Chainbridge Hotel
Hotwire.com
Bryn Howel Hotel(Llangollen)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewschain bridgehorseshoe fallscanal sidesteam trainberwyn stationacross the riverbalcony overlookingstunning locationraging rivertow pathbar areariver deevisited this hotellovely walklamb shankan evening mealllangollen railway
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stumbled on this hotel on a bike ride along the Llangollen Canal. What a beautiful setting, we had a lovely light lunch and afternoon tea complete with warm scones, clotted cream and jam and the welsh cakes such as bara brith ... delightful. We are now planning to return and maybe stay a few nights as it is such a fantastic setting and just seemed like a lovely friendly atmosphere and to top it all off, the glass of dry white wine I had, an Italian Pinot Grigio was superb!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Many thanks for your review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your lunch, and the Pinot Grigio, when you visited the hotel yesterday. We're well positioned for a convenient pit stop for people walking or cycling along the Llangollen Canal, and being on the banks of the river and overlooking the Chain Bridge, it's a lovely setting for a relaxing drink or meal.

It's great to hear that you're now going to come and stay, and we look forward to welcoming you at that time.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We recently stayed in a room with a balcony overlooking the river, which I highly recommend. All of the staff were naturally helpful, relaxed and pleasant and that created a good atmosphere. We ate in the restaurant which was a fabulous setting - book a table by the window. Menu was good with a varied vegetarian selection which is a major plus. My wife and I had a starter and main each and shared a pudding. Starter and main were great however the pudding, although well presented was, I'm quite sure bought in and was a bit of a let down. That wont put me off eating in the restaurant, however next time I would/will definitely go for a home-made desert even if it's not my favourite. I would recommend this hotel and the dining room for couples in particular.

Room Tip: Balcony overlooking river
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thank you for such a generous and positive review of your recent stay here at The Chainbridge. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your time here so much, and that you found so many aspects of the hotel and your stay to be to your liking. Our staff certainly work incredibly hard to make guests welcome and our riverside restaurant does provide a fantastic backdrop from which to enjoy a meal. The vast majority of our food is homemade and freshly prepared, from scratch, here in our kitchen, however we do from time to time (owing to how busy the kitchen is) supplement this with items we are supplied by local companies, bakeries etc. We always endeavour to ensure that these items of the highest quality, so I'm sorry that the pudding was a disappointment. I'm sure next time you'll enjoy one of our many lovely homemade desserts, and we look forward to welcoming you back at that time.

Best regards

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have been coming to this hotel for years but recently with noticed some great new changes with the new owners. Some new ideas about the reception in the bar area's we can see the improvements and made in the bedrooms . Come to this hotel if you like fantastic views and walks along the canal don't come to this hotel if you don't like water because there's plenty of insects and spiders to annoy you. It's best to wake up early and enjoy the beautiful countryside and lots of walking and when you come back have a great meal in the restaurant don't expect too much night life because you are in the wilderness. You'll find the staff very helpful . I would certainly Return in the future especially when the hotel is fully modernised

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. It's great that after visiting the hotel for a number of years you've seen noticeable improvements since we took on the hotel last year. It's a truly unique spot, and with such wonderful views and surrounding countryside an ideal place to explore. We are certainly a place to come for rest and relaxation, as you say, and we look forward to your return at some stage in the future.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

A walk up the canal from Llangollen and we found a gem just off the towpath. Roastbeef and horseradish sandwiches with side salad and latte and the view over the river to the railway station, DMU and a steam locomotive, all in very comfortable hotel. Food very reasonably priced and good size portions. Staff extremely helpful and attentive. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Many thanks for your review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your lunch here at The Chainbridge, and that the view of the River Dee and across to the steam railway made for a memorable visit.

Thank you for recommending the hotel, and perhaps we'll see you again.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I know the Chainbridge of old. It is famous locally and was a favourite night time destination a long time ago. My wife worked there in the early part of the last decade and it had gone to pieces. It was neglected and living on its reputation. It now has new owners and has undergone a period of refurbishment. My evening there recently would indicate some return to the Chainbridge of old. Invited to a friend's wedding "do" I took the chance to re-visit this old haunt. Standards all round were satisfactory and the food, in particular, was substantial and tasty. The rooms seemed in far better order now and service friendly and efficient.
Some things, of course, never change and the location is stunning with the River Dee running to one side and the Llangollen canal virtually lapping the walls. There is a lot of competition in the area though and I would check prices carefully before making a decision although nowhere in the area can beat the location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank henryspets
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for your review. Since making significant changes to the hotel to bring it back to its former glory many people are returning to the hotel who haven't been here for years, and we're delighted to receive so many positive comments regarding the refurbishment, and people's satisfaction in seeing that this famous old hotel is once again being cared for.

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the wedding reception you attended, and in particular found the food to be of a high quality.

As you say, very few hotels or restaurants can match the location and views we're lucky enough to enjoy here at The Chainbridge, and that, together with improvements to our food, drinks, service and rooms, will, we hope, ensure our guests enjoy their time at the hotel.