“A 5-meal haven”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
“A 5-meal haven”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I just cannot get enough of The Foxhunter - this time I stayed for 2 nights in the cottage (just at the opposite end of the row to the restaurant), and enjoyed 5 meals in the restaurant. From Friday lunch until Sunday lunch, each meal could not be faulted.

As I've always found, the service is friendly, unobtrusive, professional & perfectly timed to allow you to enjoy each course before the next arrives. Lisa and all "front of house", thank you - the warmth of welcome and care throughout service is superb.

Chef Matt is someone I'm happy to try new & different foods with - I trust completely in his (and his kitchen teams) skills. During my stay this time, I enjoyed a wide range of dishes from velvety soups to boozy Armagnac soaked prunes, succulent poached scallops to perfectly pink lamb. Thank you, chef (and team) - I'm looking forward to the next new taste.

A great 3 day break in wonderful countryside, dining at an amazing restaurant with great company and relaxing in a cosy cottage. I couldn't have wished for a better time.

South Wales
“Brilliant lunch”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Despite not having prebooked, we were welcomed to lunch and had a great meal in a relaxed environment.
The food could not be faulted, the service was attentive but unobtrusive.
Can't wait for another special occasion to return.

1 Thank Italylover1
Usk, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Looked forward to a little treat. However, were met with a lack lustre greeting which continued throughout the service - Mrs Tebbit brings nothing to the occasion, no interaction, no warmth just mediocrity. The food was reasonable, drinks, particularly beers, were hugely overpriced ( £7.10 per pint). If you want to spend a lot of money and leave wondering why, choose the foxhunter.

4 Thank Stuart L
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
“Quick lunch visit”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

An almost "spur of the moment" lunch at one of my favourite restaurants. Once again I travelled using public transport - leaving my home at 6am & arriving at The Foxhunter around 12.30. I then left at 4pm to make my way home.

I chose the set lunch menu. My starter of parsnip soup with parsnip crisps was creamy & warming, a good start & welcome on a rainy day. For my main I chose a steak, mushroom & potato pie with greens - large chunks of tender meat in a thick gravy & topped with creamy mash - very filling! After a short "breather", I then chose a dessert of vanilla pot with armagnac soaked prunes & chocolate sauce which rounded the meal off superbly. With a glass of Matt's orange liqueur, a couple of glasses of wine & some coffee, the lunch was a wonderful post-xmas treat.

I have ALWAYS had exceptional service & food here, so it puzzles me why some people are dissatisfied. Strangely, some of them have only EVER posted 1 review which leads me to think they perhaps aren't writing personal experiences. Another reason to take those reviews with a pinch of salt is that they have not replied to questions I have asked - its as though they have only opened an account to try & damage the reputation of an amazing restaurant.

The regulars in The Foxhunter KNOW how good it is, and after hearing what my fellow diners had to say during my visit, there are at least another two couples who WILL be returning - and telling their family & friends to visit.

• Visited January 2013
Tredegar, United Kingdom
“disappointing, overpriced, will never return”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We looked forward to our visit as a romantic prelude to Christmas however, we were sorely disappointed. The menu was limited and the drinks were ridiculously over- priced. We ordered the rack of lamb which morphed into two small lamb chops on half a plate of red cabbage, the mash was almost runny and the kale was tough, the lamb chops were tasteless. The presentation was poor. The tables were too close together so we could hear the conversation at nearby tables, the chairs were uncomfortable. We paid £67 for two main courses and two drinks and would have had better food and value at the local Wetherspoons, in fact, we have had better food at the local Wetherspoons. We are used to paying for quality but on this occasion we felt ripped off. We will never go there again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Visited December 2012