“Feeling Jaded”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Feeling Jaded”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Recently stayed at the hotel and the food was great, the beer was great, the wine list was poor and the room needed a makeover. The place was clean but cold once you moved away from the log fires in the bars. The naked light bulb suspended from the bathroom ceiling summed up the lack of care and attention the place gets. Breakfast was good but as we wanted to spend a day out served too late so our second day we left before the dinning room door was unlocked at 8.30. The staff were brilliant and friendly but the whole place needs a facelift. The location is grand and compared to many places locally looked palatial! I can see no reason why I should return to Llangollen - it's as run down as our hotel - but if I ever had to go there I'd stay in Betys-y-Coed!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roy D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
The Emerald Isle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at the Abbey Grange twice during the summer of 2012 and have to say I had a lovely time. The food in the bar was great! My rooms were clean on both occasions and there was no noise to complain about. Staff were really friendly and helpful. Maybe these other reviewers wrote about the wrong hotel because it doesn't sound like the one I stayed at!! I will stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We ate here August Bank Holiday Monday. We had to sit outside because we had our dog with us, luckily, the waether was warmish.
The food was OK, service good and prices were acceptable for where it is situated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I recently stopped at Abbey Grange for a meal and a drink during a walking break with friends. As we walked into the car park we are hit with an overwhelming smell of manure, however as this was the country side that was put to one side. However once we arrived as the bar it was not only the air that stunk but also the service. After deciding that maybe only a drink would be best idea we ordered a few pints of the local ale from the very grumpy barman. One of my friends also brought a pack of scratchings, but on looking at the package saw that they were over a year past their sell by date. This was pointed out to the barman who responded with "fine here have these" and threw a packet of crisps in our general direction and walked off. Calling him back it was pointed out that we wanted scratching and not crisps and would just like a refund. Well you would have thought we had just slapped him in the face and called him a turnip by the look he gave. "You are joking aren't you? You are really moaning about getting 85p back" was his response. "I can't refund you any money as I will be out of pocket" was his next unbelievable statement. He was actually trying to make us feel guilty for him serving us out of date scratchings. When he saw that we were not going to give up on this, he finally said we could have a free pint. This was reluctantly accepted, but even the beers tasted horrible. In fact you could have stuck a load of dirt and a pansy in a glass and it would have tasted better. So to close I say never ever go anywhere near this hotel, I am actually thinking it was not manure we were smelling on the way in, but in fact the hotel itself. Oh and the pillar by the entrance was crooked.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank BaggieElvis

Travelers are raving about these Llangollen hotels

West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed here over the bank holiday weekend and it was great. Breakfast was good (really good toast) and they did not mind us bringing our dogs for just an extra 10 quid. It is a good base for exploring the region and it was nice to come back to this quite charming little hotel. Sure the check-in was with the bar staff, but that is what gives this little hotel some of its charm, It is a peoples hotel. I would not hesitate one bit to come back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Me and my partner stayed here for a night and after reading the reviews in here I was a bit worried....I really can't see what is wrong with this hotel it is in a beautiful area with a lovely seating area outside! our room was clean with a four post bed, the bar man was very friendly! Breakfast in the morning was lovely we had the full well breakfast and the waiter was also very polite! I would stay here again and don't think it deserves the terrible comments!!

• Stayed August 2012
Venice, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Abbey Grange Hotel
Like many people from the English Midlands I spent many happy holidays when young on the North Wales coast. Even in the years when we could not afford a caravan holiday then a 'charra' trip to Wales for the day was a highlight of the summer. Over the years I came to like Wales, its history and culture although my attempts at learning the language caused wry smiles. This year I wanted to return and visit some of the places that I remember. Now this involved some delicate negotiations with my wife who can't stand the place. The result being that I'm going to be taken (very unwillingly to somewhere hot and sticky that I would never have dreamed of going if left to my own devices) in return for a week in Wales.
Travelling along as much of my hero Thomas Telford's London to Holyhead road as possible we decided to break our journey in Llangollen and stay in the Abbey Grange Hotel. There were three deciding factors in booking this hotel. Firstly it was in the lovely Vale Crucis and on the way up the Horseshoe Pass that was our route for the next day, but the clinching factor was that it serves real ale in the bar and features in 2012 Good Beer Guide.

The hotel is very quiet or rather its setting is. We had a very pretty room with a four poster bed. We both had pints of real ales in our hands within ten minutes of checking in and I can say that the hotel's inclusion in the GBG is not misplaced. The atmosphere of the hotel is comfortable and relaxing with excellent service and also good food served in the bar.
Only one minor not criticism but observation and that is breakfast was served at 8.30 which was a little late for us as we like to be on the road by that time. However that is to quibble.. What one couldn't quibble with is the breakfast itself. By a 'full Welsh breakfast' they mean exactly that. I took advantage of it and didn't have anything to eat until the evening. If anyone planned to use the hotel as a base for walking, let us say it would take some walking off.
Across the road from the hotel is the original cross that gives the valley its name:The Pillar of Eliseg. A further walk takes one to the evocative ruins of Vale Crucis Abbey itself. Llangollen itself is not out of walking distance especially of one takes the canal tow path along which Horseshoe Falls can be also visited.
As we left my wife suggested that we should return next year and stay longer.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have splendid views