“Totally Content”

Ranked #4 of 21 Conwy B&B and Inns
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Totally Content”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We would not have come here four times had we been anything other than totally satisfied. The hosts offer the best welcome we have ever received in a country house and this is just one of the things that make the place so special to us. It is in an ideal location for anyone who wants to leave their car and walk in the hills above Conway. There is a pool and sauna after all the exertion and excellent food and a well-thought out wine list. If we fancy a day's touring by car, it is convenient for Bodnant, Great Orme and Anglesey. We think Sychnant Pass House offers us very good value and great contentment - we will return! Note that this place bills itself as a Country House, not as a stereotypical hotel.

Room Tip: Best views from rooms at front of house e.g. Gwalchmai Double showers and jacuzzi bath and balcony...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We went for a 2 night break away location was lovely,,, hotel really needed updating! Didn't justify the £185 a night billing. We had a private hot tub on our balcony which got turned off at midnight with out any notification as we had been out for the day came back had a few drinks an wanted to relax in hot tub didn't get much time to!!! We also tried to relax in the double spa bath but couldn't as plug didn't work an the water was draining,,, over all could do with a revamp don't mind paying the price but just expected a lot better .... Left disappointed!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha P
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights whilst on a course nearby for work and wanted a bit of luxury after a hard day, instead of using the local youth hostel! I found the hotel very comfortable with all the facilities needed. My room (4) was nice and big, with a little sitting room which I found really useful for work. It could probably do with a bit of updating if it were to warrant the term 'luxury', though - a lot of the furnishings seemed to be done on rather a budget. The lounge was lovely, with comfy sofas and lovely antiques which really did add to the country house atmosphere.
Breakfast was the usual British fayre and was plentiful and well cooked. I stayed for dinner one evening and that was lovely although a little expensive, but you're paying for the fact that this is billed more as a private country retreat than a hotel.
The best thing about this place is Hugh who is a very genial host who makes you feel like a guest in the true sense of the word. Both Hugh and Diane were really helpful with a couple of work-related tasks.
I used the pool and the sauna which were fine and I had them all to myself, and the changing facilities were large, clean and well-equipped.
The setting and grounds are beautiful as you would expect in Snowdonia!
My only gripe is the gate - it's to be kept shut but this gives an unwelcoming air and when I first arrived I wasn't sure I was at the right place and it seemed rather too private and closed. You also have to wobble your way over the cattle grid to open and close it, unless you can be bothered to go all the way round and through the pedestrian entrance. Maybe an investment in an electronic system would help.
All in all I would certainly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank_Tiger31
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Agree with Paul B of Manchester.
£185!!!!! ... same price as a suite at the Park Plaza
Peeling paint, poor finish to all paintwork
Loud music from the kitchen
Arrived to find the room hot and stuffy.
Although we knew there was no shower (only a bath) there was not even a hand held shower attachment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SBCC59
HNRP, Owner at Sychnant Pass Country House, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thanks for your review. We are really sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay here.
Staffordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in the Ebenezer Room; this room is ideal for people with walking difficulties as it is on the ground floor and close to the lounge, dining room and swimming pool and the patio doors open out to the meadow where you can enjoy seeing the sheep and lambs grazing We were lucky to see the wild horses on the hills too. Food was delicious and although it is stated that the evening meal is from 7.00 o'clock actual dining was much later. It is well worth a ride up the Pass to Penmenmawr, some lovely scenery on route. Enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: Two ground floor rooms are Aberystwyth and Ebenezer. All rooms seemed really quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
So glad you enjoyed your stay. As all our food is freshly prepared in the kitchen by our chef, it does take a little longer to prepare and cook. Our guests usually find it's well worth the short wait.
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed here whilst on business in North Wales having searched via the laterooms.com website. Although the hotel seems more aimed to holiday makers, weddings etc it is a wonderful place to stay if you are away on business - so very different from the many soulless hotels I have had the misfortune to stay at.
Hugh rang me to check I was on my way and to see if I wanted to have dinner that night. On arriving at the hotel I was treated as a loyal returning guest (as opposed to a first-time visitor) and was given a comprehensive review of all the facilities including the gym, pool etc. Hugh even put the sauna on for me especially. The outdoor hot tub was wonderful - sitting in 40 degree water watching the new lambs grazing in the next field was a very special experience.
At dinner I came down to the lounge area and offered drinks whilst I chose my meal and after a short delay was taken to my table. Whilst all the other guests I am guessing were retired they were all very pleasant and greeted me politely.
The food was simply delicious. I had goats cheese salad, roast rump of lamb and creme brulee all of which were cooked to order.
My room had a lovely four-posted bed but retained a modern feel. I was even able to access the WiFi in my bedroom as I was close to the lounge.
Breakfast was a feast - a choice of continental and then hot food cooked to order.

Both Hugh and Diane were warm and genuine in their welcome and hospitality. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a personalised stay in a beautiful area.

Room Tip: Room 1 (Aberystwyth) has both a four-poster bed and is close enough to reception to get access to th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review. We are so glad you enjoyed all the facilities here. We do take your point about it seeming to be more for the leisure trade, but we do have quite a few business people who come here regularly and enjoy the personal touch we are able to give them. We look forward to seeing you again when you are next in the area.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Can't say for the hefty price of £135.00 that this hotel was good value for money..... Shown to room 8 & I'd wished I'd booked in to the local Travel Lodge,as soon as the door was opened there was evident marks on the wall-paper,entering the room & the marks were joined by heavy stains as well as a heavily stained fabric lamp-shade as well as a hole in the floor board between the bed & radiator......
The bath-room looked like something out of Rouge Traders with mouldy sealent pealing away from the corner bath as well as cracked & missing grouting around the bath tiles but to top it off was the exposed electric earth wire behind the toilet......
I wouldn't expect to find 1 of these faults for the price of the room let alone all of them.....
A guided walk was enough to know it was a mistake especially the indoor pool with mould & filth collecting in the corners of the steps in,fancy a dip? no thanks I don't want to be off work for the next week with an infection!!
Next time I'll save my money & book at the Travel Lodge!!!!
It may boast it was in the "Good Hotel Guide 2011" but what a difference 2 years can make.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Indian P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
Castle Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#17 of 59 in Llandudno
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,150 reviews
Bryn Derwen Guest House

Been to Sychnant Pass Country House? Share your experiences!