“Grubby” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wynnstay Arms Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Llangollen
Wynnstay Arms Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Grubby”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

We went in for a drink and it wasn't a very attractive bar at all, people just hanging around and dirty glasses on the bar. Had to wait a while to be served. We ordered a pint which had to be taken back because it was sour. I wouldn't eat there, as it all appeared rather dirty.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank palane52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

What a fantastic find! We went there to get out of the pouring rain and on asking where would be a good place to eat, the staff said right here and they weren't wrong. I was in a party of 4 and the staff were so friendly they actually offered us free yes free starters! We gladly accepted and then we all ate steak for main. It was cooked to perfection and was of restaurant quality so the chef was obviously well experienced. The second night we went elsewhere and were all sorry we didn't eat here again. Well, well worth a visit - excellent food, excellent atmosphere, excellent welcome and excellent value!! What more could you ask for?

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank HappyWelshTraveller
wrexham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I visited the small restaurant In the Wynnstay this weekend and cannot fault the meal. We chose steak and the portion was huge. All the usual trimmings with steak plus extras and cooked exactly as requested. Pleasant staff and very reasonably priced. Highly recommended, we will be back!

Stayed November 2013
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed for 1 night 7/9, ideal location in the centre of town although car parking can be a problem. As this is a very old coaching house you cannot expect all the luxuries of a modern hotel. The pipes do make a rather interesting noise when the toilets are flushed. None of this detracts from what is excellent value for the location, the excellent beers and good company from the locals. Great breakfast as well, would recommend staying if you are on a tight budget or for just a short weekend stop over.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms so you don't hear the singing in the bar, better still join in with the locals w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for three nights over the August bank holiday and were very pleased with our choice of hotel in the Wynnstay. I thought at first glance that owing to the incredibly reasonable prices it would be out of town, but on looking at a map found it couldn't be better placed - right in the centre of town, a stone's throw from the river Dee in a charming old coaching inn on a picturesque little street; an excellent little restaurant called Gales is right next door.
Our room was on the top floor with a view onto the winding street - a little basic in terms of furnishings but totally clean, tidy and cheerful with a comfortable bed, tea and coffee, ensuite bathroom etc. Only tiny issue with the TV supplied was that we noticed the digibox wasn't working properly, but hey, we went to enjoy the countryside.
Staff were all extremely pleasant and courteous, the owner was totally dedicated to making us feel at home and I very much appreciated the relaxed policy for checking in and out. Thanks folks!

Room Tip: There is also a bunkhouse out the back - we loved our room in the main building though!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank windatyourback
Wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We visited the Wynnstay for drinks on the 13th June. We had visited Llangollen to play golf and were rained off. This is a quirky pub but with lots of character. It has good real ale, we enjoyed the Black Sheep. The locals were very sociable and the staff very helpful. I had read some bad reports about poor service, but it has a new manager (Mike?) and he certainly had things organised. Well worth a visit for a pint, or two!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
West Midlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was staying in Llangollen last Bank Holiday where I had a fanstatic weekend. After doing some lengthy hill-walking and returning to the town I decided to pop into the Wynnstay Arms Hotel for a real ale. I entered the bar and there was one member of staff present and a small number of people sitting in the area. I was waiting with my money in my hand when a guy walked into the bar and helped himself to a soft drink and paid the bar person. Still waiting to get served another member of bar staff arrived. Then shortly after a group of 15 people entered the bar and the bar person who had arrived then went to serve the group. Feeling dubious then about getting served and how long I was going to have to wait two other guys shouted for a drink from the service hatch and this same bar person said "I'll serve you in a minute". It was obvious then that I was being treated as thin air so I left the premises in complete disgust. I think it is the height of bad manners so therefore I doubt very much as to a return for any refreshment and judging by other comments I have read regarding accommodation standards I doubt very much I'll spend a night there too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank mediaplayer11

Travelers are raving about these Llangollen hotels