“Small room not as discribed, unclean and poor staff attitude.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Conwy
“Small room not as discribed, unclean and poor staff attitude.”
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I had heard great reviews about this hotel both from word of mouth and via trip advisor. Upon arival the hotel looked lovely however after checking in i went to my room wich can only be described as a box room, it had a musty smell and my personal opinion was that the room had not been cleaned properly.

I was highly disapointed but as i was only staying the one night for work and i wasnt paying for it i decided to let it go and just get some food downstairs. However after ordering my meal that sounded fantastic from the description, when it arived it was average at best and highly over priced. I was not asked if i was happy with my meal by any member of staff and when i did mention my dissaproval of the quality of the meal to a young female member of staff they were very uninterested. When i begrudgingly paid my bill i found several drinks on it wich i had not had, im glad i checked my bill! I complained again and was confronted by an extremely young manager who had the poorest attitude of all the staff, he came across as very overpowering as an older woman and made me feel particularly uncomfortable with his condisending tone of voice. I was offered no discount for the meal and he was not hiding the fact that he thought i was lieing about the drinks on the bill. I did eventualy have the drinks removed under protest.

I will never visit this hotel again, it is unfortunate as it is in a beautiful part of the country and has alot of charm. However that could never compensate for the low standards and terrible attitude off staff and even worse management.

• Stayed July 2010
7 Thank Sbj100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights at the Castle Hotel in August. The hotel was very nice and we enjoyed our stay. There was however some confusion on check-in, the room we were given didn’t seem quite as nice as I had expected for a Deluxe and when I asked it transpired that I had been given an inferior room without being told. I complained and the staff were quick to hold their hands up and say that they were over booked – they resolved the problem quickly and efficiently however this did require us to stay in two different rooms on the two separate nights.

Both rooms we stayed in were spacious, clean and well presented. Room 17 had a bath in the corner of the room which was fun – although I think this is the only room that has this feature so make sure you requested it if that is important to you.

We ate in the hotel both nights – I would advise booking in advance as it was quite busy (although this may have been due to the bank holiday). The food was excellent and well cooked. The breakfasts were also to a good quality.

The hotel has two car parks – one open plan and just opposite the hotel and the main car park behind the hotel. The main car park could only be accessed via a narrow entrance with brick walls – be careful, a wide supercar would struggle to get through.

2 Thank Exige28
Devon
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Having spent my childhood in Conwy I love the town anyway so I am biased, but Conwy is a great little place and there is such a lot to see; the castle, the walls, Plas Mawr, etc and walks along the coast or on the mountain; visit Snowdon. It is also very compact and everything is within a few minutes walk including the shops, the quay and the railway station.
The Castle Hotel is not cheap (look out for special offers) but the historic building is beautifully decorated and furnished in classic style; the staff are lovely, so friendly and welcoming. Our room was spacious, tasteful and very comfortable with free wifi, a view of the High St and super bathroom. The food is by a high ranking chef and it shows - everything was superbly cooked and beautifully presented and a joy to eat.
And it has its own car park which is a bonus in a walled town where parking can be a problem. We love you, Castle Hotel and we'll be back, most definitely. Five Stars!.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mutleygirl
Essex
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Recently enjoyed a four day break at The Castle, an ideal base for visiting the sights of North Wales.

Could not find anything to fault about the hotel. Had noted some earlier posts concerning the attitude of the staff, but found everyone from the reception through bar and waiting staff, to the owner, friendly, polite and helpful. Both my wife and myself noticed a particular relaxing ambience about the place.

Our suite (room 207) was really well furnished and clean, with a spa type corner bath, flat screen tv which rose majesticaly from the ottoman at the foot of our so comfy, queen sized double bed. The bonus is a splendid view of historic Conwy Castle from both bedroom and bathroom.

Breakfast was excellent, freshly prepared with a large range of choices.
The Castle has a restaurant, lounge bar and quiet lounge on the ground floor. Meals can be taken in either restaurant or bar, and there is also room service. We dined there twice during our stay and found the food very enjoyable.

The bar has a wide range, which includes some hoppy tasting local cask ales.
All in all, a really enjoyable experience. A trifle pricey, but well worth it.

One point I should make about the lovely little town of Conwy, is that there seems to be a limited choice of evening dining options, if you didn't want to dine in the hotel every night. There's an Italian and a rather tatty looking Indian just up from the hotel, the pub accross from the hotel does food and there is a small restaurant (also opposite the hotel), but it was not open every night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
mainlinemadelyn
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Please do not be influenced by any recent negative reviews of this beautiful property. A few days prior to our scheduled five day stay at The Castle Hotel, we became concerned with some postings of recent weeks. Being seasoned travelors, we phoned the hotel management and expressed our apprehension. Without being defensive, an owner took 20 minutes to explain situations and assured us of a lovely room and great service. Upon arrival, we were led to a beautiful room, which I was convinced was a deluxe room. However, tt was a price grade below, a superior. In fact, we had the opportunity to view many room including the lowest priced club rooms. Every room we saw was lovely and beautifully decorated. Rooms are priced by size and the difference among the three classes is minimal in space. We did have a front facing room and on weekend nights, like so many towns, the young town residents can be quite noisy. A back facing room would be better for the light sleepers. Yes there is a car park (which is quite a convenience I would think) but you also can see the castle if you look straight ahead instead of looking down.

The food at the Castle Hotel is truly first rate. Breakfasts are cooked to order and are generous. We dined four nights at the restaurant and were never disappointed. In fact, we even made a special request to the chef for a rack of lamb (for two) which he graciously prepared at a very reasonable price. It truly was perfect. All desserts are outstanding and the service is informative and very friendly. On Sunday, we opted for the afternoon Sunday roast dinner of Welch beef and Yorkshire Pudding. It, too, was wonderful.

This hotel is a family run operation and the care and personal investment is evident throughout. The rooms are well appointed, the common areas are historic and food and service will not disappoint.

knutsford
Reviewed August 27, 2010

On Arriving at the Castle Hotel from the rear car park I was dissapointed and thought my choice of Hotel had been a mistake. It needs a lick of paint and a tidy up !
Reception wasn't much better carpet shabby and just a window in the office wall to greet guest through.
After being told where are room was on the First floor ( no lift ) I got a very pleasant surprise
Bright and well decorated landing and our rooms where very clean, spacious and very comfortable. Ensuite bathroom large and spotless.
We did't eat that evening in the Hotel as we wanted to see more of Conwy, we visited a lovely old pub on the bottom road for a drink and ate Italian.
Breakfast in the Hotel was as good as you are going to get, buffet table and Cooked food whatever you fancied. Staff very pleasant.
The only niggle I have and it's not the Hotels fault because the Castle is one of the main roads through Conwy we where woken quite early 5.30 am and as one of your other subscribers have mentioned that Church Clock stricking on the quarter and the hour. After a few nights I am sure it wouldn't bother you!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
North West
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Needing somewhere in Conwy to stay for a couple of nights I had no hesitation to contact the Castle Hotel as ive stayed there on two occasions and have had no problem.

As a single person im always weary of staying in hotels as I usually get the smallest room with a dreadful views of back alleys, bins etc.

I eagerly arrived at the Castle and check-in was very smooth and pleasant. Was given my room key, Room 111 and I looked forward to a peaceful quiet couple of nights.

The Receptionist wished me 'Good luck' in finding the room which I thought was a little odd. The room was in a side corridor with nithing else but the Fire Escape. I was sad to see the size of the room, compared to the other rooms in the Hotel. But being here only for 2 nights, the size was not a major issue. Small single bed is always a slight disappointment. The bathroom was small and the view was a brick wall!

But what really disappointed me was the incredible heat in the room. There was a fan but it didnt work. The heat was terrific. It may be August but certainly not hot outside. The heat was bad that it was very difficult to sleep. If that wasn't bad enough, a rattle began in the early hours of the morning that kept going until mid-morning. Getting out of bed to find this rattle I realised that it was coming from the wall the bed was against. It sounded like a boiler but I don't know. With the heat and the noise I got no sleep at all!

Something I've never done is to ask for another room. The Receptionist told me 'No' and suggested that if it was too bad I should keep a window open and move the bed! There is simply nowhere the bed can go because of the size of the room.

It was the same for the second night.

I'm sad about this because its blighted my previous happy experiences of the hotel and would be very reluctant to go again also because of very unhelpful staff.

If any single people book, make sure you do not get this room!

2 Thank StoneycroftNorthWest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conwy
The Quay Hotel & Spa
#18 of 60 in Llandudno
The Clontarf Hotel
The Clontarf Hotel
#6 of 60 in Llandudno

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!