“Helpful staff in a bit of a tired hotel”
Review of The Hand Hotel

The Hand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed as part of the group whose motorcycles so clearly offended reviewer AJI Bell (see 28 August). This was a return visit. The standard of help by the staff was much much better than a couple of years ago. We had travelled from afar as Moscow and the Netherlands and overall, received good service. The hotel was noisy on Friday night, but a long journey meant we slept well. Staff were extremely helpful with extra things like minding our luggage after we had checked out and trying to help me find my carelessly mislaid gloves. Mike in particular was super but also other staff on reception while we were there who I witnessed dealing with some quite challenging and rude behaviour from people booking in. The hotel decor is a bit tired and our mattress rather saggy, but on the whole, the stay was fine.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Hand Hotel

Reviewed September 2, 2013

needs major investment in the bedrooms and ensuite bathrooms. The previous review by Fazmam hits the nail on the head and is fair and accurate. The saving grace about this hotel is the staff who deserve the highest acclaim. They were very friendly and extremely polite and helpful and are worth a 5-star rating. I would not wish to put anyone off this hotel as I would return at any time. As the saying goes, you pay for what you get. With the Hand Hotel you pay for the quality of the staff. Da iawn!

Room Tip: First floor room with a view overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel has the potential for being so much more, but if it was given some TLC then the cost would probably go up as well. Scrupulously clean throughout with hard working staff there is an air of a grand hotel down on its luck with a areas that have definitely seen better days. The rooms were accessed by stairs going off from other stairs with adjoing landings as buildings must have been knocked together over time. The higgldy piggelty nature of the resulting layout gave it some charm and when passing rooms that were being cleaned it seemed that all looked as though they had different layouts and furniture but with similar decorations. There were two rooms for our party both made the best use of the space available which lead to some quirky placing of wardrobes and bathrooms. On that note - watch out for the showers which were rather temperamental with the temperature varying from freezing cold to boiling hot and back again in the course of a single shower. The breakfasts were good with gluten free bread and cereals being priovided on request and were buffet style. I spotted a sign outside offering the breakfast to non-residents for £7.50 and I would say that this would give really good value for money. On a purely personal note, this hotel for some reason felt typically English to me and given its location I would have thought that more could have been made of its 'Welshness' especially since the local Male voice choir use it to reherse in and give informal performances on a Friday evening.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Lovely receptionist staff. Booked a single room with an extra bed and was promptly upgraded to a large twin room overlooking the river and hills. Very clean and hot shower. I usually research every hotel I stay in but this was a rushed booking so I didn't realise that Fri night is Male Voice choir night (very nice) and Sat is band night. Both were so loud with the band playing until 12.30am, it was impossible to sleep which is what I like to do when on holiday! On the first night a huge group of youngsters woke me up in the early hours of the morning with their shouting.

Breakfast was mediocre and the staff looked stressed at the very least. On one occasion we came home to find our room door left ajar- luckily I took all my valuables with me but not a nice feeling. Wi fi was only accessible in the foyer and bar.

Nice beer garden and views, but I wouldn't stay again or recommend to anyone who values their sleep.

Room Tip: As far away from the bar as possible on a Fri or Sat night.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were staying in The Hand Hotel for a night and we were given the family room which was on the other side of the hotel. The room was alright. Beds were comfortable, a nice bathroom, spacious rooms, but did not have a TV.

The lobby was quite welcoming and hotel personnel were very nice and friendly.

The breakfast room was delightful and quite large. The food was delicious and cooked very well!

Would love to spend another night!

Room Tip: I wouldn't suggest booking a family room. If a large room is needed I think it would be better f...
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were given a room that was a bit small of us. So asked reception if we could have a bigger room; they gave us the best room in the hotel, at no extra cost.

The breakfast was generous and good quality.

This is a 3 star hotel-so don't expect everything to be brand-new. But we were very satisfied with the service and consider this very good value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Booked my room back in March and, having seen previous reviews recommending to book a refurbished room overlooking the river (because the other side was so noisy), I did just that and was promised such a room. I rang again a week before, to check the booking; very vague receptionist didn't seem to know what she was doing, got my name and the date of the booking wrong, eventually said I did have the room I wanted. Got there to find I was booked into a cupboard overlooking a car park full of motorbikes. First cock up. Changed rooms eventually for one overlooking river, on the top floor, slightly bigger cupboard, tired décor and carpets. Shower dreadful. Breakfast luke warm (cold, stewed tea) and eggs floating in fat; the girls serving were pleasant enough but didn't have a clue - lacked any kind of decent training! The only plus was the male voice choir session in the bar on the night we stayed - they were lovely. But the overall service and dreadful lack of communication ruined what was hoped to be an enjoyable stay. There were some lovely rooms, obviously, and I thought booking in March would guarantee a decent one, especially as I specifically asked, but I was just given any old room. Not good enough and I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Oh and no one apologised!

Room Tip: Book a room overlooking the river but get it confirmed in writing and signed in blood and keep ringi...