The Hand Hotel
Bryn Howel Hotel(Llangollen)
  • Restaurant
Lion Quays(Weston Rhyn)
View Hotel
All reviewsmale voice choirlive bandriverside gardenthe riverbeer gardena large car parkfriday eveninghotel barbuffet stylebay windowcentral locationfriendly hotelenjoyed my staytwin roomstaff were really friendlystayed for nightssteam railway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Me and my partner arrived at The Hand Hotel in Llangollen on a saturday afternoon last month. We booked a week before arriving. I took the previous poor reviews as a pinch of salt as I do love hotels steeped in history and full of charactor. I don't mind out of date decor as long as it's clean! But I regret it now so much!
The so called "80 available car parking spaces" carpark was full and there was other cars blocking people in! We parked along side the garages. My boyfriend said that when there's a space available he'll move the car and which he did. But it still wasn't a good first impression.
There was a black door mat wedged between the reception door?! The reception was a bit drap and dull with finger prints on the windows. We had to wait around 10 minutes for a member of staff to turn up. He looked rushed and rather stressed as he was dealing with the bar too. We were given our key and pointed to our room. But the signs were helpful.
We got to our room and it was cold and smelt rather musky. There was stained carpets, stained bed covers, no shampoo or soap ect, curtain partly hanging off, peeling wall paper, shower like a drip which took a while to heat up, stained tea cups and the heating was just awful! The electic heater did eventually heat up but gave off an awful burning smell! I was rather scared to leave it on! So we had a cold room for the night! As I've previously stated I can handle old, out of date decor but when it's not clean it's a different story.
Coming from the carpark and the hotel it seemed rather full so I thought it would be fully booked, so I didn't even ask to be moved. And I didn't fancy trying to find the extra busy staff, who would probably find it too much of a bother.
We spent the evening around Llangollen, and hand a lovely meal in the Corn Mill. We came back to the hotel around 11pm. The band were still playing really loud! The bar was full of locals who came across really rough! And rather hostile! So we had the one drink and went back to our room. The band didn't stop until 1am! So we had a restless nights sleep and it didn't help with the hard matress!
Breakfast was ok but the sausages were really over cooked and were awfully salty! But the staff were surprisingly polite.
overall I wish I took the bad reviews in to consideration and didn't book at all!!
It's a shame as the location is beautiful and the hotel does have charactor. It just needs a facelift and a re-vamp for the rooms, decor, staff and facilities.

• Stayed: January 2014
8  Thank weekends12
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We went for the carvery lunch on the first Sunday of the month as they have live jazz in the bar as well. We really enjoyed it! The roast beef and Yorkshires were particularly great, and the veg was not overcooked. The quality of the trad jazz in the bar was fantastic and I would recommend it as a place to go for a lunch venue that has quality, isn't expensive and has a great atmosphere on that first Sunday of the month.
I really hope the management get the door from the car park fixed. We couldn't get in! Glad we did though...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank jowrightSomersetUK
Reviewed January 25, 2014

24th jan 2013.hi place it self was ok with a view of the river.and room ok.but breakfast at 9.20.am.awful.a bit of burnt bacon ,scrambled egg ,uck.,not sure how long it had been there.a black pudding.i couldnt cut it with knife and fork.so decided to pick it up and bite but teeth wouldnt go through.the young girl promised some fresh toast but it didnt arrived.my boyfriend tried to cut his but flew accross the floor.we decided to walk down and had brakfast near the lottory shop.in cake near over looking the river .with the lovely people who run it ,,.

Room Tip: room 16.a river view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bettercup
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at the Hand a couple of times when in Llangollen. One of the 'treats' we like to repeat is having a Christmas drink in the lounge room, it's full of beautiful leather chairs, always beautifully decorated with a festive feel & a roaring open fire to warm yourself by so, when booking to stay elsewhere, simply because the room we like at the Hand is a little worn & tired, rubbish heating in the room, we promised ourselves a visit to the hand for a meal & drink.
We went on the day the Christmas lights were being turned on.
1. Arrival- no Christmas tree by reception which we have always commented on.
2. No staff- bar man appeared to be responsible for everything that day.
3. Very empty, no atmosphere, the lovely room closed off.

Such a huge difference to when we have been before. What's happened???

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank tsniggyCheshire
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Disappointed with the welcome. No wi-fi in the rooms. Most of the staff really attentive but lacking enthusiasm. Will go back for other reasons that are personal. Breakfast was good but bar food mediocre.

• Stayed: December 2013