“Our return trip to this beautiful property inspires us to return AGAIN soon!”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Conwy
mainlinemadelyn
“Our return trip to this beautiful property inspires us to return AGAIN soon!”
Reviewed December 21, 2010

This is a beautiful property in our favorite European town. The Castle Hotel is an historic hotel with wonderful and comfortable rooms and charm exhudes throughout the halls, restaurant and pub. The family owners are on site daily and really tend to every guest and his or her wishes. We visited in August 2010 and returned in December to Conwy for the sole purpose of staying at the Castle Hotel!! And, we are planning to return!! We enjoyed a perfect room (a premium double) in a perfect hotel with absolutely outstanding food, in a perfect town with a lovely high street leading to the waters' edge, with holiday lights sparkling, all under the shadow of the impressive Conwy Castle. If this all sounds magical, it's because it was!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mainlinemadelyn
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind comments. Always a pleasure and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Caerphilly
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I have stayed here many times over the last few years and twice in the last month. It is very nicely located in the centre of lovely Conwy and opposite Plas Mawr, an Elizabethan house - views of the Castle from the back bedrooms. The hotel is itself a very attractive red tiled building with lots of character. As something of an experienced visitor I am no longer confused by the reception arrangements but on both my recent visits I have helped people I have seen waiting (and ignored by staff) at the restaurant reception when trying to check in. The restaurant is good which is perhaps why it has such prominence but visitors are obviously confused. The core staff here are good but their support team are a bit casual I feel and there is a tendency to ignore people - one night, as I walked towards the bar the 2 staff talking there scattered and left me waiting a good few minutes even though it was surely clear I wanted to buy a drink!
Anyway, the rooms are very nice indeed, all different and often very stylish (noisier out the front) and the food is excellent and if you persist the staff are actually very nice.
Conwy is lovely with lots of individual shops - great ceramic co-operative shop; chocolate shop and truly great independent offlicence.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TheLewises
newcastle
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I have organised an annual reunion for 14 couples for 10 years now and this hotel has stood head and shoulders above all of the rest.
From the first contact with the private owners of this family business to checking out of the hotel nothing was less than first class with particular attention being paid to detail.
My party was given our own private meeting lounge, the food was outstanding, rooms where very clean,warm and inviting.
The bar area had an outstanding choice of beers and largers with service to match.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank rockyandzak
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Just wanted to respond via Trip Advisor, although I know we've communicated since your visit. Just want to say 'Thank you' for your custom, it was a pleasure to look after you and your colleagues.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Well where do i start! Right from the word off, we had nothing but excellent service. I had planned a long weekend away in north wales at Pontins, Prestatyn Sands for myself, husband and two children aged 15 and 12. Before i go anywhere else, at all cost stay away from Pontins, all i will say is meat market and Chav's. To cut a long story short, we should of stayed at Pontins for 3 nights but after a really stressful and unslept first night we decided to leave the next day. I had planned a day at tree top adventure and after that we should have returned to Pontins but as we had checked out early we had no where to stay. My husband had phoned lots of hotels which had shown on the Sat Nav beginning with Travelodge, we was told they had no family rooms and only the disabled room left but would not sleep all four of us. My husband asked for any hotels which they could recommend and the Castle Hotel was one of them. At first when we phoned they had rooms available but no family rooms, therefore two double rooms was going to cost us £240, we just didn't have the money for this but we told the receptionist our situation and that we may get back to them once we had phoned other hotels. After being on the phone for about an hour contacting other hotels with no vacancies we decided we should cut our losses and travel the 130 miles back home and visit Snowdon another time. At this time my husband's phone rang and it was the Castle Hotel, my husband had spoke to Lorriane the receptionist, she has spoken to the manager and explanied our situation about Pontins. We was offered the two double rooms for £120 and just had to pay £20 for the children to have breakfast. We decided to take it! It was the best £140 ever paid for a 4* hotel. The hotel was easy to find, great free car parking, yes it was narrow to get too, but when parking is free its a bonus so take it! On entering the front door, we felt at home. We was able to speak to Lorriane she was fantastic (Thank you so much, you saved the day for us). Lorriane was so helpful, we have never known any hotel to phone you back with an offer to stay the night (Thanks again) We was given two rooms next to each other, what can i say about the rooms, Oh My God, again fantastic! Big rooms with en suite and king sized beds, both looking on to the high street. The only noise you get is from the parked cars in front of the hotel, we heard car doors being closed but only until 10.30 and then nothing else. The bed was so soft, a great nights sleep! There is so much to see within walking distance, in fact its a better place for couple's than a family with teenagers but for us as an overnight stay, GREAT! In the morning, the service again was fantastic, breakfast as my husband would say....the best cooked breakfast ever and well worth the money. We was seated straight away and offered coffee or tea with toast as we sat. Within minutes we was asked whether we would a cooked breakfast and continental was available as well. My husband and children tell me it was the best cooked breakfast ever and the continental was as you would expect. We did not use the bar as we were so tired from the previous night but it looked very welcoming. We had no problems with the hotel and we will visit again, if you want a hotel that is 4* with excellent service and fantastic staff this is the place for you!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank traceyscales
plavin1906, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Thank you for the very positive review. Sorry it has taken a little while to respond, just getting the hang of this Trip Advisor thing!!
I remember your visit very well and Lorraine coming into my office to ask if we could do anything to help you. Very pleased that we did and you enjoyed your stay.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I just wanted to highlight the food at this hotel. It is excellent! For me it was great soup and wonderful Welsh lamb all washed down with some very tasty Welsh beer. I feel this hotel is perfectly located, the rooms are good, and the sevice I received was excellent.The big plus is that it is not a chain. It seems to be a family run business and therefore a unique experience.If you are staying in this area-and there is every reason to visit beautiful North Wales- then give this hotel careful consideration,and if you like good food,do not pass it by!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Faeforfar
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I stayed for a long weekend at the Castle Hotel with my family for my Mum and Dad's ruby wedding. From the first enquiry I made, the staff could not have been more helpful or accommodating. Our rooms were gorgeously and individually furnished, and the bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in in a hotel. The housekeeping staff were very helpful and the rooms were spotless. The breakfasts were fantastic, and the staff so helpful and friendly. The bar, lounge, and dining room are all newly and tastefully furnished, retaining all the historic character but with a clean modern twist. We can definitely recommend the Sunday lunch, and all the food we had was of a hugely high quality and beautifully and thoughtfully presented. The attitude of all the staff we met throughout the stay was brilliantly helpful and friendly, and nothing was too much trouble, even accommodating a large family group and allowing us to bring things into the hotel for the anniversary celebrations. My Mum and Dad had a wonderful celebration, thanks to the superb service and facilities at the Hotel. I'm stratching my head and can't think of a single negative thing about any aspect of our stay - and it wasn't just good, it really was outstanding. Thank you all so much.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Stayed here not so long ago. The room was clean and tidy as it should have been. The suite we stayed in looked to have had a recent make over. The rest of the hotel was tired and in need of some maintenance and house keeping. The staff were not the most friendly or helpful. Overall I did enjoy the stay but did not see the money we had payed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
The Quay Hotel & Spa
Chateau Rhianfa
Chateau Rhianfa
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
Ruthin Castle Hotel

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!