“Lovely people but needs a makeover” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Boathouse Hotel

The Boathouse Hotel
Ranked #6 of 27 Holyhead B&B and Inns
Oxshott
“Lovely people but needs a makeover”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

A hotel by the seafront harbour with pleasant views and run by a very welcoming, friendly family who really do seem to go out of their way to help you and make you feel at home. The people who run it are the upside. The downside is that it could really do with a makeover, the layout of the rooms is a bit illogical and the decor is past its best and it feels a bit in need of investment. The room I stayed in was very small but I guess for the price (£55) what can you expect ? Everything was perfectly clean and the food was good. I would stay there again as an efficient stop over on the way to Ireland but only for one night where all I needed was a bed and a meal.

Room Tip: My room was very small and I don't know if they are all like that so ask if you need something b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Itasca, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The room was just ok but the bathroom had recently been redone and was nice, the staff was very nice and the bar was a fun low key place to catch up with some relatives who drove in to meet us. We took a long walk and saw some interesting stuff and felt quite safe. We had to do some acrobatics (one foot on the stair stretch to the ceiling) to get wifi in the room but we weren't in there much so it wasn't an issue.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I actually had quite a nice visit here last August - stayed for a week. The rooms are small and not particularly luxurious but my room was serviceable and met my needs. The staff were very friendly and helpful - I arrived after the restaurant had closed and they ordered food to be delivered to me. My room had no wi-fi (although they did assure me it would prior to arrival). This turned out to be a blessing because I spent more time downstairs in the bar accessing the internet where I met a number of very nice guests, locals, and several pets. Food in the restaurant was good, service was great, the bar was fun, and the location was perfect for me - I was in Holyhead to kayak with Sea Kayak UK. Parking was easy and it is very close to supermarkets and the ferry port. I walked around at night alone and felt very safe. I will definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Holyhead!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank KayakWaves
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed here on 23 December, this being my 3rd stay here. I always stay here if catching a ferry to Ireland. The location is excellent for the ferry port and is far enough away from the town, making it nice and peaceful. The hotel is also pet friendly and as long as your pet is behaved they are welcomed into the bar with you. The bar is nice and cosy, with a mixture of locals and residents, take my advice and get there early enough to enjoy a couple of drinks in the evening. Don't get me wrong the hotel rooms are a little dated and you could stay in a travel lodge if you desired, but these to me Are very clinical and you don't receive the personal touch that you do here. The staff are very friendly and cannot do enough for you. Another downside Is that phone reception isn't great and there is no wi-fi. The breakfast again was nice.

My advise to you is if you need a comfortable, friendly stay for a couple of nights, then ignore these comments and don't miss out on a little gem- like I said if you want contemporary stay at the travel lodge, if you want somewhere homely try here

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank JamieNTammy
Bolton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Although we had stayed before we were mortified to return from our day out to find our room door wide open and the room key from another room in the lock .We immediately went to reception and have yet to receive an apology from the hotel (we stayed in September) To add insult to injury our bill on leaving included fifty pence for ICE.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Holyhead hotels

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Anybody wishing to stay in a hotel in holeyhead , stay clear of the boathouse hotel , it should be knocked down and turned into a helicopter pad , it wust be one of the worst hotels we have ever walked into, the biggest mistake I made was handing over our money before we looked at the so called room,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Henry N
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Friendly, attentive and helpful staff. Almost impossible to get a mobile signal or their claimed wi-fi. Room adequate but dated. Claimed 'bistro' is in fact basic pub food. A fair way from town centre.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Winklight
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyhead
Trearddur Bay Hotel
Blackthorn Farm
Blackthorn Farm
#1 of 27 in Holyhead
South Stack Coastal Retreats

Been to The Boathouse Hotel? Share your experiences!