“lovely position on a sunny day”
Review of The Foxhunter

The Foxhunter
Ranked #19 of 104 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We have eaten here several times and always enjoyed the food and atmosphere.The starter of Monkfish tail tempura was the best I have ever eaten. My friends and I always enjoy it here.

3  Thank WalesBluebell

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Watch Matt's shows on TV but hadn't visited The Foxhunter before. Lived up to expectations, food is simple and delicious, you can tell he uses all the best quality ingredients. The bread is amazing.
We had white peach salad which was sublime, and the steak was the best I've tasted in a long time. Service is relaxed and fun, the girls are great.
Made sure I saved room for the chocolate pot which was served with great homemade biscuits.

2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I had the plaice and my husband the steak both excellent, along with a pasta starter and a prawn starter and a bread and butter pudding. All excellent quality and delicious. A bottle of chilled white to drink before & during the meal, The service was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was pleasantly designed in keeping with the age of the Inn. We stayed overnight at the adjoining cottage owned by the Inn which we would recommend for couples, especially wishing to tour the area.

1  Thank lal666
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Having tried various other restaurants in the area , such as The Walnut Tree and 1861 ( our favourite) we were looking forward to eating at the Foxhunter. We arrived on a lovely Friday to find the restaurant surprisingly empty - only one other couple eating. First impressions were that the restaurant has been thoughtfully and attractively designed and furnished- very stylish . The food, however was disappointing. When our main course plates were collected, by way of explanation as to why I had left half of my steak, I said that it was rather tough and chewy, I was told ’ I should go for medium rare rather than rare' I had ' started eating at the wrong end of the steak' and everyone in the kitchen had tried my left overs and thought them ’perfect' ! ( hmm- I was the one who had paid for it) All this was done very pleasantly with a smile, but was actually very patronising . Whatever happened to customer satisfaction? We left without dessert, I paid my share of the bill, £42 for two courses and two coffees and will not be returning.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

6 June's menu was (as always), absolutely full of tempting combinations. I had never tried Razor Clams, so to find them on the menu was brilliant. They were served with a lovely, spicy Chorizo. Next was Pork Loin With Bubble & Squeak And Salsa Verde - gorgeous! To follow was creamy Lemon Posset With plump Strawberries And crisp Cantucci - a great end to the meal. A bottle of chilled white to drink before & during the meal, along with a good, strong espresso and hand made truffles afterwards made an already superb meal into an amazing one. With friendly, professional & perfectly timed service, along with an exciting and expertly crafted menu, Matt & Lisa have a venue that any foodie should head for.

1  Thank RobinC35