Review Highlights

Birdwatching with Ken

Reviewed August 28, 2017
mikemeaton
Buxton, United Kingdom

All reviews red squirrels different species wildlife tour dynamic duo his knowledge south stack lighthouse kathy outing egrets birdwatching anglesey starling choughs sea cliffs
Reviewed November 22, 2017

I'd never seen a red kite so that was our first mission. We met Kathy and Ken in Aberystwyth and within 20 minutes had seen 3 of them. However the 200 or so red kites that we saw feeding was remarkable and a memory that I will treasure.
As well as that, the Caped Crusaders managed to conjure up a bullfinch and fantastic views of a yellowhammer - both new to me.
We finshed the day back in Aberystwyth with an amazing murmuration of starlings. Ken then managed to deliver 3 purple sandpipers and then, to our delight, a kingfisher sitting beside a rock pool on the beach. The Portuguese Man Of War he threw in at the end was just showing off.
Another amazing day. When I think about it, three of the happiest days of my life have been the ones I've spent with Kathy and Ken.

1  Thank Simon T
Reviewed August 28, 2017

A great Bank Holiday morning at Malltreath Cob. From the moment we got out of the car, Ken was guiding us towards all manner of wading birds, including curlews, redshanks, and little egrets. We observed a comorant close-up, with its long, hooked beak and later, a sudden flash of blue - a kingfisher, no less, which we tracked again at the end of our walk. In Newborough Forest, what a delight - red squirrels taking nuts from feeders on the trees. We've only ever seen brief glimpses of them before, but here we were, standing for ages watching them feed. Thoroughly recommend a trip out with Ken, for anyone interested in birds and wildlife, at whatever level.

1  Thank mikemeaton
Reviewed August 2, 2017 via mobile

I organised a half day trip with Ken for my 70 yr old dad as a belated birthday present, as we were on holiday in Anglesey. Kathy took care of the booking and made sure to ask where we were from, as we were on holiday in Anglesey and she wanted my dad to be able to see different species to what's living in his home area which was very thoughtful of her...

Ken arrived on time and my dad said he spend an amazing morning seeing birds he'd never seen before and birds he'd not seen for over 40 years. What Ken doesn't know about birds isn't worth knowing and his knowledge and enthusiasm phenomenal.

I don't think I could have picked a better gift for him, I highly recommend Naturebites and I'd love to book a wildlife tour tailored towards children for my kids, if they ever offer one.

1  Thank hotessdelair
Reviewed July 30, 2017

Whether you are an avid birder or know little, but are interested and curious, you will have an unforgettable outing. Ken's knowledge is beyond impressive and he will make sure that you see as many species as possible in the time allotted. A few days after the outing, Kathy sent me list of all the birds and butterflies I saw with Ken. Since Ken had encouraged me to buy a small book of British birds, I now can look up every species he showed and learn more about it. Truly an experience that keeps on giving!

1  Thank MVKH
Reviewed July 25, 2017 via mobile

Fantastic days birding. 85+ species of bird. Kathy and Ken arranged a bespoke days birding tour. We connected with all the birds we hoped to see plus more.Excellent service and communication from Naturebites. Ken was the perfect tour guide. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Edwardsjohn
Reviewed July 12, 2017

We visited several different sites on the Island each having its own species to view. Ken's knowledge of Anglesey birds is phenomenal and his ability to share with others with the aid of his scope made this a wonderful day for us . Absolutely charming chap and wonderful guide.
We saw almost 60 species during the day - a fantastic treat for us. We would thoroughly recommend this experience to anyone who enjoys seeing birds.

1  Thank allanruthsuckling
Reviewed June 11, 2017

Our party of four set off with Ken for a walk along the cliffs towards South Stack lighthouse. The weather was perfect, the wind had dropped and we were able to walk along the lower path. We couldn't walk along there the day before as the wind was too strong. Ken's knowledge of the plants growing on the heathland was really good. We stopped at various points along the path, looking out to sea we saw amongst other things Gannets, Puffins, Manx Shearwaters and of the course the famous Chough. Ken then took us to the other side of the island to Cemlyn Bay. We probably wouldn't have visited here had it not been for Ken. It was awesome. Seeing all the Terns, lots of butterflies and seals in the sea. This was a truly memorable morning, one not to be missed.

1  Thank Lapwings
Reviewed April 28, 2017

We spent a very enjoyable hour and a half with Ken on South Stack. We are new to birdwatching but Ken made us feel very at ease, answering all our questions and sharing his vast knowledge and experience in a relaxed, friendly way. Highly recommended - and my wife has now bought her own binoculars!

1  Thank mikemeaton
Reviewed December 23, 2016

Ken has an amazing knowledge of birds. Although I have always been interested in birds he spots uncommon birds I would have walked straight past. Highly recommended whether you are a novice or keen birdwatcher. Ken has endless patience and set his telescope up for a close look.

2  Thank cgn3
Reviewed October 12, 2016 via mobile

This was our second day with Kathy and Ken and if possible, was even better than the first. Their wonderful, gentle company, knowledge and enthusiasm made for another tremendous day.
A succession of short walks in stunningly beautiful places, each chosen for the variety of the wildlife provided a brilliant array of birds as well as seals and porpoise. Highlights of the day included a great white egret which Kathy produced on request and then excelled herself by arranging for a little egret to land next to it for comparison. Lots of chough, goldcrest, woodcock, redwings and sparrowhawks galore - and again with a kestrel thrown in alongside for comparison.
You don't need to be a birder to get something from the day - just someone with a love of the outdoors and an interest in learning a bit more.

1  Thank Simon T