The Hand Hotel
$87
$84
Travelocity
Bryn Howel Hotel(Llangollen)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmale voice choirlive bandriverside gardenthe riverbeer gardena large car parkfriday eveninghotel barbuffet stylebay windowcentral locationfriendly hotelenjoyed my staytwin roomstaff were really friendlystayed for nightssteam railway
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Visited Llangollen to go on a barge trip in Trevor with 20 family members.10 of us stayed at The Hand.Very friendly service on arrival.Lovely olde worlde place , lots of room to walk about and sit.All rooms had more beds in than we needed , 1 single room had 3 beds , my family room had 5.Had a meal at dinner , steak , but wasnt anything special but fine.Breakfast was amazing , all sorts on offer in a big breakfast room.Entertainment on saturday night was a great rock/ rok n roll band , very loud , and surprising considering there were 50 or so older people on a trip from Luton! Great stuff. Right in the middle of town , large car parking , When I go back to Llangollen this is where we will be staying.Great views from room of the river and its own large garden area , lovely

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hotel is centrally located in Llangollen and has a lovely garden attached which overlooks the river. I paid £50 for a single room which had three single beds in it. Usually that would mean the room was very cramped but the room was huge. This did lead to the room becoming quite cold because there was only a small electric heater but it wasn't too bad. The staff were very friendly and helpful and there was a nice atmosphere at the hotel. It was mostly older people staying there but also some bikers and our large family with children.

The breakfast was included and was very good. I would definitely stay here again. There are no lifts however, so if you are a wheelchair user or can't handle many stairs I would give them a call first to check how they will cater for you, as the breakfast room is also up a flight of stairs.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2013

A group of 10 of us stayed here for a stag do, purely for it's location and proximity to the outdoor activities on offer (white water kayak, rock climbing and abseiling). It wasn't disgustingly un-clean, and the breakfast was well above average, but the rooms were very small, with a tiny closet for a toilet and shower. The room's were just so basic, but as we weren't interested in the spec of the room, it was a fine place to sleep after a days activities and a nights food and drink. The bar was very small, but it was friendly, and a good place to get a few drinks before going out into Llangollen itself. It was a great stay overall, but I wouldn't take my wife there to be fair, it was just too basic.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alan T
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I was one of a group of 13 walkers who stayed at the Hand Hotel and for us it was ideally located as a base for walking the Berwyns and one of the most scenic sections of Offa's Dyke. We found the staff to be universally helpful, polite and friendly.

The rooms were all en-suite and varied from quite small but adequate singles to more spacious twins. The rooms are spread over several floors and involve quite a maize of stairs and doors. There is no lift which would limit access to the higher rooms for anyone with disabilities. There are low level rooms but from the experience of some of our group these could be noisy, particularly at the weekend, if there was a celebration or hen party in full flow. I had room 38, a single room and had perfect peace for each of the 4 nights we stayed at The Hand.

I enjoyed all my meals at The Hand from the full Welsh breakfast, which kept me going all day up and down the hills, to a dinner in the restaurant and a bar meal in the lounge. I thought the meals were excellent value for money and would happily have dined at The Hand each night.

I thought the hotel was comfortable and nicely decorated and probably my only niggle was that the over bath shower had a rather inefficient shower head and so I switched to having a bath each night - not a bad idea after a day in the hills.

We hope to have another walking holiday in the Llangollen area and we would have no hesitation in returning to The Hand next time.

Room Tip: Higher rooms away from the car park would be quieter - particularly at the weekend
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We just stayed here last week, we were a group of 45 people. The students loved their rooms and had a great time climbing the mountain nearby. There was also free wifi that actually worked which was a plus!

Our room in particular was very small and the sheets on my bed were stained. The room was freezing and I thought the heater was going to burn down the place if we turned it on. The toilet only flushed sporadically. We only stayed there 1 night so we dealt with it.

I didn't get any "ghostly" feelings as many people have said there are spirits or feelings that someone was following you down the narrow hallways. Some parts did remind people of "the shining" but not for me. The rumor was that room 14 was haunted, and the guys who stayed there did get some weird feelings. We stayed in room 5, no spirits.

Dinner started off good with some soup, but quickly went downhill with some cottage pie. I wish I just asked for more soup, since I wasn't a fan of the pie and neither were most of the students. We all ended up going out for pizza later.

The best part of the stay was later in the night when a group of locals invited our students to sing with them in the lounge area. They played & sang the US National anthem and other American favorites. They were so gracious to our students and had so many kind words for us since we were from Boston and this was immediately after Marathon Monday.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business