“Very interesting castle”

Book In Advance
More Info
$703.63*
and up
5-Day Heart of England Tour from London: North Wales, Stratford-upon-Avon...
More Info
$1,346.62*
and up
Best of England and Wales 9 day (Small Group) tour from London
Ranked #2 of 40 things to do in Conwy
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in the late 13th century and reputed to be haunted by a past resident, this picturesque castle was built for King Edward I and is a perfect example of the "concentric castle" design.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Conwy castle overlooks the estuary, and dominates the surroundings from both banks of the river. The castle itself is fairly intact, and is well worth a visit. The views from the top of one of the several towers is really awe inspiring. Recommended most highly.

2  Thank Paul S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,693)

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Not a great fan of castles but this is amazing! I walked on the walls and you had a fantastic view. So well preserved as well.

1  Thank Sharon-Veritas
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Yesterday was the most recent of many visits to Conwy and its exceptional castle. Every time I visit I learn something new; find a new nook; or discover a new viewpoint and/or perspective. Yesterday i enjoyed sharing some of these with my Grand Daughter. As a child its just great to explore.

As an Adult who enjoys history its great to admire the engineering that made the medieval castle the most advanced military technology of its day. The thing that makes Conwy stand out is the town walls and harbour and how they complete the story of how the castle dominated the surrounding area. its also great to see the excitement on the faces of your children.

As a Grumpy Old Man its just great to see your children run round after your Grand Children whilst you just relax and laugh at them. The views from the towers are wonderful. The climbs to the top are not easy and some children will not find them easy. Indeed some adults baulk at the prospect! But if you can grit your teeth and persevere the rewards are worth it.

One thing I did notice this time was the subtle, almost subliminal message of English bad / Poor Welsh indoctrination. I've never noticed it before. Come on CADR. We are all British now and it was 800 years ago. That said I envisage that one day I will maraud across the border and have to decline the opportunity to climb the towers because my knee's wont be able to get me up the stairs. I'll still take pleasure in waving to the smiling faces of my Grand Children at the top of the towers, And hopefully one day my Great Grand Children.

If you are going to Conwy you will obviously be going to visit the castle. If its your first visit i would order the guide book before you travel because it will give you a head start about where to go and what to do. If you are a visitor to the UK and wish to explore its history, do not miss Conwy and its castle. Widely regarded as one of the best preserved Medieval Town Wall and Castle Fortification in Europe.

1  Thank DP1966
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The castle is very impressive and the story you read as you walk round is interesting. Possibly not the best place to visit if (like me) you are scared of heights though! The stairways are very narrow and steep up to the tower... I powered on through though... Mostly because there was a little 7 year old girl virtually running up the stairs whilst I was clinging to the walls for dear life... Anyway... if you're not a wimp and scared of heights like I am, I certainly would recommend it! :)

1  Thank Kaz6484
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Excellent value for money - when I visited there was a reconstruction day and it really added life to the castle. Highly recommended