's which I would class from experience as Thomas Cook Airlines.
There was a warn welcoming atmosphere with pleasant staff who were efficient but not "pushy and rushing".
A decent selection of meals were available off the menu and specials board. The base meals were as in similar national pub/restaurant chains. The meal offer in February 2013 was 2 main meals and the cheapest was free. A nice touch was serving custard in its own jug - a better one would be 2 jugs !!!!!
It looks as we will be coming here later on this week - hope this will convince you to try this out.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I visited here with my husband and baby on my birthday for an afternoon cake and glass of wine/drinkypoos.

Pluses were baby change and kids corner i.e. a carpeted corner with a few kiddie toys and puzzles on the wall where they can go to mix with other kids and play (although a bit advanced for a 7 month old)! Also, there is a kids play area outside for in the spring/summer.

Pluses are also the decor (still looks new and clean) and the size of the cakes we got!

Minuses were that it took ages to get our cakes, and I mean ages (probably about an hour in all). We had a wine and coffee (wine for me). We had drank these and were still waiting for the cakes when my husband asked a waitress and she went to investigate. We got the feeling they had totally forgotten that we had ordered cake and just brought them when we reminded them. They even had to ask us again what we had ordered!

It's a nice place though and convenient when you go to Holyhead to Tesco/Morrisons/etc so we probably would go again but we noticed there were a few people while we were there who complained about how long the food had taken to arrive and one man was complaining about the standard of his meal on his way out to the barman who when asking the customer who had served him, asked "was it the big girl?" holding his arms out wide. Unfortunately the girl heard and looked embarrassed which I thought was quite cruel. Maybe he should find another way of describing that member of staff in particular.

The people on the table next to us also had their order brought to them wrong, a mix up with onion rings and chips.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

But don't let that put you off......twice over the weekend ate fantastic meals, second to none and more importantly on the second occasion had to send the steak back as it was not quite cooked to my order. It came back with fresh chips and hot sauce with the steak cooked how I liked. Staff were friendly and attentive but not over powering. Definitely on 'my radar' for another visit when back that way. You will not be disappointed. The only problem I had with it was that it is children friendly, good I have children too, but would they please put all the families into one area and leave us a little peace and quiet. Children running around the bar is a no-no in my book, shame because it is really nice and intimate place to eat.