“Never Again!!!”

Ranked #5 of 22 Conwy B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Never Again!!!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Can't say for the hefty price of £135.00 that this hotel was good value for money..... Shown to room 8 & I'd wished I'd booked in to the local Travel Lodge,as soon as the door was opened there was evident marks on the wall-paper,entering the room & the marks were joined by heavy stains as well as a heavily stained fabric lamp-shade as well as a hole in the floor board between the bed & radiator......
The bath-room looked like something out of Rouge Traders with mouldy sealent pealing away from the corner bath as well as cracked & missing grouting around the bath tiles but to top it off was the exposed electric earth wire behind the toilet......
I wouldn't expect to find 1 of these faults for the price of the room let alone all of them.....
A guided walk was enough to know it was a mistake especially the indoor pool with mould & filth collecting in the corners of the steps in,fancy a dip? no thanks I don't want to be off work for the next week with an infection!!
Next time I'll save my money & book at the Travel Lodge!!!!
It may boast it was in the "Good Hotel Guide 2011" but what a difference 2 years can make.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Indian P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Wolverh
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Had a lovely weekend the hot tub is the high light. The pool needs a lot of tlc with mould growing around the doors etc and for the cost of the rooms I would expect these things to have been done. Hugh says there is no reception but I do feel when guests are checking out he should be there. Myself and another guest waited half an hour to pay. Not really acceptable.the evening meal was delicious no complaints there. All in all very nice but for £165 per night a little more attention to detail may be needed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HNRP, Owner at Sychnant Pass Country House, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment.

I am sorry you had to wait 30 minutes to check out. Our chef was on his honeymoon that weekend and our relief chef was unavailable. Consequently, I was busy in the kitchen cooking breakfast. This isn't a situation that has arisen before and I am nearly always in the office ready for checkouts.whenever required.
Essex
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Once again we had a super time at Sychnant Pass Country House. It has a warm family atmosphere and we instantly felt relaxed. The food was outstanding (the goats cheese and beetroot starter is a master stroke and the sticky toffee pudding to die for). Hugh was an impeccable host as always and was particularly good at helping us select suitable food for the children and serving sauces on the side for them etc. The room (no 5) was perfect for a family with a breathtaking view from all windows. We all enjoyed the pool and hot tub immensely, it was great to sit in the cool fresh air looking up at the hills and the wild horses but be cosy in the warm water. The breakfast menu is good too, with some imaginative dishes along with traditional full welsh.
We had a smashing time and look forward to returning again with the extended family.

• Stayed April 2013
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband, three children and I have just returned home following an absolutely fantastic weekend staying at Sychnant Pass House!
All three rooms we stayed in were excellent, very luxurious, comfortable and clean with all the facilities you would need. Our room even had a private hot tub in the outside decked area which was very relaxing.
We had evening meals both nights which were excellent - thank you to the chef. Wine excellent choice. A special request for a vegetarian dish for two of the children was no problem and thoroughly enjoyed. The waitresses were more than helpful. Breakfast was also top class.
The lounge is very comfortable and welcoming with the large open fire. The swimming pool and outside hot tub again was thoroughly enjoyed especially by the children - well equipped with towels, showers and toiletries.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel - another plus was the beautiful surrounding area, lovely walks, villages, towns, historical attractions and indoor and outdoor activities.
Finally I would like to say Hugh is a excellent host making everyone feel very welcome!! We hope to stay again.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the room with the hot tub although all rooms we used were lovely. No noise noted i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 40ColleenM
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My partner booked for us to stay over for a one night's stay during the week and I was excited by this as being local I had always driven past and quite fancied staying over.

Firstly on our arrival we were greeted by the owner Hugh who was very pleasant and showed us the pool and sauna facilities and then to our room. The room was on the ground floor with a small terrace that had a table and chairs outside of which I imagine would be pleasant during the summer months however a little cold for us to sit out in March.
The room was perfectly adequate with two single beds alongside each other and a separate bathroom, coffee and tea making facilities and some robes for the sauna and pool, the only thing I would say is that the room did appear a little tired in places and could have done with a little TLC to bring it up to spec, the carpet was ripped and also the bathroom could have been cleaner as there was some cob webs on the fan and in the corners but this did not bother us too much as we were only staying the one night.

After our walk into Conwy we returned to sample the pool and sauna/outside Jacuzzi which was very enjoyable. The pool isn’t huge but big enough for a dip and the sauna was nice and hot, we then went outside to sit in the Jacuzzi which was pleasant, again the only gripe would be we couldn’t help feeling a little TLC in the pool area wouldn’t go a miss as it did seem a little ‘un tidy’ but again this did not affect us enjoying the experience.

After our swim and sauna we got ready for our 5 course meal which I was immensely looking forward to, we opted for a glass of champagne in the lounge before dinner which was a nice touch.
We were shown to our table and then greeted by the waitress of which I must say was not that informative when it came to asking about wine or the dishes, either she was shy or her English was not that great.
The starters came which were duck and pickle for myself and cured ham with melon for my partner and both were very nice, a sorbet then followed within two minutes and then our mains three minutes after that (which I felt was far too quickly) for our mains I ordered a steak to be cooked medium rare with peppercorn sauce and my partner had the chicken in a tomato sauce, when the steak arrived it was cooked well however it was only warm and thus had to be sent back, I was then given a hot dish which I enjoyed. My partners chicken was a little overcooked but nice never the less, we were then served our desert which was exceptional I must say. The whole five courses took us under one hour and I did feel the service was rushed, this maybe because it was very quiet? there was only us and another 4 people eating and I cant help but think the chef and waitress wanted to finish service so that they could go home as all the way through dinner we felt as if the waitress was ‘hovering’ over us constantly wanting to clear our plates for the next course! A shame as we were there to dine for the evening and enjoy the experience and just felt rushed!

Please don’t get me wrong I eat out in lots of great places and the food here was of a good standard and if the attention to detail was there with the service then we would have been very satisfied, this is a county house and is a little remote so therefore you are there for the evening so want to take your time with things.

We vacated to bed around 10.30 and a decent nights sleep, the breakfast is very nice and I must stress the owner goes out of his way to make you feel welcome, I just cant help feeling if he was serving us at dinner all would have been ok, the fact the chef was left to his own devices with a waitress that didn’t seem experienced was a tad disappointing.

I did not bring this to the owner’s attention as I did not want a fuss. I think maybe due to the fact it was a weekday evening and they were quiet this may have been a reason for this? We did enjoy our stay however some little ‘fine tweaking’ and TLC to the place would make it all that better!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HNRP, Owner at Sychnant Pass Country House, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you for your review though I wish you'd mentioned these things to me at the time. As you know, I'm around throughout the evenings looking after the drink and wine orders. I'm therefore in and out of the restaurant and more than happy to address issues as and when they arise.

You write that the pool area was a little untidy - that's because we were redecorating it at the time of your visit! It's now finished and looking a lot better, so hopefully you'll see a huge improvement next time.
Shifnal
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had a wonderful stay and can't wait to visit again. Hugh, the owner is very welcoming and affable, and made us very welcome. The atmosphere is unpretentious and warm. Pool is fantastic, great choice at breakfast, lovely grounds, and the real bonus is that it is dog friendly. Can't recommend it enough. Thank you for such a pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Our second visit to this superb hotel and i have to say it was every bit as good as the first the welcome is warm and very informal Hugh is a master at putting guests at ease

On both occasions we have stayed in the Cym Rhonda suite this huge suite with its twin settees massive bed and joyous bathroom is a pleasure to behold

We took pre dinner drinks in the lounge before enjoying a culinary treat 5 courses from an excellent and varied menu with a well stocked and not over expensive wine list you cannot fail to enjoy the evening

Breakfast is equally as good i enjoyed a full cooked Welsh but was sorely tempted by the Kippers maybe next time

There is an excellant pool and Sauna and an outside Spa which commands great views of the hills

All in all a great break and one we will no doubt repeat many times in years to come

Room Tip: All the rooms have character
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnMosinski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
Castle Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#18 of 60 in Llandudno
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
Bryn Derwen Guest House

Been to Sychnant Pass Country House? Share your experiences!