“Great food, but a very quiet day”
Review of The Foxhunter

The Foxhunter
Ranked #18 of 104 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Wanted to come here for a while and booked lunch here on a wet and windy January lunchtime, just after Xmas and we were one of only two tables (it was time of year, Im sure!). Had a set 2 course lunch menu which was extremely tasty and for we ate, good value. Really good dishes, using fine ingredients, cooked well. Couldnt ask for more than that. It was a shame there was little atmosphere, but the ower/chef's wife made us very welcome and chatted. I would certainly return in the evening for a special meal, as Im sure the standard would be high.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We went to the Foxhunter for a Saturday evening meal. We booked well in advance expecting it to be very busy but it was less than half full.
We had read various reviews but went will open minds. The menu was quite short (not necessarily a bad thing). We chose two starters, the two fish dishes for main courses and two different puddings.Including a bottle of wine (chosen from an excellent wine list) the bill came to over £100. For this price we expected a meal better than I would cook at home.
.The wild garlic soup and duck terrine were OK but nothing special. The brill and sea bass were both excellent fresh pieces of fish well cooked. However the bortoli beans and some rather chewy pieces of ham hock did not enhance the dish. Likewise I found the cold mussels in a vinaigrette? dressing rather odd with the sea bass.. The parsnip crisps were very tasty. The puddings, like the starters, were unexciting.
We were served by some pleasant young ladies who had a casual rather than professional approach.
All in all not a special evening and not really value for money.

2  Thank glenken
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I was very much looking forward to Sunday lunch here. It is in a lovely location and the restaurant was comfortable. The service was ok perhaps a bit brusque, the waitress wanted to clear my starter cutlery after she had put down my main course there were quite a few empty tables so they were not under pressure. They brought the wine but as I did not have a wine glass my husband took one from the next table. The bread we had with the starters was ok but some was rather doughy it needed longer in the oven. My husband enjoyed his venison and liver suet pudding starter but his pork main course had 2 quite big pieces of bone which he did not find until they were in his mouth! My beef was ok but it came with horseradish cream that tasted of nothing certainly no horseradish. My pannacotta desert was nice but melting badly on the plate when it got to the table and the waitress made an excuse saying that's what they do. Matt came out of the kitchen to talk to some friends on the next table it would have been nice if he had spoken to some other diners too to see if we had enjoyed our meal.
It was a good meal not a great meal would we go again yes but only because I would hope a meal cooked by Matt could be better than that and perhaps we were unlucky

1  Thank 722wearytraveller
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Have visited the Foxhunter previously in the evening so this was the first visit for Sunday lunch. As it was my husbands birthday my son and his partner drove over from Bath to meet us. We rang in advance to check out the vegetarian menu and it was better than in some vegetarian restaurants. Even though my son arrived late we were not hurried at all and had a lovely leisurely meal.
The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere , with a good selection of bottled ales and wines by the glass.
The starter of venison and duck liver suet pudding was superb and would have been happy with that as a main course. The set menu is excellent value for money and we will certainly go back.

1  Thank Welshtyke01
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Called here recently following a visit to Abergavenny. Had the lunch menu which was excellent. Service friendly and unpretentious. I had the starter of octopus carpaccio followed by the main, rib eye on the bone, cheese and salami to finish and a bottle of excellent Rioja for company. Cooked by Mr Tebbut the whole meal was both faultless and delicious.