“Mexican Themed Restaurant”
Review of The Gateway Restaurant - CLOSED

The Gateway Restaurant
Cuisines: International, British
Reviewed June 13, 2013

After a disappointing search for something to eat in Holyhead. We had the good fortune to discover this little restaurant tucked away in a side street.

Contrary to some of the comments posted on here, found it to be quite a charming place. I was sceptical about trying the Gateway, as I have no knowledge of Mexican food. But was very surprised by the high standard and presentation of the food.

The first floor of the restaurant has been made out in a '' Mexican '' theme and appeared to be recently refurbished. Consequently it had a warm and friendly atmosphere and was a pleasant place in which to dine.

Food served was reasonably basic, but very well presented and extremely tasty.
A three course meal with a couple of bottles of San Miguel, cost £22 per head.
Which to me seemed reasonable value for money.

To conclude. A very pleasant experience, which I would be happy to repeat. A safe bet for anyone tired of pounding the streets, looking in vain for food. Well worth a visit in my book

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed lovely home made food and the staff were very welcoming and friendly. If youre after pretentious food and pompous service this isn't the place for you....however if you like a friendly face and tasty food I recommend the gateway.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

was shocked in reading the reviews on here iv been to the gateway cafe and always found the food to be really good, the homemade steak and ale pie was the best iv had in a long time! the owner served our table a lovely lady very chatty and couldn't do enough for us would recommend a visit if you are passing through holyhead

Reviewed April 1, 2013

we went in here as it was the only place not full on a Saturday lunch. we sat down at a table and I spotted all the place mats on our table had tea/coffee stains on. I looked at the table behind to see about swapping but that was just as bad. after waiting a while we placed our order. the coffee came out and I left it a little while to cool. when I picked it up to drink I saw it had developed a skin on the top of it....not sure how that happens but it was a little off putting. the toastie we ordered was fine but while we were eating we could see into the kitchen and I could see the staff were rolling a cigarette. they then both left the cafe to stand outside smoking, one of them did come back in after a customer arrived but she didnt wash her hands before touching her coffee cups and making food. the staff then swapped so she could finish her cigarette and the guy also didnt wash his hands.really wasnt impressed with this place, not had to have basic hygiene but the food was ok

3  Thank kirsteen j
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Waiting in Holyhead for the ferry for a few hours and decided to hit the town for some food. Almost everything in the town centre is now closed, which is a pity as it is a beautiful town.
Went to this spot as it was the only place we could find open on a Saturday afternoon.
What can you say, the soup was straight for a packet, the service was odd bordering on ignorant, everything came out in dribs and drabs.

2  Thank Aidan R