“Gem of hotel”
Review of Bryn Howel Hotel

Bryn Howel Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Llangollen
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Had lunch here a few months ago and were impressed, so when we had to return to North Wales on personal business this month we decided to book a 3 day stay.
We were not disappointed. The staff were, without exceptional, friendly and helpfull, the accommodation clean and warm, and the food excellent. We can particularly recommend the 3 course lunch in the garden restaurant, which, at under £13 is great value.
BrynnHwel was originally built n the 1850's as a family home and much of the original fixtures and fittings remain. It has been extended over the years. It is in a beautiful setting in its own extensive grounds, with the Llangollen canal on its perimeter. It s a few minutes from Llangollen and is easily reached from the Midlands and North West England.
We understand the current owners only bought the hotel just over a year ago. We wish them well and hope that their hard work and investment pays off. It certainly deserves to.

Room Tip: We found the standard room large and comfortable with a modern bathroom.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bryn-Howel-Hotel, Owner at Bryn Howel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Dear Philip1927

It is extremely satisfying as an owner manager to read such a review as yours, although all the team take pleasure in knowing that their hard work has been rewarded by a fabulous review, such reviews send a clear message to all our future guests that Bryn Howel Hotel tries very hard to serve each and every customer with the same high standards.
It’s a joy and a pleasure to have served you at Bryn Howel Hotel,
Please visit again soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We booked this hotel a few days before we went through late rooms and paid £49.00 per night, which is half price. So don't feel as if we can complain too much, but, we would like to say that the staff are brilliant, the location of the hotel beautiful, we ate in the bar and we can only say that it was beautiful and well priced, hats off to the chef. I am not sure if the room we had was for the reduced price, but feel that if the rooms on the second floor that we had are all the same, they could do with some love and attention. Two of the lights in the room were not working, which was difficult at night, the radiator only heated up half way up and was gurgling all night, if my husband had his tools with him he would have bled it for them. The carpet was shredding and not fitted properly. The bathroom had so many different tiles on the wall and needed updating. Our stay was beautiful and I do hate to knock the room as I would advise our friends to go there, but our room definitely needed some updating and would advise people to ask which rooms they are having before booking

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor, which wasn't the best.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kieyan
Bryn-Howel-Hotel, Owner at Bryn Howel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Mr and Mrs kieyan

I am pleased you found your stay at Bryn Howel Hotel Beautiful and that you found my staff brilliant. Chef will be delighted to read your comments of his food, thank you very much indeed.
Your room was fitted with new carpet this in 2013 however you are right that is needs attention as it seems to be catching at the door, I shall have this repaired right away. The light bulbs have been replaced and the radiator repaired, these where all straight forward however you are right regarding the bathroom which is in need of replacing altogether.
I am continuing to replace and update all bathrooms this year together with the remainder of the bedrooms. We have completed an enormous amount of refurbishment during 2012 / 2013 from the 7 Acers of gardens and grounds, all the public areas, the lounge bar has seen a total refurbishment, the Glyndwr bar and function suite have had a total make over, all the first floor bedrooms and all but 4 of the second floor, the third floor is underway, Back of house has seen much improvements, the outer building has undergone a complete makeover, and not forgetting the Valley Room and Cedar Tree Restaurant which have been updated to a very high standard indeed, of course there is much to do and to be honest I am enjoying the process very much, if a little too much at times.
Please do continue to offer your feedback, with this information I can target areas straight away. My team should have notice the light bulbs and pointed out the carpet as soon as it happened and I would like to apologise to you both for this, however I am delighted that you did not let this spoil your visit to Bryn Howel Hotel.

All my very best to You and Your Family

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed over on the evening of the 4th jan.
Got to say very impressed, nice drive up to the hotel and on first sight the hotel looks impressive.
Checked in fine, reception was very helpful and arranged changing our room so we could get wifi.
Evening meal was spot on with staff very attentive, glasses never empty and plates cleared away etc and no long waits.
Had one of the best nights sleep ever and had one of the best breakfasts in some time, no lunch today!!!
Thanks again and would recommend, will be looking to book at the beginning of feb with a party of ten so will be in touch soon. Thanks.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear bambles
Thank you kindly for your fabulous review of Bryn Howel Hotel, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and will be returning with friends for a party.
James will be delighted to read your feedback on his cooking at breakfast, and I will also give him a well done "again" as he his putting in allot of effort to ensure the standards are maintained.
Im am very delighted that you enjoyed the Cedar Tree restaurant and your room.

Looking forward to your return visit.

All my veru best to you and your Family

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We originally booked superior rooms, but as we had dogs with us needed to change our booking to the standard rooms. These were perfectly fine - Spacious with double beds being plenty wide enough for my very tall husband who often struggles in standard size double beds. The setting of the hotel is glorious - fantastic views and very close to Llangollen and some very good walks. If I wanted to be picky I would have liked flannels as well as hand and bath towels and also body lotion included in the toiletries and I would have been happier if there had been the option of wifi in our rooms. The hairdryers were those annoying ones that require you to keep pressing the button otherwise they cut out. However I am giving the hotel 5 stars because of the fantastic setting with lovely views from our rooms as well as the very helpful and friendly staff who were welcoming to us and our dogs and who helped us to ensure a large family group meal with 15 people went very smoothly. We hired a private room - the oak room - for this, which only cost £50 extra and was gorgeous. The breakfast was very good. I imagine the superior rooms are lovely and I completely understand that the hotel wants to keep those rooms dog free. All around an easy comfortable stay in a comfortable hotel in a fantastic hotel. Really friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank janeadd

Dear janeadd

What a fabulous start to our week, to read your amazing review of Bryn Howel Hotel, Thank You Kindly from everyone.
December has been a fabulous month everyone was in the Xmas Spirit and party mood,
not one complaint about noise from the Xmas Party Nights,
I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your meal, chef is extremely pleased with the feedback from our guests during the Xmas Period, perhaps the most busiest month in many years,
thanks to the whole team effort .

I shall look forward to your next visit to Bryn Howel Hotel

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We booked for the 3rd year this year at the Bryn Howell for our boxing day lunch. The staff are very friendly if lacking in a little expertise. The head waiter is a real asset and a warmth of welcome experienced on entering the restaurant with nothing to much trouble. The food is well cooked and nicely presented, however the small dinner plate for main course detracts and would present so much better if a larger plate was used. All 3 courses were enjoyable and offer very good value for money. Coffee is extra and I would have expected either a pot or a cafetiere and maybe a mince pie ( in keeping with the season which we where offered last year), served and not just a cup. Overall a very pleasant experience, just a few minor points which stopped it scoring higher.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jackie S
Thank you from the whole team for your kind review of Boxing Day Lunch. I must offer you my personal apologies for the lack of Mince pies this was an oversight, we are still knee deep in them,
Perhaps my staff where a little forgetful towards the middle of service, I can assure you this will not happen next year, I will ensure we have more stock of cafetiere’s for next year. I shall also investigate why food was served on small plates, we have stock of over 200 large plates so this should not have happened.
The team worked really well indeed although you are right that is a shame everything was not perfect for you this year, I hope sincerely that this will not stop you from coming next year, if not before.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Lovely hotel, superb location, great for walking along canal to viaduct, well worth seeing, excellent dining room and food very well presented and of a high quality. Our room was excellent be careful the hot taps really are very hot . Really enjoyed both our stays here and looking forward to the next.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Bryn-Howel-Hotel, Owner at Bryn Howel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear melvinolotus

Everyone at Bryn Howel Hotel would like to say a Big Thank you for your fabulous review, The whole team work very hard to ensure they meet our guests needs, although there is always room for improvement. We are delighted with the award winning Cedar Tree Restaurants New Menu all our guests have been very complimentary of the quality of the food and service.

I shall look forward to meeting you both on your next visit.

E.J. Canavan

Reviewed December 20, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Bryn-Howel-Hotel, Owner at Bryn Howel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangollen
White Waters Country Hotel
#1 of 10 in Llangollen
The Hand at Llanarmon
The Hand at Llanarmon
#2 of 2 in Llanarmon DC

Been to Bryn Howel Hotel? Share your experiences!