“More concerned with renovation than hospitality!”
Review of Chainbridge Hotel

and 1 more site!
Chainbridge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I just got back from a disappointing weekend with my other half. He decided to surprise me with what should have been a lovely weekend away but turned into a bit of flop.

The room was clean if somewhat cramped. The sheets however looked like they had gotten stuck in the drier and were peppered with holes on my side of the bed. It looked to me as if the cleaner had tried to hide the holes under my pillow as I only discovered them once I got into bed. So that was problem number one.

Problem number two arrived when we tried to watch a little TV before bed. The old CRT in the cupboard over the vanity station looked like it should have been thrown a long time ago as the tube had quite clearly blown causing the colours to distort badly. It was also a little disappointing to only have two channels BBC1 and ITV3 an odd mix.

Problem number three was made evident when we went down for breakfast just after 09:30 on Saturday morning only to discover that breakfast finished at 9:30. If we had been told the times for breakfast I would have chalked this up to my own fault for sleeping in but e had not been told the times upon check in and I had to specifically ask on Saturday evening upon returning to the hotel where the receptionist only seemed interested in securing our booking for evening meal (something for which they charge extra).

The other small issues were that the mattress was prone to sliding from the bed. There was a nasty rusting crack in the sink and the floor boards all creaked badly so everyone in the hotel could hear what we were doing. Breakfast was so, so when we finally managed to make it, the waitress seemed disinterested and did not relay tables or restock the breakfast buffet. It might have been a plus that we missed it on Saturday and ate breakfast in the village.

Throughout all this the place was a building site with big renovations taking place in the rooms, bar and lounge area so there was sounds of DIY for the majority of the time.

I think the hotel needs to shut to undertake the renovations and really concentrate on making peoples stay a good one rather than focussing on the future. pay attention to the guests you have.

It looks like it will be very nice once the renovations are done and hopefully then they will have more time to focus on the guests.

Room Tip: If you are not a light sleeper then go for a room with a river view because it is beautiful! if you...
1  Thank hetty_lou
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

I'm disappointed to receive your review, and I'm sorry that there were aspects of your stay with us that you didn't enjoy.

Firstly, I would like to make clear that our guests and their comfort do take priority, always, and although we are renovating the hotel - to make it better for guests - we always strive to ensure the minimum disruption is caused. Most guests are very understanding to this, which we greatly appreciate. Our work on renovations stopped at 12.00pm on Friday, so I don't know what could have caused noise and disruption over the weekend, other than one tiler who was working in one of our new toilet facilities. No work to rooms was undertaken at the weekend, or the lounge or bar. Indeed, no work on the hotel ever occurs over the weekend.

I'm sorry that you missed breakfast, however we always allow 15 minutes for anybody who oversleeps, after which time we close breakfast as we need to re-set the restaurant etc and it's simply not practical to wait longer, especially as some guests choose to miss breakfast for an extra hour in bed. Our breakfast does usually satisfy our guests, as we use high quality local produce and generous portions to set people up for the day ahead.

Regarding any holes in your linen, which were under your pillow, I don't know why that would be - and I apologise. We outsoure our linen to a reputable and succesful company, so there should be no issue. I will look into this.

The TVs are on our 'to do' list. Currently, channels are very restricted due to an issue with the tranmission, that has so far baffled three different independent engineers. We are endeavouring to solve the issue, and all the TVs will be replaced, but new beds, mattresses, duvets, newly painted rooms, a new Reception, new bar etc, has taken priority, as we believe these aspects of the hotel are more important to enhancing guests' stays.

I hope that your time in Llangollen was enjoyed, and that the many things to do and see in the area made for a good weekend, and I appreciate, and will look into, some of the comments you raise in this review.

Regards

Reviewed February 21, 2013

What improvements! What efforts! and lovely people running the place. In my first review of this hotel, (last year) The new owners were just getting to grips with some of the many problems the property had. There is no doubt that the hotel is in a stunning location - its just it was in great need of TLC. We swung by the hotel again on our way back from staying elsewhere in Wales as we had enjoyed the situation very much and the lovely walk up the river. The improvements even to the outside seating area are clear and when the work is done it will be a sought after place to stay. Well done guys - keep in going!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Many thanks for your review - I'm delighted that our opinion, and review, is such much improved on last year, when we had only been here for a few short weeks. We agree with you that the location of our hotel is simply stunning, so by doing this work, renovating exterior and interior areas, bringing in real ales served in our new bar, improving the food, refurbishing the rooms and keeping the levels of service offered to our guests high, we hope to make the Chainbridge a better spot to visit for residents and non-residents alike.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed for one night on 16th February. We were already pleasantly surprised by how beautiful Llangollen was, but when we arrived a the hotel we were bowled over by the stunning river side location.

We were warmly greeted, and pleased with our balcony room. Drinks in the bar were a bit on the expensive side but there was a nice choice of bottled ales and we were told that once the refurbishment was fully completed, the bar would have a selection of cask ales.

My only gripe (and it's a small one), was that the window / door to the balcony could have done with a black out blind as the light did wake me up earlier than I wanted to.

Breakfast was excellent! Nice selection and perfectly cooked. We didn't need to eat again til the end of the day!

Location was ideal for us as we were due to go white water rafting the following day, which was just 5 mins drive away.

We can't wait to stay again.

2  Thank Bepnik
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thanks for posting such a great review of our hotel. It was a pleasure hosting you and your partner, and I'm thrilled to hear you'll be returning. We agree with you about our location, stunning - and you got lucky with the weather which makes a big difference. It's a great spot from which to explore, and the activities on the river have never been more popular. We will be having casks when the new bar is open, in about two weeks, which we'll be able to price better - as you'll see when you next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back, and thanks again for the review.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We spent two lovely days in the Chainbridge Hotel, our room was very spacious and had lovely views, two in fact over the river, it was newly decorated. The food was good too but the only problem the plates were not hot, but other than that it was a lovely weekend and somewhere where we would go again and be pleased to advise friends to stay there. It was lovely to see such a young couple putting their heart and soul into the making the hotel an experience that you enjoy and want to go back to. We wish you every success

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and have fantastic views
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your lovely review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you would return to The Chainbridge, as well as recommending it to your friends as a place to stay. I do apologise for the plates not being hot, I hope that it didn't detract from the food.

We look forward to seeing you at The Chainbridge again, and thank you for this kind review.

Seamus.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just been here with my son James,been meaning to call for ages.James the owner/manager was quick to notice us and remember me from when he was the manager at The George Third ,where he is very much missed.Work is very much in progress,but will be very special when completed..We are already speaking to our friends to arrange a night there so we can sit in the lovely dining and enjoy dinner.This hotel is really one to watch,well done James,see you soon!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Hello

Many thanks for your kind and encouraging words! It was lovely to see you, and meet James, and I'm delighted that you're planning a return visit in the not too distant future. As you say, there's a lot of work going on at the moment, all of which will considerably improve the hotel and make The Chainbridge a better place to visit for a drink, lunch or an overnight stay.

I look forward to seeing you again soon, and thank you visiting, and for posting this review.

Best,
Seamus / James!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were here last June and the new owners have lived up to their word. The mattress felt new as did all the bedding. Our room was really roomy (No. 19) and fit our travel cot easily. The other noticeable improvement was the food. Both breakfast and dinner were really good. Can't wait to come back and see the next lot of changes these owners have made!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Many thanks for your review. I'm delighted that you have seen improvements since your last visit to The Chainbridge, and that the additions we've made since your last stay made for a more enjoyable trip away.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the food - this week we have two new chefs starting to further improve our menus and give people even more choice of excellent, local, fresh food.

We do hope that you'll be back at some point in the future - and that you'll again see further improvements to the hotel.

Best regards

Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I married here December 2010, it was the best day of my life, we had a great time, we go back every anniversary and have a lovely time here, the staff are friendly and the views of the water from the bedrooms and bar and restaurant are amazing. We went back in December 2012 and all the rooms have been done up, we look forward to going again back later In the year and see all the new changes.

Rebecca & Karl

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chainbridge1, Owner at Chainbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Many thanks for your great review - it's lovely to hear that The Chainbridge holds such special memories for you, and that you continue to enjoy your stays here.

I'm glad that the improvements made to the hotel over the last few months are pleasing and that you continue to receive a warm welcome and a high level of service all round.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Seamus,