“Tired, but adequate”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I staid here overnight in June, and left feeling quite mixed. The place is clean enough, and has a nice view of the river.

The main problem is that the place feels old. It seems like something that hasn't had a new carpet or any work done since the 70s!

The breakfast was mediocre at best, but sufficient.

What I will say though is that the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, so I thank them for that.

I wouldn't want to stay for more than a night or two though.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank LR16017

Reviewed July 5, 2014

This hotel is good for short stays. It has some positives, and negatives.

Positives

Bed was comfortable

View of River Dee was Spectacular

Location is central

Negatives or Improvements

The Room Keys, shouldn't be keys. It would be better if keycards were used.

One of the windows in my room didn't shut all the way, to me it wasn't a big issue but to those who have sleeping problems it might be

Amount of steps. Its not for those who are physically disabled/handicapped.

Other Comments

When I first walked into the wing of the hotel where my room was I felt like I was walking into a scene from the Shining. It gives off that sort of feeling.

Water Pressure in the shower wasn't wonderful

Ask for a room on the River Side (its quieter)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view not a street side room
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank DaveH1797
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Oh how this could be special, but it's not now. On arrival there was confusion about our booking. We couldn't have breakfast when we wanted as the American coach party had been given priority over other guests, we had to wait outside the dining room. The breakfast team were understaffed and the breakfast was poor. The room was adequate given the price point, no porter, no lift, dragged up luggage to second floor. Lovely views of the river. Oh what might have been.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Canny C
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Everything that needs to be said has been said; stunning location, no lift, sloping floors, threadbare carpets. Poor old hotel. Our room however was the best we stayed in on our 10 day tour (some at twice the price) with two windows looking out over the river which crashed and thundered by and a refurbished bathroom (do like a bath). Service varied from slow to non existent but we were in no hurry. Pity that the garden below the decking has been allowed to run wild. Breakfast was okay, cooked to order, though my bacon was a bit crisp round the edges. Time to go and there was no one in reception; we had to go back to the dining room to get help. We'd stay at the Royal again if we could be sure of a room overlooking the river.

1  Thank C C
Reviewed June 22, 2014

On trip to do Llyn Coastal Path, this was the first night for three of us. I'd always been interested in staying in Llangollen, so this was a nice opportunity, and the position of the hotel is superb, right above the River Dee where it cascades under Llangollen bridge. In fact you could go to sleep and wake up listening to the river.
The staff were very accommodating, including when some other guys joined us the next morning to head off to our long-distance walk, and breakfast was good. Don't know about evening food though as we went out for some beers and a curry at the excellent Samirah Spice.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed for a week, room lovely and clean with fabulous views over the River Dee. Just feel a bit of money is required to spend on the place to make it a great place to stay. The majority of the staff were brilliant and the breakfasts superb.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Royal Hotel in Llangollen and wished we had booked somewhere else. The double room was a good size and very clean, but the mattress was lumpy and I had trouble sleeping both nights. Blankets covered the bed, although we did find a quilt in the wardrobe.
The building is old, but we didn't mind that. There was no double glazing in our room, adding to the noise outside. Opposite is a church and the chimes are very loud every hour, on the hour, even during the night.
The situation of the hotel was very good, next to the river Dee with beautiful views, and close to some good restaurants and tourist places.
Contrary to what some people said about breakfast, I wasn't impressed. I considered it less than average.
The staff was very friendly and we have no negative comments about them.
Overall, I would not book this hotel again if I go to Llangollen again.

1  Thank Erika1uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangollen
White Waters Country Hotel
#7 of 10 in Llangollen
Lion Quays
Lion Quays
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!