“A rare hidden gem !”

Sychnant Pass Country House
Ranked #4 of 22 Conwy B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Having finally got a day off work we headed off quite locally for a night away with the children. I had wanted a complete change of scene and a bit of luxury, not to mention not having to cook and wash up!! Having been greeted with a lovley welcome we were shown our room and then having unpacked we went for a fantastic swim! The children even ate all their dinner and they were made to feel really welcome as well ! This Hotel really is a hidden gem and I am looking forward to a night without the children when we can go back and really relax! !

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank suzanne42wales

Reviewed July 14, 2009

While it was a few months ago that I stayed at Sychnant Pass I thought in light of the bad experience suffered by a previous guest I'd put my comments across. As a country house Sychnant Pass comes over as a favourite elderly aunt, a little bit jaded around the edges perhaps but really warm, welcoming and someone you look forward to seeing. We too had a room without a shower, but we knew that when we booked. It actually made a really pleasant change to have no alternative but to take a bath. Usually, I'm far too busy thinking about time and how much quicker a shower is, but taking a bath is a much more relaxed and chilled affair and set the scene for a really pleasant stay.
I'd also say that you don't have to like animals to stay at Sychnant Pass but it helps. As a dog lover, I had no issue with the very friendly little chihuahua which was there when we stayed, which was quite a timid little thing but very friendly too. Also the food was really good, more choice would have been nice but there was plenty there to keep me and my food loving husband happy.
The pool was possibly the best thing about the hotel. The changing rooms were superb and as the pool itself is fantastic. As it's only accessed by guests we had it to ourselves most of the time, which was an added bonus.
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sychnant Pass - having been recommended to stay by a friend. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, the lack of stuffiness and best of all the fantastic location - ideal for walks as well as close enough to drive to the town of Conwy in about 5 mins. Perhaps not the same as a 5* hotel in a city but we wanted quiet down time in which to just relax and enjoy each other's company and that's exactly what we got.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jellybellynorthwales
Reviewed July 11, 2009

My partner and I stayed at Sychnant Pass for two nights dinner bed and breakfast.
We were welcomed by the managers Ailsa and Dan (who is also the chef) and were made to feel at home straight away.
Our bags were carried for us to our rooms and we had plenty of time to use the impressive indoor pool before dinner.
Our 5 course meal was even better than expected and we even managed cheese and biscuits in the lounge area afterwards.
All the staff were very pleasant and nothing was too much trouble, we both look forward to returning soon.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank welshchick75
Reviewed June 25, 2009

we stayed in sychnant house and we were expecting a wonderful country house hotel, all we got was a tired old grubby house, and two dogs running around with poo all round the gardens and even in the diningroom under the curtains, After dinner one night we retired to the lounge for coffee crackers and cheese, after laying my plate with the crackers on the coffee table went to get my coffee, turn around and the dog was eating off my plate, that turned me off crackers now for life. I found that the money we spent on our suite should have had a shower and the sealent around the bath was dirty and badly needs replacing, floor covering was badly fitted and it also needs replacing. When you stay in a suite anywhere else you get a king size bed, or a superking we got a double,and we are use to a superking. The balcony was covered in cigerette buts from previous guests and it needed sweeping. The gardens badly needs an overhaul, the pool area was clean and relaxing and well equipped. The dinner was very good but lacked choice in 3 nights we got the same menu twice. Breakfast was a joke had a better choice years ago in b&b, service was 2 star at best, I must say the house is in a beautiful location and the walks were fantastic, I think the oweners have run away with themselves with the price as we have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels for less. We would have left after the 1st night, but our friends recommended it and were coming to stay for the next 2 nights and nowhere else locally had any room. We had travelled from Ireland and would not be recommending this to anyone we know here, dont get me wrong, the price wasnt the problem it was the run down shabby look of the place , it badly badly needs an upgrade and some TLC soon ,if its to stay open in the future

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marthavineyard
Bresychnant, Owner at Sychnant Pass Country House, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2009

I have neither replied nor ever asked anyone to put a review on for us but regular customers who told us about your review have encouraged us to reply so here goes. There is absolutely no excuse for the things that happened on you visit and I want to apologise unreservedly for your disastrous stay at Sychnant. When your friends made the booking I told the gentleman with whom I had a long and pleasant conversation that we wouldn’t be at Sychnant that weekend as we have another country house, close by that we were running. Not only that I asked him to bring all of you over for complimentary afternoon tea as I am Irish as well and looked forward to meeting you. And therefore when things had gone so wrong I can’t understand why you didn’t get in touch with me. I’m not saying there is any excuse for what happen but at least I could have done something about it. My management staff had rescued a dog and I had no ideas that he was wandering the house and causing the problems he clearly has. I am embarrassed and mortified by your review. Staff are always an issue in this business but when you employ people with the right qualifications you expect the job to be done properly. Sychnant Pass has been my home for many years…………not only that we got married there and I am passionate about it. I am heart broken by your review but I also know how I would feel if I had a similar experience………….I can’t tell you how sorry I am.

Can I please say something in our defence without giving offence to you? When you have big country house you are always refurbishing it. It’s like the Forth Road Bridge; you get to one end and start all over. We have some fabulous suites and many, many happy customers. The suite you were in is due to be refurbished this winter; we refurbish two rooms every year. All our beds are king-size and most are super king or emperor. There is no excuse for cigarette butts or dirty sealant, but we try to keep the quality of our furnishings, towels and bedding to the highest standard. The menu should have been change nightly as it is at our other property, clearly this didn’t happen and breakfast should have been a delightful experience as it was when we were there. I want to assure you and anyone else who reads this that this will be the case again. I also want to explain our circumstances. My husband’s father died three years ago, his home had never been out of the family and Graham is an only child and wanted to keep the house. The only way we could keep it was to run it as a country house. We both work long hours in a job we love trying to make our customers as welcome as possible and to surpass their expectations, clearly that was not the case this time. I am going to write directly to your friends as well to offer my sincere apologies and to let them and you know that new management staff will be starting work at Sychnant on 27th of July. One last thing I would like to say is that while I wish you had contacted me direct when you were staying at Sychnant, I am grateful to you for letting me know what was happening behind my back.
With kind regards and sincere apologies.

Reviewed June 24, 2009

You would expect a lavish country house at this price and advertisment, but all you get is a tired old house with a small leisure centre.We never met Bre or Graham the chef. The bath room had no shower so we used the leisure centre to shower which was not what we liked.On the plus side the food was good but breakfast was basic.Overall the place is overpriced for what you get. We have stayed in country homes in Ireland that were very lavish but cost less so you can understand our disappointment.The whole place needs an upplift to justify the price.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank sixtysteps
Reviewed April 5, 2009

A real treat and not far from home. Warm welcome from Manager Ailsa nothing too much trouble throughout out stay. Homely hotel lots of pictures and felt very like sitting at home. We stayed in the Santuary and it was so, no doors banging in the middle of the night, no drunken yobs just peaceful Welsh countryside. Our own private terrace and hot tub, heaven with a class of wine. Food lovely and the cheeseboard, coffee and mints after dinner a lovely idea. Swimming pool and Sauna also wonderful, nice big towels and lots of them, even hairspray and straighteners for the girls. Dogs welcome although we left ours at home, resident cats but sadly never met them. Rooms named after Cats the musical and the entire hotel is very cosy. Countryside is wonderful with wild ponies and the usual sheep. Well worth a visit for a special occasion, we will return and try a different suite next time.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MariaNorthWales
Reviewed September 5, 2008

My husband and I visited Sychnant Pass House for just one night recently; we were looking for a 24-hour treat for a special celebration, and after doing a fair bit of internet research into several places we were seduced by the descriptions and pictures of the house, the grounds, the views, the food, the facilities, the resident pets and most especially by the warm welcome, enthusiastically promoted everywhere we looked – ‘The house is run very much as a home which takes guests’, boasts its own website, with the added mention that the owners won’t tolerate having the place called a hotel because they don’t view it as such. Indeed, the moment you enter you are met with informal signage pressing the point in both public and private areas, as well as assorted family memorabilia, and chatty printed assurances that there’s always somebody around to sort out problems big or small, or simply to have a chat with.

So far, so cosy. And for the sake of fairness I’ll deal with the plusses first. The house – undoubtedly beautiful, lovingly cared for and tastefully decorated and furnished. The views – to die for. The room, or rather suite – large, comfortable, nicely done and equipped with (almost) everything the website told us it would be equipped with. The food – perfectly adequate, verging at times on the truly tasty; the help-yourself cheeseboard in the sitting room at the end of the meal was a particularly nice touch. We loved the pool and sauna and could happily have adopted the marvellous changing rooms (ladies’ and gents’) and taken them home with us. The robes and slippers and the endless supply of huge (huzzah!) soft fluffy towels – white for your room, blue for the pool –were a very welcome change from the postage-stamp sized efforts with which one is often challenged with drying oneself in other establishments. The hot tub on our own private terrace was a joy and a delight, and the fridge in our room most helpful for chilling the bottle of bubbly we’d brought along to drink in it.

So just what was the problem? It wasn’t the group of tradesmen who congregated in the sitting room as we were drinking tea there just after our arrival, chatting loudly about whatever job they were there to do - and were in fact there doing, very conspicuously, throughout our brief stay. It wasn’t the lack of people, both staff and guests (we only saw four others), which started off as welcome peace and quiet but turned into something rather eerie. It wasn’t the fact that our bathroom had a very fetching Edwardian-stylee slipper bath, but no shower or mixer attachment for the taps, so that hair-washing had to be done downstairs in the leisure suite’s changing rooms. It wasn’t the cafetiere in our room thoughtfully provided to empty the sachets of instant Nescafe into (why?), or the little plastic tubs of plastic milk to accompany said instant coffee (why? Why?? There was a fridge in the room – how difficult would a jug of fresh milk have been?). It wasn’t the smiley young waitress with poor English who tried to clear away our plates before we’d finished our starter, or the horrid jarring Europoppy ‘background music’ in the almost-empty dining room, or the cold coffee left in the sitting room for us to help ourselves to. It wasn’t the view from every table in the tasetefully-decorated breakfast area, through glazed doors to a large dismal Perspex-roofed storage area beyond (a one-word suggestion: screen?). None of these things was enough to spoil our stay, either individually or jointly. There was something else, something missing, and we couldn’t put our finger on what.

Until we were taking our leave, and the cheery chap who relieved us of our money casually let slip that the family now run another establishment half-an-hour away and have upped sticks to do so. So the place is now run by an efficient but clearly overworked and largely invisible manager, and all the ‘welcome to our home’ signage is now redundant. The much-vaunted Graham is now cheffing elsewhere and Bre’s famous hospitality has been transferred accordingly - suddenly everything fell into place, and the slightly odd feel of our stay made sense. The home was no longer a home; there was no resident family or pets or belongings, and what we’d been feeling was a definite case of the Banquo’s ghosts.

Sychnant Pass House is still a lovely place, and very popular for weddings by all accounts. However, our feeling is that it is suffering from a severe identity crisis, which the owners urgently need to address before standards slip, regular guests start staying away and it turns into purely a wedding venue. I’d make a start by removing all the references to ‘our home’ on advertising and signage, and taking a close look at some of the little details that can either enhance or ruin a stay (plastic tea and coffee provided in bedrooms is plastic tea and coffee, however you try to dress it up with cafetieres and china teapots and suchlike).

And we never did find the complementary decanter of sherry in our room mentioned on several websites. Pity – we’d been looking forward to it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank authorboot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
Castle Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#19 of 60 in Llandudno
Gwynfryn Bed and Breakfast
Bryn Derwen Guest House

Been to Sychnant Pass Country House? Share your experiences!